Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 10:32 AM

28 posts, read 24,454 times

Advertisements

I currently reside in Mequon renting a townhome and now looking to buy a home with my fiancé. We moved to Milwaukee (I consider Mequon to be a part of Milwaukee) two years ago from NYC and I’ve been told I struck gold and moved to the best suburb in the area. So people from all over have urged me to look for a home in Mequon so I have started doing so. However Fox Point and the northern shore have great homes as Mequon does except the taxes in Milwaukee County are expensive. I’m also extremely impressed with Germantown. It’s a lot like Mequon. I saw a home in Mequon, Germantown and Glendale I liked a lot and want to make moves. Brookfield was another town that was nice. Someone told me however I should also consider looking at Franklin or Oak Creek. I was told they don’t hold up to Mequon, the northshore, or Germantown. I saw some homes in Franklin and Oak Creek that were nice however. What do you guys recommend? I’m looking for a nice suburban life now at this point in my life with proximity to the city (Milwaukee). Definitely would like a great school system and was told again Mequon-Cedarburg was the best. I’m confused and I’m leaning toward the northshore since it’s what I know. Should I look to the southshore? What is it like? I was told the northshore was by far better but liked what I saw in some of the homes in Oak Creek and Franklin. What makes the northshore superior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2020, 04:26 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,096,556 times
I wouldn't even consider Oak Creek, not that it' bad it's just blandville. Franklin has some nicer areas but Mequon is just nice overall. I would stay in Mequon, best school district in the state, low taxes, very low crime, property values rises very nice year after year. Mequon feels like you are 20 miles outside the city but you're just 20-30min away.

Old 10-01-2020, 06:12 PM

5,974 posts, read 7,363,448 times
And you can go golfing at Missing Links, too! Pimples, not dimples!

RM

Old 10-02-2020, 06:59 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,747,345 times
They're all about the same.
I've noticed locals seem to nitpick based on where they live or what they like, but when we lived the area, a lot of those outer suburbs seemed almost identical to me.
Choose the house you like where you like. None of those places mentioned are "by far better" than the others.

Old 10-03-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
They're all about the same.
I've noticed locals seem to nitpick based on where they live or what they like, but when we lived the area, a lot of those outer suburbs seemed almost identical to me.
Choose the house you like where you like. None of those places mentioned are "by far better" than the others.

Mequon is head and shoulders above the rest and it ain't even that close. Best school district in the state, lowest property taxes in the Milwaukee area besides Town of Delafield, Median home value $400,000, median household income $120,000, one of Wisconsin's safest cities, huge home lots, hunting allowed, very clean and manicured homes and yards, horse's and goats and other animals allowed, nice smooth roads, great parks and nature areas and a great sense of community. I might be a little biased but there is no other area I would rather live in the Milwaukee area, maybe Ottawa for it's nice rural forest feel and the state forest areas and the Ice Age Trail.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:54 PM

25,575 posts, read 56,451,817 times
Don't consider the south side - nor Germantown. Mindset of residents is very different from that of Mequon or the North Shore. Provincial is putting it mildly. Especially since you've come from NYC. Granted, politically Ozaukee County is more conservative. But the level of education and professional status of its residents is the highest in the four county area. Creme de la creme. Stick w/Mequon or the North Shore.

Old 10-09-2020, 04:26 AM

5,974 posts, read 7,363,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Don't consider the south side - nor Germantown. Mindset of residents is very different from that of Mequon or the North Shore. Provincial is putting it mildly. Especially since you've come from NYC. Granted, politically Ozaukee County is more conservative. But the level of education and professional status of its residents is the highest in the four county area. Creme de la creme. Stick w/Mequon or the North Shore.
Agreed, speaking as someone who used to live in Port Washington. More conservative and far more white collar.

RM

Old 10-09-2020, 06:14 PM

Mequon is full of people who transplanted from other states, doctors, finance employees, etc..

Also when professional players come to Milwaukee to play for the Bucks, Brewers they don't move to Franklin or Oak Creek, they move to typically the north shore, just saying. Nothing wrong with those areas but if I had to choose one of the south suburbs, Franklin would probably be it.

Old 10-19-2020, 11:22 AM

28 posts, read 24,454 times
Yes, I'm leaning toward Mequon now at this point. Still looking at Germantown, Fox Point and Bayside.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:04 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,885,691 times
Officially, last year the best was Brookfield. Mequon was in the finals. Franklin- Oak Creek never makes it there.
I would stay away from Milwaukee county because of taxes and recent events. Germantown, Cedarburg, Grafton are good. Mequon seems to be a bit overpriced this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee