U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:17 AM

5,159 posts, read 6,413,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tone_bone25 View Post
Here are some suburbs:
Shorewood, Whitefish Bay, West Allis, Wauwatosa, Greenfield, Bayview...
These areas directly border the actual city limits of Milwaukee. Anything else is its own entity!
I'm interested that Bay View has been listed as a "suburb" not once, but twice in this thread. It's not a suburb. It's not even a municipality. It doesn't border the city, it IS the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee Ronnie View Post
It seems that people in Milwaukee's suburbs, more so than suburbanites in a lot of other metro areas, really buy into the fallacy that they "live out in the country" and are not tethered to any urban area. Folks in Germantown, a whole 20 miles from Downtown Milwaukee, think they live "way out" in the countryside somewhere, and only "happen" to live within proximity to the city of Milwaukee.

I understand people's desire to live in the country. But if you're going to go around claiming that you live in the country, then go whole-hog with it. Buy a farm and start working it, get a job in feed mill or something and move out into the real sticks in Bumbleberry, Iowa. Live where you want to. But when you live in a place like Germantown, the very reason you don't work on a farm or a feedmill is because of the city of Milwaukee. Suburbanites owe their jobs and their standard of living to the very urban center that they repudiate. They trying to have it both ways, which is their right if they can afford it. But it's not sustainable, and it's a way of life that's not going to last very long under $5 gasoline.
Yes. This is why Cadott, WI has gained 24 people (1.7%) since 1990, yet the "country aire of Germantown" is populated by an additional thirty percent over the same period of time.

So much for the theory of inner ring suburbs being the only ones linked to the city!

Let's check Oconomowoc, WI (suburb): 22% since 1990.
How about Minong (rural): 4%
Caledonia (suburb): 17%
Mukwonago (burb): 34%
Prarie Du Chien (rural): 1.5%
Mequon (burb): 20%
Menomonee Falls: 22%
Brookfield: 11%, a lot for an already-established suburb

The suburban gains are much more than the ~30,000 something people who left Milwaukee since the 1990 figures were published and the revised figures released.

Interestingly, Chenequa (pop 500-something) went down two percent. I guess a few Quadraccis must have moved out of the town limits. But neighboring Merton--where the residents would probably deny the existence of a city effect--gained a whopping 1600 people... from 1199 to 2791!

And Merton's gains weren't because of the local feed mill industry.

Last edited by 43north87west; 07-17-2008 at 11:48 AM..

Old 07-17-2008, 02:04 PM

395 posts, read 1,238,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I'm interested that Bay View has been listed as a "suburb" not once, but twice in this thread. It's not a suburb. It's not even a municipality. It doesn't border the city, it IS the city.
Very common misconception. And one of my little pet peeves. Bay View is as part of the City of Milwaukee as Downtown or Riverwest. It is not, nor will ever likely be, a distinct and seperate municipality.

Bay View actually used to be a seperate town, however, and was annexed by the City in the early 20th Century. So that might have something to do with the misconception. I also think a lot of old school Bay View residents like to be thought of as "seperate" from the City.

Another one that gets me is South Milwaukee. There are still those who apparently haven't gotten the memo that South Milwaukee is a seperate and distinct municipality, wholely apart and distinguished from the South SIDE OF Milwaukee.

Hell, I still meet people that don't get that Shorewood is a suburb.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:01 PM

3,058 posts, read 8,229,644 times
Default West Milwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee Ronnie View Post
Another one that gets me is South Milwaukee. There are still those who apparently haven't gotten the memo that South Milwaukee is a seperate and distinct municipality, wholely apart and distinguished from the South SIDE OF Milwaukee.
If you think South Milwaukee is bad in folks not realizing it is a separate city (and it is), even more so - West Milwaukee!

Most folks don't even know that there is a community existing known as West Milwaukee, and if they do, they think it is just referring to the geographically western portion of the City of Milwaukee.

It is extremely small, but like South Milwaukee, West Milwaukee exists as its own community.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:17 AM

11 posts, read 56,363 times
I am a former resident born and raised in Racine. Racine is in an odd situation. The only people who claim Racine is a part of the Milwaukee Metro are statisticians or people from Milwaukee. Never in my twenty years of living there did I ever say nor hear that I live in the Milwaukee suburbs. As a person posted earlier, Racine has it's own towns and suburs surrounding it. Caledonia and Mt. Pleasant have close to 25,000 residents each. Those two along with Sturtevant, Wind Point, Elmwood Park, North Bay, and Franksville are RACINE suburbs. They continue to grow as the city of Racine's population declines. IMO as well as most others from the Racine Vicinity, we're kind of alone in terms of Kenosha is now a part of Chicago, and Milwaukee Metro ends at Oak Creek. As of 2003, the Racine Metro area ranked number 204 in the US with a code number of 39540 and population of 191,012 according to proximityone.com

Old 07-28-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemozez View Post
I am a former resident born and raised in Racine. Racine is in an odd situation. The only people who claim Racine is a part of the Milwaukee Metro are statisticians or people from Milwaukee. Never in my twenty years of living there did I ever say nor hear that I live in the Milwaukee suburbs. As a person posted earlier, Racine has it's own towns and suburs surrounding it. Caledonia and Mt. Pleasant have close to 25,000 residents each. Those two along with Sturtevant, Wind Point, Elmwood Park, North Bay, and Franksville are RACINE suburbs. They continue to grow as the city of Racine's population declines. IMO as well as most others from the Racine Vicinity, we're kind of alone in terms of Kenosha is now a part of Chicago, and Milwaukee Metro ends at Oak Creek. As of 2003, the Racine Metro area ranked number 204 in the US with a code number of 39540 and population of 191,012 according to proximityone.com
Greater Milwaukee aka the Milwaukee Metropolitan Area includes Racine County. The Milwaukee metropolitan area does not end at the Milwaukee County line.

Kenosha County is part of Chicagoland. There is a Joliet, IL "Metropolitan Area" as well, but it is part of Chicagoland. Joliet residents can say they have an independent "Metropolitan Area" but if so, like Racine, it has been engulfed by larger cities and is experiencing growth that is largely fueled by those cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee