Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2007, 12:43 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Off topic now! We are talking about racial tensions in Milwaukee and other things but not caps and lettering.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:38 PM

232 posts, read 948,281 times
SEGREGATION IS NOT A BAD THING NOR A GOOD ONE, also i want to add that segregation is not always a racial thing it can be cultural/ religous etc there are jews who lived amongst each other st joseph hospital but american blacks are in the area too.
if an immigrant or a person from another city who speaks spanish or come from a spanish speaking latin america country where do you think he or she would move in milwaukee?

the answer is: the central south side

and trust me if you ever ran into a latin american thats black the south side would be his choice of living because thats most likely where people of his cultural and language background lives.

people move where they are comfortable, blacks or shall i say american blacks represent over 30% of the city and lives primarily on the north side. there are other black groups here as well from the west indies and africa and many of them live in the north side of the city.

american blacks also live on the south side as well in small pockets..

Old 09-09-2007, 07:48 PM

232 posts, read 948,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
I have to call "bullcrap" on that argument. I am a Milwaukee native, black, and I currently live in Atlanta. Although this city is in the Deep South and has its fair share of racial problems, it is more integrated than Milwaukee. Even the suburbs of Atlanta are way more integrated than the suburbs of Milwaukee. I know because I was raised in Mequon, and my family was one of the very few black families that lived there. And let's not even talk about the rest of the North Shore suburbs, as well as Waukesha County. I'm not slamming white suburbanites in Milwaukee at all, but don't try to hide the truth. I think that it stems from the dismal economic situtation of the black community in Milwaukee, blacks not feeling welcome at all in the suburbs of Milwaukee, and the "black brain drain" that Wisconsin is suffering from as a result of an overwhelming portion of young black middle class professionals leaving the state for major cities in the South and elsewhere because of more opportunities.

Also, what the hell are "black ambassadors"? Why should I have to be an "ambassador" in my own country? Anything that's negative or controversial will be shown on the news and in the media because controversy and scandal make for good ratings. Yeah, a lot of whites don't like Jesse Jackson. But if, according to your argument, whites make their negative assumptions about blacks based on Jackson, Sharpton, or Farrakhan; then why can't they make positive assumptions about blacks with figures such as Condoleeza Rice, Colin Powel, and Oprah Winfrey?

Are there deplorable conditions in many impoverished black neighborhoods? Yes! But dammit, as a black male I refuse to answer or apologize for someone else's crime just because we share the same skin color.

People in general--not just whites, but ALL PEOPLE--need to quit watching so much damn TV and actually get out in the world and meet people of different backgrounds.
cool, but one thingi cannot stand is the term minority i mean how are we a minority in our own country, other groups of people are labeled by country and regionlike the term latino which has to do with latin america it is not racial term like people believe so why are blacks, native americans who are americans nationalisitcly are minorities and compared to others who come from other countries/ cultured or descend whether 2nd 3rd or 4th generation?

cause believe it or not but american blacks have more in common with american whites as far as culture! american culture sure we all have different ancestrial roots but so do people from latin america who come/came to america and are very patriotic to the country they never been too, because thats what they are regardless of race.

if i go to europe they will call me an american, a yank regardless if my race is black. theres blacks in britain, they are british not in the sense of blood but in the sense of nationality

Old 09-13-2007, 01:41 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
I am just saddened because this is my father's hometown and he likes it. I often thought of Wisconsin as being better than this.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:58 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I am just saddened because this is my father's hometown and he likes it. I often thought of Wisconsin as being better than this.
It is better than this. The crazed hysteria in this thread in no way resembles every day life in the Milwaukee metro area, or in Wisconsin in general.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:06 PM

119 posts, read 367,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
It is better than this. The crazed hysteria in this thread in no way resembles every day life in the Milwaukee metro area, or in Wisconsin in general.
Its not better than this.Its a mess in Milwaukee.everyday people are shot and or killed in Milwaukee,and 80% of the time its black on black.Second highest teenage pregnancy rate in the country.The average black household has just 49% of the wealth of the average white household.Black male unemployment hovers at 60% in the city of Milwaukee,and the rest are for the most part underemployed (7...8 bucks an hour,temp jobs).Blacks make up 5% of the state and 45% of its prisons.Riding around Milwaukee,one can 'see' all of this with thier own eyes.Studies by sociologists prove that white felons have the upper hand on law abiding black men with equal qualifications in the job market.You see yourself what ACTUAL blacks from wisconsin think of the place here.take our word for it or visit and let wisconsin show you itself.Blacks recieve blatent,obvious second class citizenship in Wisconsin.The sky high teenage pregnancy rates,and incarcaration rates fuel white bigotry,they see these as the sole causes of black poverty while ignoring the fact that they are starving the community economically.Thier anwser: keep em unemployed and underemployed and lock em up.

Enjoyep has the common stand point of white wisconsin.Seemingly,racial oppression is invisible to most of white wisconsin,no matter how obvious it is,they will ignore or doubt it.
Quote:
Milwaukee had the highest black unemployment rate of the major cities surveyed in 2002 by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The bureau also found that 59% of Milwaukee's black males 16 and older were idle, and that the city's black unemployment rate was more than three times its white unemployment rate.
In 2003, an estimated 48% of Milwaukee black children under age 5 lived in poverty. Nationally, the Census Bureau estimated that 39% of all black children under 5 were living below the poverty level.

Wisconsin - where three of every four African-Americans live in Milwaukee - has the nation's highest rates of black teenage births and black incarceration, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation and U.S. Justice Department, respectively
.[/quote]

JS Online: Hit by a global train (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=281193 - broken link)

This is a qoute from a Milwaukee Poice Officer:

Quote:
It's as if there's a concerted effort to keep black men from getting employment, to keep them oppressed," says Wells, former president of the League of Martin, an organization of black Milwaukee police officers.

"We say we want to reintegrate individuals into the community. We say that we want to do something about unemployment in the black community, yet we want to pretend that it's a criminal record that prevents blacks from getting jobs. It's blatant, undisputed, racism," he says.
Study Shows How Deeply Black Men Face Discrimination In Hiring

Quote:
The study's findings would surprise few African-Americans in this city, who know from experience that this kind of discrimination exists in the job market. Research shows that white Americans, however, have been led to think that direct, racial discrimination of this nature has become less of a problem in our society.
that explains why,even thou MOST blacks from wisconsin know how racist the state is,whites like enjoyep still will tell you that the claims of the majority of our race are exaggerated,and that things are equal in 2007.

Last edited by brewtown12; 09-14-2007 at 12:50 PM..

Old 09-14-2007, 07:31 PM

119 posts, read 367,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear_Art View Post
There are so many places in Milwaukee where you look around and have to say, "Segregation? What segregation?". Ride the bus, go to Jazz in the Park, go to the lakefront, the zoo, etc.
Youre ridicuoulsy out of tune with reality.You can board a bus in St. Francis or another suburb and most of the passengers will be white,but by the time you pass downtown entering Milwaukee's northside most of the passengers will be black.Milwaukee is very segragated.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:33 PM

751 posts, read 1,178,340 times
Here is my 2 cents. I am from Minneapolis and I came to Milwaukee last year for the first time. I was shocked! This city is very run down and nothing like what I knew about Wisconsin. The Wisconsin we go to, usually is beautiful, with some of the nicest people ever, nice lakes, scenery and high quality of life. Milwaukee needs to be revitalized! That is the only way that it is going to attract more companies and better jobs. Regarding the black population, I feel like there is racism but often, the reason because they are not getting jobs is because many don't even know how to act. If you dont know magic words like "Excuse me", "Thank you", how do you expect someone to respect you or even give you a job for that matter?. This city needs to be cleaned up, so that quality people start to move back in..too much ghetto as is!!

Old 09-15-2007, 12:06 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,313,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtown12 View Post
Its not better than this.Its a mess in Milwaukee.everyday people are shot and or killed in Milwaukee,and 80% of the time its black on black.Second highest teenage pregnancy rate in the country.The average black household has just 49% of the wealth of the average white household.Black male unemployment hovers at 60% in the city of Milwaukee,and the rest are for the most part underemployed (7...8 bucks an hour,temp jobs).Blacks make up 5% of the state and 45% of its prisons.Riding around Milwaukee,one can 'see' all of this with thier own eyes.Studies by sociologists prove that white felons have the upper hand on law abiding black men with equal qualifications in the job market.You see yourself what ACTUAL blacks from wisconsin think of the place here.take our word for it or visit and let wisconsin show you itself.Blacks recieve blatent,obvious second class citizenship in Wisconsin.The sky high teenage pregnancy rates,and incarcaration rates fuel white bigotry,they see these as the sole causes of black poverty while ignoring the fact that they are starving the community economically.Thier anwser: keep em unemployed and underemployed and lock em up.
What I don't understand is, if life for blacks in Milwaukee is really so bad, why do they stay in Milwaukee? (And this question really can apply to anyone who is entrenched in poverty when opportunity lies elsewhere.) Milwaukee grew in the 19th and 20th centuries, in large part because Italians, Irish, and other nationals were fed up with poverty and mistreatment back home. Many faced difficulties when they got to Milwaukee, but most did okay with determination and hard work.

So why, in the case of blacks in Mke, entrenched in poverty and other problems, do they stay? It should be pretty obvious by now that good jobs will not simply materialize out of the blue for them; the leaders around here have been trying to ramp up the economy for decades, but there's barely been any growth in the metro overall. Milwaukee is great for people with opportunity, but why aren't the impoverished here flocking to boomtowns such as Las Vegas and Phoenix? Heck, and it rarely occurs to many Americans--white or black--to try to emigrate to other countries where life could be better: Dubai is booming, as is Bangalore.

Yet even though there are places of opportunity in the United States and in other countries, people remain in communities where things are only getting worse? I agree that things are terrible for most blacks in Milwaukee right now, but things aren't getting any better; we may even be entering another recession right now. Do people stay because they really think that things are somehow going to get better?

I realize that many impoverished people may have come to think of Milwaukee as "their home," even despite all of the problems. But sometimes you just have to let it go and move on. If it's better elsewhere, then disenchanted people should consider relocating. BTW, during the Reconstruction and Industrial eras in the U.S., thousands of blacks migrated from the South to cities like Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit. What happened to that drive? The economic magnets now are out west and in the southwest.

I'm not being flip or facetious. I'm just wondering why people stay put in places where life just gets worse and worse--especially when there are other options.

Last edited by Empidonax; 09-15-2007 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: Added Info

Old 09-16-2007, 10:45 PM

48 posts, read 176,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtown12 View Post
<<<<stands up & applauds>>>
This has got to be the BEST post I have seen on this thread!! It explains perfectly, why middle class, college educated blacks like myself, leave Milwaukee the very 1st chance they can get & never move back. Milwaukee has yet to realize the economic power that the black middle class can bring to the city....until that is realized, good skilled workers & college grads will continue to move to where their talents will be utilized & appreciated. & where they will be compensated for their efforts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee