Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:48 PM

11 posts, read 51,287 times

Advertisements

Milwaukee is considered one of the worst cities in the US. Crime is high depending where you are in the actual city. Some parts are bad, like Hampton Ave., some good like Water Plank Rd. Murder rate is averagly 105 a year. Suburbs nice.

Schools are pretty good.

People are nice. There is a very big black pop., same with white, pretty big Hispanic, and good sized Asian/Pacific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 07:18 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Default Wrong on some many levels.

Quote:
Milwaukee is considered one of the worst cities in the US. Crime is high depending where you are in the actual city. Some parts are bad, like Hampton Ave., some good like Water Plank Rd. Murder rate is averagly 105 a year. Suburbs nice.
Milwaukee is not even in the list of Top 25 Most Dangerous Cities.

Milwaukee Crime Rates Drop Drastically - News- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29268789/ - broken link)

Milwaukee's violent crime drops 19% in early 2008 - JSOnline

Milwaukee is a very diverse city:

According to the 2007 American Community Survey, the city's population was 46.8% White (40.9% non-Hispanic-White alone), 40.0% Black or African American, 3.5% Asian, 1.2% American Indian and Alaska Native, 0.1% Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, 10.6% from some other race and 2.0% from two or more races. 15.1% of the total popolation were Hispanic or Latino of any race. [3]

That's all I will say, I'm going to take the higher road instead of bashing another c-d'er.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:48 PM

20 posts, read 66,566 times
I've lived in Milwaukee all my life, and am on my way out. While there are nice areas, you still often have to go through trash areas to get to where you want to go. IF you have kids, stay out of the city of mMilwaukee. The schools are awful. There are a very few good mps schools, but once your kids hit 6th grade, they all suck! check out the test scores & incident reports! AWFUL

Old 02-02-2010, 11:44 AM

711 posts, read 1,688,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmila View Post
I've lived in Milwaukee all my life, and am on my way out. While there are nice areas, you still often have to go through trash areas to get to where you want to go. IF you have kids, stay out of the city of mMilwaukee. The schools are awful. There are a very few good mps schools, but once your kids hit 6th grade, they all suck! check out the test scores & incident reports! AWFUL
There aren't a ton of great MPS schools for after 6th grade, but they are out there and consistantly beat many suburban schools. If a person is looking for a good high school both Reagan and Rufus King are the best options in MPS and no sacrifice compared to suburban districts.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:59 AM

131 posts, read 209,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpking5 View Post
South of the airport there are stereotypically a lot of Latinos, and it is not a bad neighborhood, but not a good one.
Well... They're north of the airport mostly, but its a perfectly fine neighborhood, except for a few square miles. I lived on 15th and Cleveland until the fifth grade, and while I woudn't walk around by myself with an ipod at night, it isn't really that bad.

Quote:
On the West side, there are some very nice areas of Tosa and West Allis. However, the crime rates are somewhat high.
Now, I know crime is rising in the eastern part of West Allis, but what on earth are you talking about? Crime high in Wauwatosa? Unless you mean teenagers smoking pot, I think you're imagining things.

Quote:
The East side is where the college is, so it is very contemporary and has a lot of nice outdoor cafes in the summer. It is also notorious for having gay people.
I should be upset, but this is too funny. For anybody that reads this, genuinely curious, Milwaukee is generally very gay friendly. The normal rule applies, too: gay neighborhoods are, well, gay. The other kind.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:42 PM

10 posts, read 61,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioninaconcretejungle View Post
Milwaukee is not a great city,its a place that should be condemed for its societal human rights violations.Those in power can crack down on employers that do not adhere to the Civil Rights Acts of 1964( which would not be hard in Milwaukee,as the racism in the job market is blatenly obvious,from temp servives with 99% white staff and over 95% minority ''clients'',to stores that nearly always have a white manager,even if the store services mostly black patrons),stop electing individuals who are complacent on the issue,and carefully study police/judge records and immediately fire those guilty of practicing discrimination (giving blacks more time for crimes than whites, racial profiling,etc).

To put it simple,stop ignoring what any non bias individual can see clearly-flat out oppression.

You are right,the 12 billion dollars a year being spent in Iraq could do alot to help fix some of the problems right here in America.
The things you named definitely happen in Milwaukee. But they also happen in every other city that's not Milwaukee. So if anything, the US should be condemned for its lack of regard for human rights (which I'm not disputing).

But much as I hate to admit it, the quality of life (or lack thereof) for black Milwaukeeans has as much to do with problems within the black community than anything else. We have so many black elected officials who could give a s**t about serving the community and only care about pushing their own agenda and doing favors for whoever happens to be kissing their a** at the moment. It also doesn't help that at least 95% of the black people with the means to do so leave the city instead of starting businesses here and giving back to the community. A couple years ago I questioned why an acquaintance was selling her storefront property on Lisbon to some corporate developers out of Chicago rather than somewhere black owned and she told me no black people had even inquired about it.

Until I moved to the eastside, I thought the white people in Milwaukee were some of the most vile and hateful people on earth. But now I know it's more accurate to say that the white, upper middle class baby-boomers who are part of the "old boys network" that has a stanglehold on local government are equal opportunity oppressors who have disenfranchised communities of all races (including white) throughout the city.

I say all this to say your anger is well-founded and justified. But taking the stance you are right now is probably alienating potential allies that are gonna be needed if things are ever gonna change around here.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:46 AM

196 posts, read 473,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyk.D.MKE View Post
Until I moved to the eastside, I thought the white people in Milwaukee were some of the most vile and hateful people on earth. But now I know it's more accurate to say that the white, upper middle class baby-boomers who are part of the "old boys network" that has a stanglehold on local government are equal opportunity oppressors who have disenfranchised communities of all races (including white) throughout the city.
There's plenty of the most vile and hateful people on earth in terms of what you're referencing. They're just mainly living in the suburbs, as far away from black people as possible. East side is too close and too urban for them -- I'm still quite surprised you found a prevalence of attitudes like that on the east side. I thought the east side, fifth ward, downtown, Walker's Point and all that was supposed to be the liberal, open-minded side of town where I could relocate to, for a nice middle-class living environment, if ever these suburbanites out here became a little bit too bigoted. Looks like I'm down to Brown Deer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyk.D.MKE View Post
It also doesn't help that at least 95% of the black people with the means to do so leave the city instead of starting businesses here and giving back to the community. A couple years ago I questioned why an acquaintance was selling her storefront property on Lisbon to some corporate developers out of Chicago rather than somewhere black owned and she told me no black people had even inquired about it.
A lot of blacks like relocating down south because that's where the majority of our families and ancestry resides. Pretty much all of the blacks I hear of that move from Milwaukee relocate down south. Even in my own case: the majority of my family lives in Louisiana but in the 1960s my grandparents joined many other blacks in The Great Migration era (famous U.S. migration in which many blacks traveled north from the south) to get away from all the racial discrimination and atrocities. Just like many blacks were doing, my grandparents separated from their family and friends and left the south to build a life in the north. They all thought there were better opportunities and less racial injustices here and wanted to raise their children in decent living environments. From what my grandparents tell me however, racial discrimination was even worse here; just none of it was televised because Martin Luther King and the rest of the famous Civil Rights leaders were all down south. Wasn't long before the northern black community experienced impoverishment and all its negative results. Anyways, my closest cousins who used to live in the Sherman Park area all moved to Atlanta in 2000 which has always bummed me out; my closest widowed grandmother on my dad's side of the family moved; my grandparents on my mom's side were planning on moving back to Louisiana but my grandmother died so my grandfather just said screw it I guess because he never followed through on any of those plans after her death in 2007.

SEE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_M...rican_American)
SEE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Great_Migration

Point is, one has the choice of staying here in an area that's experiencing high amounts of racial segregation, discrimination, and high black unemployment rates in comparison to the rest of the U.S. states or relocating closer to one's family where, albeit those same issues exist, not as bad. Many would choose the latter understandably so.

Last edited by AmericanHistory09; 02-14-2010 at 05:14 AM..

Old 02-14-2010, 08:51 AM

5 posts, read 10,583 times
I've been in Milwaukee for 7 years now. I started at UWM, living on the east side for 4 years. That area has been unsafe for the last few years. People can't walk alone without getting mugged. My first two years of school, you probably could without worrying too much, but my last two years there were muggings nightly.

Then I moved by Bayshore mall, on the Whitefish Bay/Glendale/Milwaukee borders. That area is safe, as long as you stay closer to Whitefish Bay (which is really safe).

Now I have been living downtown the last two years and it is great. It's okay to walk alone (but I wouldn't encourage it!).

My advice about schools: I'm an MPS teacher. Budget cuts and the families have made schools continue to decline. Do not send your child to MPS. I have a great school, but I still have 35 4th graders in my room... all to myself without any help.

The only places to live in the city of Milwaukee is close as possible to the lake. Bay View is wonderful! Also, any borders of Milwaukee and other cities are safe too.

Basically, if you don't have to live in the city of Milwaukee (I do since I work in MPS), live in a a neighboring city.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:59 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,002,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetzelem View Post
I've been in Milwaukee for 7 years now. I started at UWM, living on the east side for 4 years. That area has been unsafe for the last few years. People can't walk alone without getting mugged. My first two years of school, you probably could without worrying too much, but my last two years there were muggings nightly.

Then I moved by Bayshore mall, on the Whitefish Bay/Glendale/Milwaukee borders. That area is safe, as long as you stay closer to Whitefish Bay (which is really safe).

Now I have been living downtown the last two years and it is great. It's okay to walk alone (but I wouldn't encourage it!).

My advice about schools: I'm an MPS teacher. Budget cuts and the families have made schools continue to decline. Do not send your child to MPS. I have a great school, but I still have 35 4th graders in my room... all to myself without any help.

The only places to live in the city of Milwaukee is close as possible to the lake. Bay View is wonderful! Also, any borders of Milwaukee and other cities are safe too.

Basically, if you don't have to live in the city of Milwaukee (I do since I work in MPS), live in a a neighboring city.

Muggings nightly? I think your getting carried away. I've been walking around the area for the past 25 years and most of the time alone and I have never been mugged. If your going to make crazy claims like this do us all a favor and BACK IT UP WITH EVIDENCE! Such as crime reports and stats. I understand there some crime issues to deal with but hyperbole like this is ridiculous.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:16 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Quote:
They're just mainly living in the suburbs, as far away from black people as possible.
Come on AH, what is their no black people that dislike whites? Generalizations hurt your cause more than they help. As for the North being more racist than the South, well I lived in rural Louisiana and urban Louisianan and I was shocked when I started to talking to some of the locals. That statement couldn't be further from the truth.

Take some advice from one of my black friends who moved up here from Chicago. "Once you stop becoming obsessed with race and angry at white people all the time you realize, that you rarely encounter racism. It's when you are always looking for a reason to be offended and discriminated against that you are always reading into things and looking for a reason to be oppressed."

My friend told me this right after he told me he used to hate white people, he said it wasn't until he moved to a white neighborhood like Milwaukee's lower east side that he began to see people for people and not perceptions. He also used to hate Milwaukee just b/c it wasn't Chicago and now he never wants to go back to Chicago. Funny how things work out in the end. Life is too short to be worry about Polish jokes or hate for all Jews or race all the time.

I was just amazed when he told me that when you always look for racism you will always find it but when you stop analyzing everything in life as black or white you begin to see the colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee