Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 08:49 AM

88 posts, read 214,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
Most of your posts are rude, insulting or negative. Do you ever have anything good to say? Try to be a bit more positive.

Just because I'm not going to pretend that Milwaukee is some kind of great major city when it's not. Milwaukee needs to make up it's mind if it's going to be a big city or small town. I was born and raised here, I love Milwakee. I'm just tired of being lied to. This isn't a city. It's just the largest small town in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 08:55 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon357 View Post
Just because I'm not going to pretend that Milwaukee is some kind of great major city when it's not. Milwaukee needs to make up it's mind if it's going to be a big city or small town. I was born and raised here, I love Milwaukee. I'm just tired of being lied to. This isn't a city. It's just the largest small town in the United States.
I guess you would say the same thing about Denver, Seattle, Nashville, DC, Boston since they are all the same size as Milwaukee(city limits).

Old 11-16-2009, 09:48 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,678,248 times
Quote:
Just because I'm not going to pretend that Milwaukee is some kind of great major city when it's not. Milwaukee needs to make up it's mind if it's going to be a big city or small town. I was born and raised here, I love Milwakee. I'm just tired of being lied to. This isn't a city. It's just the largest small town in the United States.
Who is lying to you, and about what are they lying? It is a big city. Not sure what part of that you don't understand. So far, your definition of "big city" is one that builds skyscrapers, light rail, and chain restaurants.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:45 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,312,527 times
Quote:
It sounds like you might be a bit burned out on Milwaukee? That would be understandable--I'm from the SF Bay Area originally, and I got sick of it after 20 years.

I don't see why the options have to be either big city or small town. To me, Milwaukee is a medium-big city with a lot of great things and with many not-so-great things. It's true that there are equal or smaller cities with a bigger skyline and stuff like that (Minneapolis, Denver, etc.), but there are also equal or bigger cities with (in my opinion) less glitz than Milwaukee (San Jose, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Columbus, Baltimore, and so on).

Milwaukee could definitely improve in some areas, but it's not like it's Podunk, either. But maybe your dissatisfaction comes from having lived here all your life, and you want to so it grow faster than it has. That's understandable. I came to Milwaukee after living previously in a couple of less interesting cities, so I feel grateful that I'm here, in spite of the imperfections. It's all about perspective, I guess.

If at all possible, consider doing whatever you can to make Milwaukee a better place. The grass may be greener elsewhere sometimes, but we often forget that it's up to us to make our own little garden as green as possible.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:01 PM

80 posts, read 231,806 times
Beer, Brewers, Bucks, Summerfest, State Fair, Safe House, great food, great people. Has to be one of the most underrated/underappreciated cities in the U.S.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:02 PM

80 posts, read 231,806 times
How could I forget Harley?!

Old 11-16-2009, 07:03 PM

402 posts, read 976,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
It sounds like you might be a bit burned out on Milwaukee? That would be understandable--I'm from the SF Bay Area originally, and I got sick of it after 20 years.

I don't see why the options have to be either big city or small town. To me, Milwaukee is a medium-big city with a lot of great things and with many not-so-great things. It's true that there are equal or smaller cities with a bigger skyline and stuff like that (Minneapolis, Denver, etc.), but there are also equal or bigger cities with (in my opinion) less glitz than Milwaukee (San Jose, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Columbus, Baltimore, and so on).

Milwaukee could definitely improve in some areas, but it's not like it's Podunk, either. But maybe your dissatisfaction comes from having lived here all your life, and you want to so it grow faster than it has. That's understandable. I came to Milwaukee after living previously in a couple of less interesting cities, so I feel grateful that I'm here, in spite of the imperfections. It's all about perspective, I guess.

If at all possible, consider doing whatever you can to make Milwaukee a better place. The grass may be greener elsewhere sometimes, but we often forget that it's up to us to make our own little garden as green as possible.
Excellent Excellent post! I was born here, raised here and I am one of those people who really likes Milwaukee and has no desire to leave it. Good part of your post to make our own little garden.!!

Old 11-16-2009, 07:36 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
Great Point, I know I tell this story a lot but their new people here so I will tell it again. I grew up in Milwaukee until I was 13 and the whole time I lived here I hated it as a kid. Then I went to high school in a small Wisconsin town and came back to Milwaukee nearly every weekend and still hated Milwaukee but it was better than small town life. Then I joined the Marines and after the marines I traveled and lived in many states and cities, Miami, Memphis, STL, New York, Houston, PHX, San Diego, Cincy, New Orleans. After retuning to Milwaukee I begin to see a new Milwaukee in 2004. I still wasn't sold on Milwaukee but after really seeing Milwaukee and giving it a chance I soon realized I really enjoyed Milwaukee and I have since returned to many of those cities I lived in and visited and I really love Milwaukee NOW, after seeing what is out there it I truly think the people that trash Milwaukee for being dirty and crime ridden and in a down spiral, I am convinced that these people haven't been anywhere else. Believe when I say it is a lot worse in other cities. You think Milwaukee is dirty and crime ridden try Memphis or Philly! You think Milwaukee has nothing going on try Cincy or New Orleans.

Milwaukee isn't NYC but compared to other cities it's size and cities bigger than it, Milwaukee has a lot going for itself and a lot of reasons to be proud!

Old 11-16-2009, 10:43 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,417 times
Not to bash Milwaukee but it's kind of the equivilant to Philadelphia in the Boswash corridor. It's shadowed by Chicago, and when I think of Milwaukee I think of a mix of Chicago's north side and south side with a skyline of gold coast divided by 10...if that made any sense

Old 11-17-2009, 03:38 PM

41 posts, read 58,409 times
What comes to mind when you think of Milwaukee?

Not the phrase mini-Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee