Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 05:26 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,675,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwauk View Post
Again, people unfamiliar with the area get the facts right, but the context wrong.
(Sigh...)...I am not one of those people "unfamiliar with the area" sir. I grew up - age 0-to-18 on 68th and Silver Spring, attended elementary school (walking to and from home) in that neighborhood, rode the Milwaukee County bus up 76th Street for 2 years in high school, worked for 5+ years in high school and college at 70th and Capitol Dr., and lived in my first house from 2001-2003 on 94th and Bradley. I would venture to say that I am personally as familiar with the inner parts of Milwaukee as much as anyone.

Quote:
Murders in inner-cities happen for specific reasons (one guy owes another money (usually over drugs)... one guy slept with another guy's girl, etc.).
Do you truly think that these are good reasons for murder? And even if folks are not specifically being murdered themselves, would you really want to live / bring your children up in areas where this activity is occuring?

Did you just read Kane's article I posted or did you just ignore it?

Quote:
Do innocent bystanders sometimes get shot? Unfortunatley, yes. But innocent people get shot and killed every year during hunting season as well, and no one ever says "don't go into the northwoods... it's dangerous there."
Yes, they do (in your hunter scenario). It is mandatory for folks to take hunter's safety classes. It is mandatory that folks get licenses to hunt because of the danger. Hunters wear bright clothing to signify their presence in hunting because of the danger. Comparing that to some guy doing his job where guns / shooting is NOT supposed to be occuring and getting nailed with bullets just isn't an accurate comparison whatsoever.

Quote:
And people always laugh at me when I say I wouldn't move to the suburbs because I don't want my kids to get caught up in another Columbine (which unlike typical inner-city murders... these kids REALLY DID die because they were in the "wrong place at the wrong time"... those boys didn't care who they killed).
Columbine, and as many pathetic school shootings as there have been across the U.S. in recent years, still are very rare. Violence and murder in Milwaukee's high-crime areas and schools is anything but rare.

Quote:
usually perpetuated by people who have no f***in' clue about the area.
Again, not sure who you are referencing in a vulgar manner, but I surely have a clue about the area given my upbringing and living and working in the area. I had a gun held to my head and cocked when working at 70th and Capitol over some $50 bills in the cash register...but I guess I wasn't in the "wrong place at the wrong time" and if the guy had shot me it somehow wouldn't have been that big of a deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 08:38 PM

151 posts, read 703,386 times
Milwaukee has been in the spotlight big time lately for the amount of violent crime per capita. The mayor has a lot to answer for in terms of police issues, etc. THere has even been a proposal to bring in National Guard units (not exactly sure from who, sorry) but I can't believe that idea would be suggested off the cuff. A woman who lives in a supposed "good" area near UWM was violently sexually assaulted yesterday in the middle of the day as she went out to get her mail at 12:30 P.M. An -- male pushed her into her house as she stepped out onto her porch. There have been over 20 armed robberies since the beginning of the year in the Bay View area where my husband and I lived when we were first married, which has been considered one of the "better" areas. What IS going on? Does anyone know and can anyone really help?

Old 04-08-2007, 09:41 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,285,178 times
I definitely would not recommend that you live in Milwaukee's ghetto, but there are many other city neighborhoods that have a high quality of life: the East Side, Downtown, Third Ward, Brewer's Hill, and many more. As is the case with most cities, Milwaukee is a terrible place to live if you have to live in the poorest and most violent areas. But for those with the resources and inclination to live in other neighborhoods, it's great. I've lived in many places--the SF Bay Area, the Philadelphia/NYC corridor, Columbus, Birmingham, Buffalo, Madrid, Milwaukee--and Milwaukee leads the pack in most respects.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:44 PM

12 posts, read 234,271 times
If you are comfortable living in an urban environment, there are safe, pleasant, livable areas in the city of Milwaukee. It’s true that the overall crime rate in the city is higher than the national average. In fact, we were a little concerned before we moved here last summer, especially after reading some of the comments on these boards.

We ended up in an apartment on the East Side and our experiences have been very positive. The area has a good mix of old homes, apartments of various ages, and some new condos. There are several large, clean supermarkets and an abundance of interesting restaurants. There are also some nice parks (Veterans Park on the lakefront and Lake Park up by UWM come to mind), beaches, and the marina.

As for safety, I generally walk or take public transit when running errands and have never had any really scary experiences. On the other hand, I seldom leave the area bounded by Locust Street on the north, the Milwaukee river on the west, and Third Ward to the south. As a relatively new resident, I can't really offer an opinion on other areas of the city. I can say that my odds of getting shot by some crazed Milwaukeean seem pretty low.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:47 AM

23 posts, read 146,101 times
I lived in the Milwaukee suburbs (New Berlin) for 18 years. I then spent 4 years living downtown and attending Marquette University. I currently live in a condo on prospect; so it's fair to say I've seen many sides of this city. I can say from personal experience that Milwaukee is very sporadic with crime. It's completely dependant on where you live. I have many friends that live in the heart of downtown, the 3rd ward, and the east side. None of them have ever had any issues with crime.

I also worked for a landlord during my college years. He owned many rental properties that would be considered in the "ghetto" of Milwaukee. The "ghettos" are just pockets of bad areas on the north side. Some city blocks are good and some city blocks are bad. These changes are usually dependant on who owns the properties. Slum landlords allow drug dealers and over various criminals to move into their properties. On the other hand when a reputable landlord buys housing and fixes it up, you get more respectable citizens living in these areas.

I personally am choosing to move out of Milwaukee because of the weather. However, if you can get past the nasty winters it's a very nice city.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:49 PM

27 posts, read 142,939 times
I'm a man who lives near west side of the city and I don't walk around the streets at night.

The violent crime in Milwaukee is horrible. Although shootings and murders happen mainly in certain areas, robberies and carjackings happen in spread areas.

Overall it's a fun city and affordable to live. I like it not much traffic compared to other cities and the people are decent.

I'll be honest though, the crime is bad.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:46 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,675,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathead View Post
I'm a man who lives near west side of the city and I don't walk around the streets at night.

The violent crime in Milwaukee is horrible. Although shootings and murders happen mainly in certain areas, robberies and carjackings happen in spread areas.

Overall it's a fun city and affordable to live. I like it not much traffic compared to other cities and the people are decent.

I'll be honest though, the crime is bad.
I surely do agree with you...the crime is out of hand. However, to be fair, Milwaukee is like Denver - very much a "suburban / metro" area, etc. (Milwaukee itself is only like 550,000 population but the metro area is 1.5+ million people)...and in stark contrast to the city of Milwaukee itself, the suburbs are in general extremely safe and have small crime.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 12,884 times
excuse me no cracker (white folk) has any business in the drug crime black low income getto northside of milwaukee,so I was told by a black lady when I asked about the north side of milwaukee,wonder if that is true?? any whites live in northside milwaukee???

Old 07-03-2007, 12:35 AM

45 posts, read 141,675 times
The cost of living is pretty affordable, except downtown. It isn't the safest city but I think crimes in the minority-populated areas are exploited a lot. There is crime all over the Metropolitan area and while you do hear about some of these crimes in other areas on the news and in the paper, those aren't the big stories and they don't spend as much time on them. I've lived in one of the "ghetto" areas of Milwaukee's Northside all of my life. I went to Milwaukee Public Schools and attended one of the worst high schools in the district and I have also ridden city transportation since I was a kid. I've never been in a dangerous situation (I've lived hear all my life and have hung around some not-so-great people and I've still never even gotten into a fight!). Although I do hear gunshots at night and someone who is unfamiliar with the area or who has never experienced that might be terrified of hearing it where they live, I'm not scared of it and I'm not scared to walk around at night either. Just in case your thinking that I'm black and that is why I feel safe and have never been targeted by acts of violence, I am a white female. Living in the area I live in, and having always had only black friends I have experienced personal attacks of racism (towards my friends and myself) as well as just the general feeling of racial tension here and it is what I hate most about the city. That is also the sole reason I would not recommend moving here. Although I love this city, sometimes this oppressive, resentful atmosphere just makes me sick and it's definitely worsening. Not a great place for someone wanting to raise accepting, open-minded kids with all the prejudice from every side of the spectrum.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:31 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,781,754 times
Having lived in different parts of Milwaukee and in many other cities, I can say Milwaukee is safe to live. The best parts of Milwaukee are in the city itself imo.

There are certain parts within the city that are very rough areas, high crime. So, don't go in those areas, pretty simple. There are downtowns elsewhere not as safe as Milwaukee. Walking at night downtown Milwaukee is safe. So are many other city neighborhoods. Stick to those neighborhoods. It isn't rocket science or tough. Should Milwaukee be safer overall? Sure. Does Milwaukee have plenty of very safe options in the city? Sure.

There is a lot of crime on th West side and Northwest side of the city. Guess what, take that into consideration daily. The Northeast side is very safe as is the lower East side. Downtown is safe. Third Ward is safe. Brewer's Hill is safe. Riverwest is edgy and iffy.....etc....

If you want very safe, go to very safe areas. If you want edgy, go to those areas, and if you want high crime, go to those areas. The boundaries haven't changed in a very long time. So it isn't rocket science.

Most suburbs are very safe.

Milwaukee has problems with crime, education, segregation and local government.

It's a mixed bag, and I don't see that changing any time soon. It's much better in the city close to downtown areas than it has ever been. And probably as bad as it has ever been in the bad areas.

Many cities have certain high crime areas to avoid. Milwaukee is no different in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee