U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:47 PM

1,236 posts, read 2,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManWithoutQualities View Post
Surely, there is some professional class, even if the city's demographics are decisively manufacturing-oriented and blue collar?

What's the quality of like like for these people?
Getting back to the intent of the thread....

There is definitely a significant professional class in MKE, and others have already mentioned the city neighborhoods they tend to live in, and some of the many cultural amenities that they support. There are many networking organizations for professionals in MKE, and this one in particular may be of interest to you:

FUEL Milwaukee - The Region's Talent Network (http://www.fuelmilwaukee.org/cwt/index.aspx - broken link)

This is one of the more prominent Young Professionals groups in MKE, trying to make a difference. You will no doubt come across many other at Marquette, in legal circles, and elsewhere.

There is, incidentally, a reasonably prominent network of LGBT Professionals in MKE. There are a few LGBT-Professional groups around, and you may want to contact the LGBT Community Center for more info:

Milwaukee LGBT Community Center

As noted at length already, the professional class in Milwaukee is somewhat smaller (in percentage and in sheer numbers) than similar classes in larger metros such as Minneapolis and Chicago. (The info is readily available on city-data's info pages.) But given MKE metro's respectable size (over 1.5 million), there are still plenty of educated, white-collar people around. And many of these people come from outside of Wisconsin, so it's not an entirely in-bred operation. Though quite a few other significant U.S. cities have more of a critical mass of white-collar professionals, Milwaukee's economic and institutional infrastructure (several schools and colleges, and a strong presence in banking, insurance, securities, health care, and other fields) is not insignificant. There's lots of arts and culture, cuisine and retail, diverse living options, various dating options, etc., etc. You may have to work a bit to find exactly what you want, but there's a good chance you'll find it. And if what you want doesn't exist, then create it. That's what people in other cities do, so why not?

Old 07-09-2008, 08:24 AM
Status: "Trying to ignore the false outrage...." (set 24 days ago)

2,051 posts, read 1,782,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
My 2 cents...I think it's great that Midwest's CEO has taken a paycut, shows integrity instead of selling to the highest bidder, namely AirTran which didn't happen thankfully. Everytime I go on this forum here people are bitching about this state & Milwaukee. Why the heck are you negative people even here? God, talk about giving a bad impression to people asking about us.
he can afford it, he got a sweatheart of a deal in stock options and job security when Midwest was essentially sold to Northwest. What integrity to ask a captain to take a 65% pay cut or some flight attendent, do you know those flight attendents start at minimum wage? Real courageous for the big guy who probably makes more in a couple of days than a flight attendent makes in a year to take the pay cut. Is he going give away all the stocks he got as a result of the transation? This was just for show, nothing more, nothing less. Most industry anaylists think it would've been better to have sold to Air Tran.

and they should've sold to Air Tran, they would've at least kept more flights, more direct flights, and kept Milw. as the main hub of their operations. In another 2 years most everything will go through MPLS, you know where Northwest is located. How ironic.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
Although, in a previous post, you suggested that this is something that a prospective Marquette Law student and possibly future resident of MKE ought to consider.... Funny that you didn't dispense the same advice with regard to MPLS. But I suppose segregation and bad race relations are more acceptable in a city that is seen as more upscale, more prosperous, and more "New Economy"? Sounds like a double standard on your part.

When Persia/Iran (which has been around for thousands of years) figures it out, then maybe Milwaukee (which has only existed as a city for less than 200 years) will figure it out, too. In the meantime, we can all move to MPLS and enjoy our nicer, shinier lifestyles (except for those there who live in poverty, etc., of course).
No but people keep saying how the diversity of MKE is such a great thing and I'm simply stating the obvious which is that race relations are very polerized in MKE, it's well known, nationally, Sorry you can't handle that but it's the truth. You blame me for bringing it up when others did first. I'm just speaking the truth.

Shouldn't MKE strive to be better than Persia? Saying that their are race problems in other parts of the world as an excuse for MKE is rediculous and a cop out. With that mentality no wonder why it's always stayed the same. By that token it was no big deal what happen in Selma in the 50's and 60's because they be a fightin' in the Middle East. How stupid.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
No but people keep saying how the diversity of MKE is such a great thing and I'm simply stating the obvious which is that race relations are very polerized in MKE, it's well known, nationally, Sorry you can't handle that but it's the truth. You blame me for bringing it up when others did first. I'm just speaking the truth.
Actually, you may have noticed that no one--myself included--has disagreed with you. In fact, if you decide to read what the rest of us have written, you may notice that we agree on that point. The objection is that you fail to provide the same level of perspective in your description of MPLS. Also, you fail to show how all of this affects a prospective law student who likely will have a decent life in Milwaukee, if he chooses to go to Milwaukee.

Quote:
Shouldn't MKE strive to be better than Persia? Saying that their are race problems in other parts of the world as an excuse for MKE is rediculous and a cop out. With that mentality no wonder why it's always stayed the same. By that token it was no big deal what happen in Selma in the 50's and 60's because they be a fightin' in the Middle East.
So you think all of MKE's problems ought to have been resolved over the past 50 or 60 years? You set a high standard for MKE, but apparently not for the rest of the world. According to you, MKE ought to surpass everyone else, yet you say that it is incapable of doing so. Yet another double standard on your part.

<Mod cut: off topic / personal>

Last edited by EnjoyEP; 07-09-2008 at 03:45 PM..

Old 07-09-2008, 09:42 AM

603 posts, read 1,442,116 times
Smile Peace, dude

Quote:
<Mod cut: off topic / personal>
My state of affairs is just fine, thank you.

Badger, I respect your opinions and I love a good debate. You provide a lot of interesting information about Milwaukee and your thoughts should be shared. I was only suggesting we start a new thread so we don't confuse the OP who probably has more straightforward concerns at this time. Such as, the place to go for good eats is at Real Chili on Wells Street. Yum!

Last edited by EnjoyEP; 07-09-2008 at 03:46 PM..

Old 07-09-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
Actually, you may have noticed that no one--myself included--has disagreed with you. In fact, if you decide to read what the rest of us have written, you may notice that we agree on that point. The objection is that you fail to provide the same level of perspective in your description of MPLS. Also, you fail to show how all of this affects a prospective law student who likely will have a decent life in Milwaukee, if he chooses to go to Milwaukee.

I've provided multiple times the same perspective of MPLS , maybe you should go and read what I've said.

In terms of how this affects a law student, well, I'm just responding to the homers on here who have painted an overly rosy picture of MKE. I know that's not comfortable for some as evidenced by these hateful attacks but my defense is the truth provided by the links.

So you think all of MKE's problems ought to have been resolved over the past 50 or 60 years? You set a high standard for MKE, but apparently not for the rest of the world. Yet another double standard on your part.

No, that's not the point I was making at all.

How personal. Ever realize that people like you are part of the problem?

<Mod cut: off topic / personal> Of course he, nor does anyone else, have a real response to any of the succinent points I've made. Just sarcastic comments about 730 laid-off Harley workers going to work in big time jobs in the finance industry. Haha, how funny. Tell that to those people and their families.

Last edited by EnjoyEP; 07-09-2008 at 03:46 PM..

Old 07-09-2008, 11:16 AM

45 posts, read 109,033 times
Yikes. I didn't realize my original posting would end up being so contentious.

I didn't ask specifically about race relations or general economy but they are some concern (law schools - outside of the top 20 or so - tend to have regional profiles as far as employment is concerned - so there's a strong likelihood that I'd be sticking around after school for quite a while)...so, thank you, Badger...

"And if what you want doesn't exist, then create it. That's what people in other cities do, so why not?" - how very true, Quijote. Thanks for this.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:04 PM

10,483 posts, read 9,442,942 times
Quote:
he can afford it, he got a sweatheart of a deal in stock options and job security when Midwest was essentially sold to Northwest. What integrity to ask a captain to take a 65% pay cut or some flight attendent, do you know those flight attendents start at minimum wage? Real courageous for the big guy who probably makes more in a couple of days than a flight attendent makes in a year to take the pay cut. Is he going give away all the stocks he got as a result of the transation? This was just for show, nothing more, nothing less. Most industry anaylists think it would've been better to have sold to Air Tran.

and they should've sold to Air Tran, they would've at least kept more flights, more direct flights, and kept Milw. as the main hub of their operations. In another 2 years most everything will go through MPLS, you know where Northwest is located. How ironic.
Tell me, do you know of any CEO's who take that big of a paycut? Hell no!

Old 07-09-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
This sort of thing happens occasionally on many city-data boards. It's not necessarily a bad thing--it lets people face big issues and blow off steam. But it also shows an important dimension of how people think of places like Milwaukee. Extreme negativity usually comes from outsiders (folks from Madison, Chicago, etc.), but once in a while from MKEers like Badger. MKE is definitely a work in progress, and different neighborhoods and residents see different angles of the process. It ain't all roses, but most of us see that there are indeed a few roses after all.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:31 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,700,264 times
Quote:

I didn't ask specifically about race relations or general economy but they are some concern (law schools - outside of the top 20 or so - tend to have regional profiles as far as employment is concerned - so there's a strong likelihood that I'd be sticking around after school for quite a while)...so, thank you, Badger...

"And if what you want doesn't exist, then create it. That's what people in other cities do, so why not?" - how very true, Quijote. Thanks for this.

You have plenty of good info and I believe it is easy to re-read this thread and take down info from the objective, sincere posters on here. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee