Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2008, 11:16 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,973 times

Advertisements

I once broke down and had my car fixed at a local Ford stealership and wow!! They must have thought that I was a millionaire or something(despite the fact that I drive an old, beatup car). Any good, honest and reasonable mechanics around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 12:32 PM

448 posts, read 1,819,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I once broke down and had my car fixed at a local Ford stealership and wow!! They must have thought that I was a millionaire or something(despite the fact that I drive an old, beatup car). Any good, honest and reasonable mechanics around?
Dealerships are always high priced. It's always better to find a neighborhood garage near where you live or work to make it the most convenient. Actually the same goes for oil changes. Stay away from the quick change places because they do a crappy job at prices that aren't too competitive.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:36 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,678,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
Ditto the neighborhood places. You're not going to find a dealership with particularly cheap service prices anywhere in this country. Still, even some of the neighborhood places are willing to turn you upside down. A lot of it depends on if they have a boat payment due soon. I was in this business a long time ago, so I know about it.

The most important and significant thing that any car owner can do to lower the cost of repairs, is to perform scheduled maintenance. Of course, one cannot anticipate every single breakdown or mishap, but one CAN avoid the great majority of them. That goes for the smallest things like radiator hoses and accessory belts, but also affects things like transmissions and timing belt services, which people are very hesitant to do because they are comparatively "expensive". In the long run, a $500 timing belt job can save you $2500, and even more, once you factor in the cost of towing (depending on model, some may be much cheaper, others more costly).

That also goes for oil changes. Anyone who cheaps out on oil changes is an idiot... especially with some of the wonderful sludge-prone engines (Chrysler 2.7L, Toyota 3.0L 1MZ-FE, VW/Audi 1.8T, and others) of recent history.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:32 PM

7 posts, read 22,271 times
the mechanics files on the car talk website (cartalk.com) is a good resource. It has people add good mechanics and reviews on their own accord. It worked for me in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee