U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 12:41 PM

26,306 posts, read 21,422,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
Milwaukee...I grew up there, and it's always amazed me how nobody outside of the Midwest seems to know a thing about it. It's a decently sized city (2 million in the metro area), but it's in the shadow of Chicago, due to proximity no doubt. What have you heard about it? What are your thoughts of it? For those of you who have visited, would you recommend it to others?
I live outside of the Midwest and I know about Milwaukee. Then again, my father is from Milwaukee. I have only been up there for visits. I haven't resided there.

When I was younger, tightknit neighborhoods, beer, ice cream, and Happy Days(the tv show) often came to mind.

When I read about Milwaukee, it contrasts with all of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 02:57 PM

102 posts, read 65,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I live outside of the Midwest and I know about Milwaukee. Then again, my father is from Milwaukee. I have only been up there for visits. I haven't resided there.

When I was younger, tightknit neighborhoods, beer, ice cream, and Happy Days(the tv show) often came to mind.

When I read about Milwaukee, it contrasts with all of that.
Except that the beer is still around. haha

Old 11-30-2008, 04:04 PM

2,456 posts, read 3,063,829 times
Default What comes to mind when you think of Milwaukee?

The Safe House! Is that place still there?

I've been to Milwaukee a number of times and liked it. Although a big city, it still has a "small town" feel to it in some aspects. In size and scale it reminds me a lot of my native Cleveland. I felt very comfortable there.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:13 PM

11,703 posts, read 10,445,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
What?
Phrase I heard endlessly from my mother and a few other non-Jewish people in the neighborhood when referring to the Jewish people who lived near us in Milwaukee...."kosher Jews."

Old 11-30-2008, 05:24 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,565,853 times
Someone posted an article from the LA Times recently about Milwaukee. I'll find the link later. Some writer came out here for the opening of the Harley Museum last summer. He ended up writing an entire article on everything BUT that. He mentioned how it's a lot more cosmopolitan than he would have ever thought.

I've really come to like the city. If it had a light rail or subway and warmer weather, it would be much better though. The east side of Milwaukee is always extremely busy. This is where most bars and clubs are in what was recently awarded the title, "America's Drunkest City".

Old 11-30-2008, 05:25 PM

3,940 posts, read 9,457,699 times
Milwaukee's Best... ew!

Old 11-30-2008, 05:34 PM

4,211 posts, read 10,392,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Someone posted an article from the LA Times recently about Milwaukee. I'll find the link later. Some writer came out here for the opening of the Harley Museum last summer. He ended up writing an entire article on everything BUT that. He mentioned how it's a lot more cosmopolitan than he would have ever thought.

I've really come to like the city. If it had a light rail or subway and warmer weather, it would be much better though. The east side of Milwaukee is always extremely busy. This is where most bars and clubs are in what was recently awarded the title, "America's Drunkest City".

I also read that, I remember the editor comparing it to Seattle, I think. Any ways they were impressed with the place.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:38 PM

3,580 posts, read 4,418,870 times
Da BEAST....... Milwakee's best that is!!

Old 11-30-2008, 05:43 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,907,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I also read that, I remember the editor comparing it to Seattle, I think. Any ways they were impressed with the place.
I remember the article you're referring to, and I believe it was written by Susan Carpenter of the LA Times. I don't know if the article is still available, but she was very much impressed with how cosmopolitan Milwaukee was.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:27 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,907,487 times
I know I just posted, but I forgot to say that the Calatrava Art Museum is stunning. Not only is the structure on the shore of Lake Michigan stunning, the art collection is as well. The lake shore and the very beautiful east side of Milwaukee is what I think of when Milwaukee comes to mind. Someone should post some pics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee