U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-18-2008, 03:53 PM

342 posts, read 1,036,635 times
Default Large dog-friendly apartments?

Are large dog (i.e. 75 lbs and up)-friendly apartments (or rental homes/duplexes) hard to come by in Milwaukee? Can you please recommend any that you know of, or any good sources for listings? I tried looking through apartments.com and such, but many say they accept "large dogs" but then restrict size to 45lbs, etc.

I was going to get a large breed pup but I'm also considering moving out there for a job. I wanted to make sure there are housing options for people with large breed dogs before getting the pet. It will be at the Medical College of Wisconsin, so within a 30min commute range would be ideal, but flexible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 04:01 PM

4,879 posts, read 5,732,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vemureaux View Post
Are large dog (i.e. 75 lbs and up)-friendly apartments (or rental homes/duplexes) hard to come by in Milwaukee? Can you please recommend any that you know of, or any good sources for listings? I tried looking through apartments.com and such, but many say they accept "large dogs" but then restrict size to 45lbs, etc.

I was going to get a large breed pup but I'm also considering moving out there for a job. I wanted to make sure there are housing options for people with large breed dogs before getting the pet. It will be at the Medical College of Wisconsin, so within a 30min commute range would be ideal, but flexible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
You might have a lot better luck looking on Craigslist or through the Journal/Sentinel rental property list online. Apartments.com and Rent.com both seem to cater to the corporate-managed apartment complexes, which usually have blanket restrictions on pets.

As far as rental homes go, you'll definitely find ones that allow it, but it might be a landlord who only has one or two properties. There are a lot of those types of places here on the East Side. Many renters have dogs over here. It's within 30 minutes of MCW, but you can probably find a rental in Wauwatosa or somewhere closer, that allows big dogs too.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Apartments.com and Rent.com both seem to cater to the corporate-managed apartment complexes, which usually have blanket restrictions on pets.
Thanks 43north87west for your helpful suggestions! I didn't even think of that!

I was starting to worry that I was going to end up homeless with a big dog (or have to abandon getting a dog altogether). You just gave me hope that I might be able to have my cake and eat it too.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:15 AM

10 posts, read 35,819 times
Sunset Ridge Apartments on 107th Street are very dog friendly. I have a friend that lives there with his 2 labs. They have an area for your dog to play and actually some trails to hike along.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:32 PM

37 posts, read 8,500 times
If you contact Mandel Group, most of all of there communities accept large breeds, and most any type of breed, the exception being a pit bull. I use to be a manager with Mandel Group, and I believe they still accept almost anysize. I mean at their suburban properties, probably some restriction on there downtown properties due to hallway situations. Most of there suburban properties are like private homes/condos...attached garage, private entries etc...Good luck!

Old 06-23-2008, 11:50 AM

4 posts, read 17,443 times
Default Timber Ridge Apartments, Oak Creek

You may want to try Timber Ridge Apartments, Oak Creek.
They are very dog friendly and even advertise on their website that large dogs are welcome.
Apartments range from $575-$790. It is located on Milwaukee's southside, yet close to the interstate. So it should not be any problem to get you to college in about 20-30 minutes drive. Also, the area there is pretty green..your dog will enjoy the great walks you both will have together..

Old 08-16-2008, 04:24 PM

Hi folks,
I've been looking at different apartment listings and some specific ones mentioned in the above and other posts. But I need some help.

Can someone break down the different neighborhoods in Milwaukee? I'm particularly interested in those within a 20~30min drive of MCW (where I will be working). All these housing listings mention neighborhoods but I have no idea which are decent and which ones I should pass over. Where would you consider as safe for a young female adult living alone? What are the bad areas that I should avoid? Could you specify the streets that demark these areas?

If you know of places that are large/giant dog friendly, I'm still very interested in knowing.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:25 PM

3,058 posts, read 7,901,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vemureaux View Post
Can someone break down the different neighborhoods in Milwaukee? I'm particularly interested in those within a 20~30min drive of MCW (where I will be working). All these housing listings mention neighborhoods but I have no idea which are decent and which ones I should pass over. Where would you consider as safe for a young female adult living alone? What are the bad areas that I should avoid?
Well, this is just kind of hard / vague to answer...would be much easier if you provided us particular general areas / communities / neighborhoods, and then we'd be able to advise you if they are relatively safe or not.

Within 20 to 30 minutes of the MCW is pretty much the entire metropolitan area of Milwaukee!! Seriously!! And most of the metro is quite safe, but there are some parts indeed that are quite unsafe (and a few sketchy sprinkled in).

Thus, it is hard to necessarily break it down for you without knowing specifics of what you are looking at. Surely with internet security reasons you might not wish to give exact addresses, etc., but a good general vicinity would help.

Recommended above was Oak Creek. The OC in general is pretty darn safe. Portions of it are fairly semi-gritty or, maybe a better description, a bit more blue collar / working class / corner-tavern type of stuff while parts of new with new construction - almost middle-to-middle upper yuppie class. Some is even a bit rural still.

If I were you, and I had your situation, here is where I would be looking (I am a married young 30s male with two young children, so I am just trying to put myself in your shoes with your priorities):

-Wauwatosa itself (either the village area of the western portions near MCW)
-Menomonee Falls (15 to 30 minutes from MCW depending upon traffic)
-Greendale (10 to 20 minutes from MCW depending upon traffic)
-Franklin or Muskego or Hales Corners (15 to 30 minutes from MCW depending upon traffic)
-City of Milwaukee (areas around Miller Park / Bluemound Rd. / Wisconsin Ave. - western is ideal)

Would be happy to provide more feedback / thoughts if you have particular areas in question specifically! Overall you are pretty safe in this metro area outside of some areas on the City of Milwaukee's north side, northwest side, and central...much of Milwaukee itself is safe, and with only a couple slight exceptions, almost all of the suburbs are quite safe.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:09 PM

Thanks EnjoyEP, and sorry for the vagueness. It is indeed tricky navigating between wanting info/help and not disclosing too much. Not knowing anything about the city doesnt help either.

I actually will be visiting for an interview this week, and I was hoping to identify a few prospective neighborhoods to drive around and check out. Hopefully I'll then be able to ask more specific questions, as right now I'm pretty clueless and entirely unfamiliar with Milwaukee.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:04 PM

14 posts, read 7,877 times
You will not want to live around the Sunset Ridge apts or anywhere near there. High crime. I do not recommend it. They probably allow big dogs for a reason = protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee