Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 06:23 PM

33 posts, read 75,306 times

Advertisements

Brookfield would be my last choice. It’s boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2022, 07:48 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood1964 View Post
Brookfield would be my last choice. It’s boring.

Brookfield is like New Berlin but with shopping.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:10 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
Once you get past the inner suburbs, it's all kinda the same for those outer suburbs.
Then you have communities a little ways out like Port Washington and Cedarburg which are pretty cool.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:01 PM

21 posts, read 16,569 times
I lived in Mequon and my husband and I moved our family out to Lake Country about 15 years ago and never looked back. There is NOTHING to do in Mequon except go to your country club and gossip. I'm being facetious, but I'm an outside gal too and I didn't really like golf. What I liked is being near water and in the Lake Country suburbs, we are close to approximately 20+ lakes. Besides kayaking and boating on Lake Nagawicka and Pewaukee Lake, we have a pool in our backyard. ( You can tell I like water).

The nature trails here are fabulous. I'm a big supporter of the Ice Age Trail and I hike all the time with friends and family. The county parks are beautiful (Nashotah Park, Nagawaukee) and then there is Lapham Peak State Park. Biking is big here too. We've got some great bike trails.

All the things we do in Lake Country are not just in summer. We cross country ski at Lapham Peak and we still hike on trails in all parks. Check out The Friends of Lapham Peak. Covid didn't stop us from much out here in Lake Country. You can't catch covid while cross country skiing!

Downtown Delafield is a favorite hangout of mine. My friends and I are going on an art walk there tomorrow morning. I also love the Friends of Delafield Library as there is always a great book sale in the summer.

If your husband is going to work at Froedert then he is not too far away from Wauwatosa. I'm just guessing this is where he might be going.

I know Wisconsin is going to be a big shock to you coming from California. The weather is pretty hard to deal with so my thoughts are to keep it easy and don't buy in Whitefish Bay where you will have a detached garage! UGH And Mequon is ALL the same. It's just subdivision after subdivision. Here in Lake Country there is a mixture of ages and people from Hartland, Delafield, Pewaukee, Oconomowoc and Nashotah.

Arrowhead school district is near the top in the state. There is also University Lake School and the Lutheran High School in Hartland or Catholic schools like St. Charles or St. Anthony's.

I grew up in an upscale Chicago suburb and was living in downtown Chicago when I decided to marry a guy in Mequon, WI! I think Mequon was more like Chicago suburbs but that is only because there are no lakes! There definitely wasn't any good restaurants or shopping when I lived there. I can't say we have a ton of good shopping in Lake Country, but I go to Brookfield for all that and it's only 15 min. away. I love the new Von Maur and the new shops at The Corners of Brookfield.

As for restaurants in Lake Country, check out: Fishbones, Belfre, ID Restaurant, Beer Snobs and Revere's. Oconomowoc as a great place we go for the atmosphere -Lago Su bella. Bella Gusto is a favorite of ours too.

Good Luck with everything! Whatever you choose, welcome to Wisconsin!

Old 05-20-2022, 02:08 PM

21 posts, read 16,569 times
I lived in Mequon and my husband and I moved our family out to Lake Country about 15 years ago and never looked back. There is NOTHING to do in Mequon except go to your country club and gossip. I'm being facetious, but I'm an outside gal too and I didn't really like golf. What I liked is being near water and in the Lake Country suburbs, we are close to approximately 20+ lakes. Besides kayaking and boating on Lake Nagawicka and Pewaukee Lake, we have a pool in our backyard. ( You can tell I like water).

The nature trails here are fabulous. I'm a big supporter of the Ice Age Trail and I hike all the time with friends and family. The county parks are beautiful (Nashotah Park, Nagawaukee) and then there is Lapham Peak State Park. Biking is big here too. We've got some great bike trails.

All the things we do in Lake Country are not just in summer. We cross country ski at Lapham Peak and we still hike on trails in all parks. Check out The Friends of Lapham Peak. Covid didn't stop us from much out here in Lake Country. You can't catch covid while cross country skiing!

Downtown Delafield is a favorite hangout of mine. My friends and I are going on an art walk there tomorrow morning. I also love the Friends of Delafield Library as there is always a great book sale in the summer.

If your husband is going to work at Froedert then he is not too far away from Wauwatosa. I'm just guessing this is where he might be going.

I know Wisconsin is going to be a big shock to you coming from California. The weather is pretty hard to deal with so my thoughts are to keep it easy and don't buy in Whitefish Bay where you will have a detached garage! UGH And Mequon is ALL the same. It's just subdivision after subdivision. Here in Lake Country there is a mixture of ages and people from Hartland, Delafield, Pewaukee, Oconomowoc and Nashotah.

Arrowhead school district is near the top in the state. There is also University Lake School and the Lutheran High School in Hartland or Catholic schools like St. Charles or St. Anthony's.

I grew up in an upscale Chicago suburb and was living in downtown Chicago when I decided to marry a guy in Mequon, WI! I think Mequon was more like Chicago suburbs but that is only because there are no lakes! There definitely wasn't any good restaurants or shopping when I lived there. I can't say we have a ton of good shopping in Lake Country, but I go to Brookfield for all that and it's only 15 min. away. I love the new Von Maur and the new shops at The Corners of Brookfield.

As for restaurants in Lake Country, check out: Fishbones, Belfre, ID Restaurant, Beer Snobs and Revere's. Oconomowoc as a great place we go for the atmosphere -Lago Su bella. Bella Gusto is a favorite of ours too.

Good Luck with everything! Whatever you choose, welcome to Wisconsin!

Old 05-21-2022, 06:24 AM

327 posts, read 132,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Broiler View Post
I lived in Mequon and my husband and I moved our family out to Lake Country about 15 years ago and never looked back. There is NOTHING to do in Mequon except go to your country club and gossip.
Except the location is ideal. Door county or the northwoods to the north and Milwaukee and Chicago to the south. So you can choose county or city events or just stay home where it's safe and boring. It depends on how you want to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee