Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 10:57 PM

118 posts, read 436,960 times

Advertisements

Cleveland. As a matter of fact, a lot of things that are tried in Milwaukee wind up having the same effect as they did in Cleveland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
CLEVELAND IS ACTUALLY A MINI CHICAGO, AS THEY SAY CHICAGO HAS THE CHARACTERISTICS OF EAST COAST CITIES, CLEVELAND HAS THOSE OF CHICAGO
Not at all really. Cleveland is not like Chicago. Cleveland is actually a very troubled city, with high poverty and unemployment. They also had a stunning population exodus comparable to Detroit. They went from being a city of about the same population as Milwaukee in 1960, to having a population of 442,000.

Cleveland is actually smaller than Milwaukee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 11:37 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,646 times
MKE and Buffalo seem alike to me.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:53 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
Milwaukee is simalar to the following:

1. Kansas City
2. Twin Cities
3. Pittsburgh
4. Cincy
5. St.Louis
6. Buffalo
7. Detroit
8. Chicago(a very mini Chicago)
9. Bmore
10. Cleveland

Old 06-29-2010, 01:11 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,687 times
I have spent a lot of time in Pittsburgh, and I agree that Milw and Pitts. are similar in a lot of respects.

The people are hard working throughout the generations in both towns----both towns have slavic and East European ethnic backgrounds.

Both cities have great people---very friendly towns.

Both cities have down a nice job on urban revitilization----ie --downtown areas.

I like Pittsburgh----I like Milwaukee.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:47 AM

88 posts, read 214,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
St. Louis has a lot more amentities and conveniences because of its bigger size.
Are you talking population or square miles? I could have sworn Milwaukee was larger population wise.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:10 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Milwaukee is simalar to the following:

1. Kansas City
2. Twin Cities
3. Pittsburgh
4. Cincy
5. St.Louis
6. Buffalo
7. Detroit
8. Chicago(a very mini Chicago)
9. Bmore
10. Cleveland
Somehow, I don't think so. I would say the closest comparison would be St. Louis. Some buildings in Milwaukee do look like parts of Pittsburgh and Buffalo. Those cities are not part of the Midwest. Milwaukee is a Great Lakes city. It is a midwestern city, but not in the same way that Cincinnati or Minneapolis is.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:14 PM

34 posts, read 78,473 times
Cleveland?

I'd say it's in between Cleveland and Columbus. Milwaukee is far cleaner, not nearly as run down and has more culture than Cleveland; essentially swap out some of the excessive bad traits of Cleveland with the positives of Columbus, add a few of the characteristics of the lake front/life of Chicago a couple brats and you've got Milwaukee.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:59 PM

180 posts, read 662,911 times
Physically, Milwaukee looks similar to Pittsburgh or Baltimore. There's a lot of older, european style architecture here that would look right at home on the east coast, or even in Munich for that matter.

Economically, Milwaukee is similar to St. Louis or Cleveland.

Culturally is probably the hardest of the three. On a good day, Milwaukee belongs up there with Chicago and Minneapolis. On a bad day, we're no better than Detroit or Buffalo.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:07 PM

180 posts, read 662,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You've just described about half the cities east of the Mississippi. Doesn't make 'em all the same.
But IIRC, the only city anywhere with a greater disparity in income between city residents and suburbanites than Milwaukee is St. Louis.

Plus I've known plenty of St. Lousians my age who complain about the older residents who can't get over the fact that the city has evolved past beer, bowling and baseball and seem to think anything that deviates from the St. Louis they knew as a kid somehow isn't the "real" St. Louis. All of which would sound pretty familiar to someone coming from Milwaukee.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:23 PM

34 posts, read 78,473 times
I agree with both your posts Solas. Pittsburgh has struck me with some Milwaukee qualities. And I could easily see a hypothetical war if Milwaukee saw rapid growth - over the quote on quote "real Milwaukee" of its German roots, breweries, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee