U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 12:59 PM

72 posts, read 253,197 times
Default The best Milwaukee beer is....

What are the best beers in Milwaukee that I might not find in the east coast?

What's worth bringing back home?

Just looking for a few opinions - thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 01:55 PM

27 posts, read 141,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdkkr View Post
What are the best beers in Milwaukee that I might not find in the east coast?

What's worth bringing back home?

Just looking for a few opinions - thanks!
It depends on what your personal taste is, but nothing beats the selection that Lakefront Brewery has. Their flagship beer is Riverwest Stein which is an amber lager, but I prefer Klisch Pilsner.

Besides, Milwaukee's always been about supporting the little guy, so take the tour (it's only $5 and they give out samples at the end). Here's the website:

http://www.lakefrontbrewery.com/

Old 02-28-2007, 02:00 PM

20 posts, read 69,280 times
Smile Sprecher

Sprecher deserves a vote too... any of their seasonal varieties, IMHO. Actually, I like their sodas as much as their beer...especially the Orange Dream. It takes like a Dreamsicle in a bottle! Yum...

They also offer tours and have a store at their north east side location. Here's their web page:

http://www.sprecherbrewery.com/

Old 02-28-2007, 02:14 PM

This is great info. I do a lot of work in Manhattan. I can't say I've heard of these beers, but they sound good (and strong!).

I'll probably take the tour since I'm riding solo, I need something to do, and drinking beer seems an obvious to pass the time. I'll need some stories for my NYC buddies.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:21 PM

Cool Great story props

Quote:
This is great info. I do a lot of work in Manhattan. I can't say I've heard of these beers, but they sound good (and strong!).

I'll probably take the tour since I'm riding solo, I need something to do, and drinking beer seems an obvious to pass the time. I'll need some stories for my NYC buddies.

Having lived in NYC from '98-'02, bringing back beer and cheese curds with you will make the stories you'll tell even better! I think New Yorkers like to drink *almost* as much as Milwaukee-ans. But not quite.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:36 PM

Default Beer drinking prowess....

That sounds like a challenge!

(I don't even know what cheese curds are though!)

Old 02-28-2007, 09:31 PM

Wink She doesn't drink BEER? And she's from Wisconsin?!?

Quote:
That sounds like a challenge!

(I don't even know what cheese curds are though!)
Not a challenge... I don't even DRINK beer.

(Now I will just wait a minute for all the Milwaukee-ans reading this post to gasp, shake their heads, and continue reading...done? OK.)

I am, however, married to a connoisseur of fine domestic and international brews. AND I have tasted many fine beers myself - I'm sure of it - but I prefer fruity drinks.

Now. On to cheese curds. Per www.dictionary.com, "cheese curd" is not a recognized word. Which explains why no one outside of the immediate Wisconsin area (WI, IL, MI, MN and maybe parts of IA) knows what it is. Let me explain. A cheese curd is a small, bite-sized piece of cheddar cheese. When making cheese, after the curds are separated from the whey, the curds are usually gathered together and pressed into a mold to make a block of cheese. This is not so in making cheese curds. They simply stop the process here and sell the curds as is (after salting, I think). (Forgive me, cheese makers, if I am over-simplifying this. I'm trying to remember what I learned in my 5th grade cheese factory tour. That was a long time ago.)

They are excellent for snacking. Some restaurants bread and deep fry them, which is wonderful when done right because the cheese is all melted and the breading is nice and crisp... oh, heaven! Some cheese makers flavor them with cajun spices, or ranch flavorings, or dill... I like them just about any way you can get them. But they must be FRESH!! If they are fresh, they will squeak when you bite into them.

You can find them in just about any decent sized grocery store in town in the cheese section. If you'll be in town personally, might I recommend a trip to the Usinger sausage factory store in the 3rd ward? Usinger sausages are another home town favorite - they make wonderful summer sausages, hot dogs, bratwurst, and other German sausage specialties. AND I believe they have cheese to sell in the store, also. Great place. Here's a link: http://usinger.com/tidbits_shop.php (broken link)

Old 02-28-2007, 09:33 PM

BTW, you should also have some KRINGLE and take a drink from a BUBBLER while you are here.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:17 AM

Default Kringle and Bubbler?

Sounds like some initiation or rite of passage for unsuspecting out-of-towners. I'll pass on the Kringle, though the bubbler could have potential, whatever the hell that may be - I don't know.

With all the curds and whey you are eating, has a spider ever came along and sat down beside you? It makes sense that Miss Muffet was from Wisconsin, I suppose. She sat on a "tuffet" - something I still have no idea what that is, but you probably sit on after the Kringle and Bubbler, then chase that down with aforementioned curds and whey?

I'm starting to understand why you need a lot of beer, brats, and cheese out there. I am really looking forward to this trip, especially since if it works out - I will be back semi-regularly and apply for honorary cheesehead status.

You are very funny and I appreciate the information.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:46 AM

Unhappy *Gasp* PASS on the KRINGLE???

[quote=mdkkr;414630]Sounds like some initiation or rite of passage for unsuspecting out-of-towners. I'll pass on the Kringle, though the bubbler could have potential, whatever the hell that may be - I don't know. quote]

Oh, don't pass on the Kringle! It's a very delicate pastry with wonderful jam-like flavoring in the middle and glaze on top... mmm.... Apple cinnamon, raspberry, and cheese are my favorites. I bet you can find some of them at the aforementioned Usinger's gift/schlock store.

As for a bubbler... what do YOU think it is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee