U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-19-2008, 01:00 PM

16 posts, read 32,703 times

Advertisements

We are not even finished with December and yes we have had some snow this year and yes we did get 12" of the stuff today but folks we live in the north and it's Wisconsin and it's winter. I am tired of the squeeze frame TV starting two days before a snow fall. I am fed up with doomsday predictions of every snowflake that might fall on our fair city. We have shovels, snowblowers, and other implements of snow destruction to get us through. My neighbor actually bought himself an end loader to shovel his short driveway, no joke! What would happen if we ever did get a real snow storm?
Travelling and Cooking With Grandpa (http://travelswithchummy.blogspot.com/ - broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 06:28 PM

21 posts, read 54,919 times
I agree completly, local news annoy me with all that patronising nannying behaviour. Treating grown up people like children. I dunno, there are a lot of accident so maybe they have a point sometimes, but still it looks like they go way overboard with alarmist emphasis on the weather. From their broadcasting array of pointless, repetative, irrelevant "news" it seems to me that they got no news to report and just trying to stay in business. "Oh cat fell of the tree!!! Let's send a news team in the helicopter there and talk about it endlessly!!!" "But not before we announce it for like 50 times in alarmist, sensationalist manner." "And then we follow up with daily, unnecessary, endless bitching and jabbering about weather even though it's not always that bad and the whole forecast can actually be done in 2 minutes." It's gonna snow again tommorow 2-4 inches, temperatures from 10-20 degrees. That's it! That's all you need to say!! But they keep going on and on about it like anybody would actualy remember all that information about jet streams and all the colored weather fronts. And they doing it every day! They take their weather way to seriously all year around, makes you wonder if they got nothing else to talk about. Funny thing is behind of all that pointless jaberring you can hardly focus your attention on an actual forecast because it's taking them too long to anounce weather. Nowdays I just check forecast on Yahoo Weather and done with it. They keep in nice and short.

I say if you got nothing important to report then clear the air for more useull, informative and educational programming. Something people can actually benefit from.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:17 PM

137 posts, read 190,683 times
I've never really thought about this but you're right. And you don't even need 2 minutes...more like 2 seconds.

"A jet stream from Canada will create this cold front that's gonna work it's way south and we'll get some lake effect snow for the next 4 days. It's all due to these mammoth cumulous clouds that originated over Antarctica and shielded the sun from some glaciers that are melting away. Doppler Radar shows that it's gonna be around 5 degrees with a 90% chance of snow/hail/sleet/rain mix that may eventually become black ice. But if you look at the map closely it's 75 and sunny in San Diego. By the way what an incredible job by those guys who rescued that cat from that bonsai tree today. Okay Bob, back to you."

How bout: "It's gonna be 5 degrees today with snow."

Old 01-16-2009, 11:24 PM

6,861 posts, read 12,274,191 times
I can't believe people still believe in Global warming, I wish we had global warming. Lake michigan would be deeper and I could play golf in november.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:46 PM

3,058 posts, read 8,205,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I can't believe people still believe in Global warming, I wish we had global warming. Lake michigan would be deeper and I could play golf in november.
Well, Milwaukee City, you can always say:

"Tell Al Gore that if the polar ice caps are still melting furiously away, not to worry, because the Fond du Lac (or Sheboygan or Milwaukee or Oak Creek or whatever) ice caps are alive and well".

I just got back in tonight from a 3-mile run (10:30pm) in -6 degree (actual) temps. I will tell you what...in 2006 a lot of the global warming hysteria (as evidenced on this board) was from "winters not being as cold as I remember when I was a kid"...well, I tell ya what, that is just about as cold as I ever "remember"...and if I remember colder (a couple occaisons I do), I don't want those memories to stay with me!!!

Old 01-16-2009, 11:51 PM

you know its bad when you can see your breath in your basement

Old 01-16-2009, 11:53 PM

3,058 posts, read 8,205,777 times
Default Here's the deal with the forecasts...

For all of you that have complained about the weather sensationalism on local TV news, here is your reality check:

Local TV news - like everything on television - thrives on RATINGS. Ratings drive advertising dollars and those dollars largely are what keep those employees employed and those businesses in business.

Ratings for local TV newscasts now are through the TOILET. Compare the ratings in 2009 to those of 1999, or better yet, 1989. Cable TV, satellite TV, the internet, alternative media / newsmedia, etc., have chewed so deeply into the ratings of the local TV news. In many regards, it is grim.

However, when do ratings SOAR for the local TV news?

You guessed it...weather coverage.

People eat it up. They love their weather coverage and the ratings reflect this passion. When weather is the topic...the numbers blast up.

So people may complain about the weather coverage as being sensational or overblown, however, they then turn right around and turn in in droves to the coverage on local TV. Of, if they don't, they are not a part of, I guess a silent majority who does.

Ratings don't lie. Why do the newscasts hype weather coverage so? Because as the ratings reflect, it is what the people largely at home watching the TVs (and ultimately paying the bills) demand.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:55 PM

I'd move to Jamaica if I was single, the red stripe there is not the red stripe here!!!

Yeah that's what I'll do, just keep dreaming I'm on a beach in Jamaica listening to some sizzla while drinking a real red stripe!!!

Old 01-16-2009, 11:59 PM

I am the biggest cry baby when it comes to cold weather!!!

Old 01-17-2009, 12:07 AM

I just never understood why people like going outside in winter at all. Sledding, its too cold, snowboarding, too cold and I'm not going for a walk in winter ever!!! so as I said before when the wife finish grad school it is see-ya!!! SoBe or SoCal!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee