Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,261 times

Advertisements

My wife is planning to take up a job in West Bend. We currently live in Racine. I would like to have some information about West Bend. We have not decided whether to move or commute from Racine. We have 2 kids - 1 and 3 yrs old, so we are looking for a city with good schools, quiet neighbourhood, low crime rate, basically a good place to raise a family.
Any inputs or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 12:50 AM

709 posts, read 656,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyyy View Post
My wife is planning to take up a job in West Bend. We currently live in Racine. I would like to have some information about West Bend. We have not decided whether to move or commute from Racine. We have 2 kids - 1 and 3 yrs old, so we are looking for a city with good schools, quiet neighbourhood, low crime rate, basically a good place to raise a family.
Any inputs or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
WB is alright; not too big but not too small. Think Mt. Pleasant, minus the east edge and parts that cut into Racine itself.

Living here would definately be better than a commute from the Racine area. There are many places you can look at depending on what you want, e.g. right in the city, a cookie-cutter subdivision, or some land out in the country.

I live on the south side off Vine. What type of price range are you looking at? My house is worth about $165 now, and most houses in my neighborhood are pretty comparable.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,900 times
I grew up in West Bend. DON'T MOVE THERE!!! I say this because there is nothing there. Fond du Lac would be better!!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:06 PM

8,288 posts, read 23,096,556 times
Quote:
I grew up in West Bend. DON'T MOVE THERE!!! I say this because there is nothing there. Fond du Lac would be better!!
Just his/her opinion I wouldn't put too much weight on it. If your moving there to raise a family it's perfect very clean and safe and cheap. Nice standard of living. Great schools, great people. This is coming from a guy who used to hate wb but since I used to work their, I now I have a great respect for the town and it's people. Plus 40min from downtown Milw isn't bad either.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:40 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,709,327 times
With all due respect (seriously...not said in jest) to all, I would not particularly want to live in West Bend (too still rural, out there, semi-farm-laden personna for my tastes).

HOWEVER,

I would probably rather live in the WB than Racine (although that might be close) but would easily / EASILY rather live in the WB over Fond du Lac.

I think I would rather eat rat poison than live in Fond du Lac.

West Bend is what it is. It is an emerging exurb of Milwaukee, although having been a youthful Milwaukeean in the late-70s and then 80s, to me West Bend still hangs on to what I remember at that time - a bit of the farm/rural element that some like and others, like me, would rather avoid.

It is however a very quiet, safe, traditional area and surely a very nice place for a young family if you don't mind the non-urban or even kind of "out there" for suburban.

Nothing really *wrong* with the WB. In fact, it is one of the more affordable suburbs for young families. It just still has a bit too much Hartford in it for my tastes.

But compared to "Fond du Lac"??? Jeez, give me the WB any day.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:57 PM

56 posts, read 214,720 times
West Bend is a nice small city. I think it's comparable to Racine, though smaller. There are a lot of hills up there that make the landscape quite picturesque. I guess the downside is that there's not a lot going on up there and a lot of things you would have to drive closer to Milwaukee for.

It's a pretty quick commute (almost all expressway) from Germantown to West Bend if you prefer to be closer to Milwaukee. If I worked in West Bend I would probably look at living in Germantown and commuting up there. The schools there are pretty good and the prices are decent for the houses and neighborhoods available there. Lots of families there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee