Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 08:58 PM

21 posts, read 137,361 times

Advertisements

I graduated (Masters) from University Milwaukee WI. My last job paid 60K in Chicago. I was offered a job making 100K in New York but the cost of living there is too high. My family is in Milwaukee but I don't want to live there. I believe that Milwaukee is BORING!~ and everyone I know is poor and broke!~ I am willing to move anywhere that offers low crime rate, low cost of living, high quality of life and at least 50K salary--anywhere but Milwaukee!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 11:09 PM

451 posts, read 1,227,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllisa View Post
I graduated (Masters) from University Milwaukee WI. My last job paid 60K in Chicago. I was offered a job making 100K in New York but the cost of living there is too high. My family is in Milwaukee but I don't want to live there. I believe that Milwaukee is BORING!~ and everyone I know is poor and broke!~ I am willing to move anywhere that offers low crime rate, low cost of living, high quality of life and at least 50K salary--anywhere but Milwaukee!

This is depressing. After a few months I gave up on Milwaukee. I found more than what u were looking for in Minneapolis and i have no where near a Masters. It seems thats the next best place if you wanna be close.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:46 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,310,833 times
Quote:
If you're from Milwaukee, perhaps you're just tired of it and a bit jaded. I grew up in the SF Bay Area--not boring at all--but lived in places like Buffalo, Birmingham (AL), and suburban Central New Jersey before I moved to Milwaukee. Believe me, Milwaukee's a cultural paradise compared to those places, but there are still many people here who think the grass is greener elsewhere. Despite its problems, Milwaukee is relatively prosperous and culturally enlightened. After having lived in less interesting places, I'm quite relieved to be here.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:51 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,120,981 times
Quote:
You think that Milwaukee is boring? Try Iowa. Milwaukee has its problems but I would bet it's one of the nicest larger metro areas in the country; little congestion, great standard and cost of living and the crime is relatively low if you stay out of the bad areas. Plus there is a wealth of things to do, not counting Chicago only an hour or so away.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:23 PM

7 posts, read 17,948 times
Angelina01,
Take it from me. Education is NEVER a racket. I have an AAS. I'm trying to get my BSME, and because I wasn't dedicated enough when I was 20, at 40 it's nearly impossible. However, what I can tell you is, people with a baccelor's degree get preferencial treatment with regard to job acceptance and placement. Depending on your field; ie....engineering; you could find a company willing to help MOVE you. They may not actually move you but they will give you some money to a move. Pretty nice huh. AND.....if that isn't enough....once you are in a company...with your BS, BA in whatever.....if you are not satisfied in you current position and one comes up that you do like.....you can apply for it....with your degree in hand and little experience you will have a "foot in the door" over and above people in the company for many years but don't have a degree, and people outside the company with a degree..more experience...but not already employed by said company. I've seen it. Now, let's say you are in said company and are doing a bang up job....guess what....they may create a new position just for you.....just for you. Oh yeah, if you don't have a degree, but you decide you like Accounting....your company may help PAY for you education if it applies to your current position.
So, please don't give up. Finding a new or better job can be really difficult. May I suggest a Temp Agency. That's what I did. I was a contract Drafter/Detailer for a few years in various places. Benefits are so/so, but the experience is Phenom and you never know who you'll meet or where it'll take you. If you're willing to travel, and try something new there are dozens of temporary help places that will be willing to hire you.

let me know how you do.....ps....Do your homework in looking for a temp job. There are some shady outfits. Good luck..

jayvee_1

Old 08-28-2008, 01:14 PM

4,361 posts, read 6,527,939 times
I was in the Milwaukee area when I got laid off and had a rough time of finding work there. I was willing to go anywhere in the area, but got no where.

Expanding my search a couple weeks later and I'm re-locating to Minnesota. Gotta go where the work is.. Milwaukee's loss, Minnesota's Gain.

But thats when I found out Just how nice Minnesota is. 10X better than Wisconsin, no doubt about it. I was SOOOO very impressed by the Twin Cities area too. But I found IT work in Rural Minnesota and am in Heaven...

Old 08-29-2008, 06:16 AM

65 posts, read 147,139 times
It seems as though my comment about education has been misinterpreted, yet subsequent posters have elaborated my point otherwise. As long as you have that piece of paper you can at least land an entry level position somewhere regardless of any thorough comprehension of the job particulars (of course this is provided that economic forces do not render your particular field of interest too competitive-for that, there's always retail management). I'm not trying to be a Gloomy Gus or a pessimist, just being blunt.
I can probably only speak for myself (or maybe someone else who reads this) in that whether in a professional or blue collar work environment, no one cares what or how much of it you know: do you have a degree or certificate with your name on it so we can train you to do the work any schmoe walking through the door could do?
My point is: a person may have a degree but have they really learned anything? Have they left that university with a better understanding of themselves and others, a greater mental maturity, and, most importantly, a complete mastery of the subject matter that their major consisted of? So many of our institutions have turned into diploma mills overnight, issuing tickets to the middle class lifestyle to those that were willing to go the full four years. Anyway, I've said enough; I will leave this thread alone (the Irish Spring carton is starting to cave in). By the way, good luck in your job search.

Quote:
Do your homework in looking for a temp job. There are some shady outfits. Good luck..
I know this one all too well. During my term of unemployment, I turned to temp agencies to tide me over. One was simply a feeder for a local telemarketing firm, another one was a polished outfit for day laborers doing daily muscle chores. I was very grateful for the work but was very upset over their misleading intentions and promises to help me find a job in my field (It only works against their bottom line-the janitor disclosed to me all the resumes he finds in the trash can on a daily basis).

Last edited by JS20000; 08-29-2008 at 06:25 AM..

Old 09-11-2008, 11:27 AM

7 posts, read 17,948 times
As long as we're talking about jobs and employment.....I noticed that some of you are way more edu-ma-cated than I am.....and are still having a hard time finding work. It's the field. Gotta be. For all of you who are thinking about a particular field of work, please keep your options open or make sure that whatever you are going into, that you'll be able to get something, somewhere. I was reading that "Illsa" [I think] had a Masters from UW Milwaukee. A Masters in What? If it's Education or Book Keeping or something, I think the field for that is pretty full or extrememly competetive. But, for someone like me, Cad guy, there's lots of work. It may not always pay what I want, but, in a crunch, I can find work. It might also help to go back to your school [college, high school, whatever] and talk to a counselor that may know you. Sometimes, [emphasis added] they may know a place to look that you didn't consider. Even the public library can be a great place to start. I remember looking through tons of books at the library trying to seek out the best places in the country that focused on manufacturing, engineering and mechanical design. Which is what I do. That's how I moved from the East Coast out to the Midwest. My research pointed to 5 states that consistently had a lot of large companies that did what I was interested in. Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan and Minnesota. There were more, but this area of the country kept coming up when I looked at different companies I found interesting. So, here I am.
Look for trends and wages trends and stuff. It takes research, that YOU have to do.
Secondly; if you are like me, middle age, and you feel that what you do is being outsourced or over-employed and you can't find work; maybe you need to go back to school and get some education in something that will at least put food on the table and clothes on your back. I have a friend who lives in NYC. He wanted to be an actor....I asked hime why he didn't go to school and get at least a 2 year degree in something like accounting, or even Bar tending or something. He laughed at me. When I pressed him on it, he got mad. Today, he's a stay at home dad, working nights at a local restaurant telling customers about the Soup du Jour. Get my drift. It's about flexability. Try to be open and flexable.

jayvee.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,747 times
Default It is what you make it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayvee_1 View Post
As long as we're talking about jobs and employment.....I noticed that some of you are way more edu-ma-cated than I am.....and are still having a hard time finding work. It's the field. Gotta be. For all of you who are thinking about a particular field of work, please keep your options open or make sure that whatever you are going into, that you'll be able to get something, somewhere. I was reading that "Illsa" [I think] had a Masters from UW Milwaukee. A Masters in What? If it's Education or Book Keeping or something, I think the field for that is pretty full or extrememly competetive. But, for someone like me, Cad guy, there's lots of work. It may not always pay what I want, but, in a crunch, I can find work. It might also help to go back to your school [college, high school, whatever] and talk to a counselor that may know you. Sometimes, [emphasis added] they may know a place to look that you didn't consider. Even the public library can be a great place to start. I remember looking through tons of books at the library trying to seek out the best places in
the country that focused on manufacturing, engineering and mechanical design. Which is what I do. That's how I moved from the East Coast out to the Midwest. My research pointed to 5 states that consistently had a lot of large companies that did what I was interested in. Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan and Minnesota. There were more, but this area of the country kept coming up when I looked at different companies I found interesting. So, here I am.
Look for trends and wages trends and stuff. It takes research, that YOU have to do.
Secondly; if you are like me, middle age, and you feel that what you do is being outsourced or over-employed and you can't find work; maybe you need to go back to school and get some education in something that will at least put food on the table and clothes on your back. I have a friend who lives in NYC. He wanted to be an actor....I asked hime why he didn't go to school and get at least a 2 year degree in something like accounting, or even Bar tending or something. He laughed at me. When I pressed him on it, he got mad. Today, he's a stay at home dad, working nights at a local restaurant telling customers about the Soup du Jour. Get my drift. It's about flexability. Try to be open and flexable.

jayvee.

I agree with you. I love Milwaukee. When I was younger, I too was board and took off and lived in St. Louis and Chicago for 2 1/2 years.

I will concede Milwaukee is not Chicago or New York. Milwaukee is a great place for couples and family. People here are horribly conservative.

I totally disagree with your opinion that there are no jobs here!!!! There are many jobs both blue and white collar. It is not education that gets you a job. People who have a degree complain they can't find a job because of their degree. Those without a degree complain they can't find a job because they don't have one.

Just because a person has completed College does not entitle them to a Title and a big salary. I don't have a degree and I am in a high level position making $150,000/year. This is my third job making 6 figures. A degree did not making me successful. Experience of failing, making mistakes and getting kicked around (figuratively) made me successful.

I have several suggestions for all of you looking for jobs.

1. Before you send your resume for the job you really want, call the hiring person the idea is you want to stand out from the rest.

2. Don't wait for them to call you. Remember, you want to stand out.

3. Network with everyone you know.

4. Call Companys you'd like to work for. If there are no opening ask the HR person if they know who is hiring. HR people belong to an organization that meets monthly and they all talk. Anyway, I have found most people like to help other people.

Sorry, for the rant. I had to get this off my chest.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:28 AM

603 posts, read 2,358,116 times
Have you applied to any of the hospitals in Milwaukee? Milwaukee has a huge medical industry (relative to it's size) and they seem to always be looking for IT people. Many of the hospitals are moving more and more towards computerized charting (we have a long way to go-I guess you could say the hospitals are behind the times). Check out Froedtert, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, Aurora, Columbia-St.Mary's, and Wheaton Franciscan. The medical industry might not be as provincial because many of the employees literally come from all over the world. The salary might be what you are looking for but the job should be stable with not a lot of travel (if any). Many of us healthcare providers have no clue ( ) about computers and we need a lot of hand holding! Please apply-we could use more IT people!

Also-I know this is risky but if you really want to move back to Milwaukee, would you consider moving back without a job in your profession and continuing the job search once you get here? I think a lot of places are reluctant to pursue out of state people because that might involve flying them out for interviews, paying relocation fees, etc.

Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee