Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 03:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,052 times

Advertisements

I am just wondering what you all have gleaned from the current job market in Milwaukee. I am currently 26 and living in Portland, OR but grew up in Wisconsin and am looking at returning. I am looking for a more urban feel, have lived in Madison but I feel it is a little too much of a college town and am looking for something a little bigger. I really like Milwaukee, I was there last summer and was astonished at the changes that have happened. I don't know many people in Milwaukee, but am curious what the job market is like there. Are there jobs to be had? Or is it pretty competitive? I am business oriented so I'm not too particular on the company, just the basics to provide.

Any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 04:20 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
It depends what industry your in. I'm in finance and so is my wife and we are both doing well and I just joined a new firm during this recession(for some). Finance jobs, my opinion are stable unless your firm invested largely in the loan market but Milwaukee has a ton of insurance related jobs that always do well. I also had a relative move from the Twin Cities because she tried for months to land a job and could not. Milwaukee also has a ton of health care service fields that even today are expanding. My father just landed a new job as well so when you read or hear doom and gloom not all industries are doing bad, if you have a strong resume you should be fine.

What line of work will you be pursuing?

Old 01-05-2009, 04:23 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pembano View Post
I am just wondering what you all have gleaned from the current job market in Milwaukee. I am currently 26 and living in Portland, OR but grew up in Wisconsin and am looking at returning. I am looking for a more urban feel, have lived in Madison but I feel it is a little too much of a college town and am looking for something a little bigger. I really like Milwaukee, I was there last summer and was astonished at the changes that have happened. I don't know many people in Milwaukee, but am curious what the job market is like there. Are there jobs to be had? Or is it pretty competitive? I am business oriented so I'm not too particular on the company, just the basics to provide.

Any tips?
Astonished? Me too. And I live here part time!

First, let's get the obvious out of the way. Employment is slow everywhere. This, we already know.

The thing that will be the biggest obstacle--bigger than the general economic outlook--is that you are from out of state. Wisconsin, and Milwaukee, is very "hometown" oriented. They like to hire from within, so to speak.

What will work in your favor, is your age. You can probably find something. Whether it is what you want, or just something to pay fixed costs, is another story. But I would still be surprised if you were not able to find any work at all.

One company I worked for in Milwaukee used to be horrified at having to talk to an out of town candidate. A similar company I worked for in Washington, DC, included an average of $5k in moving expenses as one of the costs of hiring. If we got a local candidate, they actually thought it was a "savings"! Just to draw a comparison, you will not find that company in Milwaukee.

I was a very experienced hiring manager (Director level), in IS and IT, in several cities. To give you a brief snapshot of my track record, 100% of people I have hired, have stayed in the companies they were hired into. Several are highly paid managers. And 100% of the people I said "no" to, (but were hired despite my rec), did not make it. I am very modest, but in terms of hiring ability, I always hire the proverbial "right person for the job". I say this because, I never went along with the traditional "don't hire from out of state" logic.

Having said that...

Milwaukee is definitely the most "conservative", in terms of out-of-state employees. I would say that your best bet is to either move to Milwaukee with enough money to live for a few months, then work with contract or temporary employment. Either that, or get a local address, and plan on coming out for interviews. It may be tough, but if you have the resources, I'd move, then find a job. There are opportunities. You have probably already done your homework, and have found them. It's a matter of playing the odds and getting in front of enough people until you get one of the available slots.

One final thought: Salaries for certain employees are higher in other cities. It should go without saying, but I found that many people expect to come to Milwaukee, and make a Chicago salary. Those opportunities truly exist, but they're not easy to find. Don't be that guy or you will greatly prolong your search. Put your salary expectations within reason, within the range that is realistic for the area, and your chances will go up significantly.

Finally, best of luck to you.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Wisconsin, and Milwaukee, is very "hometown" oriented. They like to hire from within, so to speak.
Thank you very much for the replies, they have been very informative and are much appreciated.

One thing that I am curious about, I did grow up in Wisconsin, Janesville area, and lived in Madison for a year or so after school. If you were in a company that liked to hire locally, would that have any effect? Granted, I am currently out of state, but do consider Wisconsin to be my home state. Does that have any sway in your opinion? Or is it mainly people living currently in the area.

Also, what is the job market compared to locations? Downtown vs Suburbs?

Thanks again!

Old 01-05-2009, 04:44 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Quote:
Also, what is the job market compared to locations? Downtown vs Suburbs?
It used to be very one-sided with a lot of the jobs in the 'burbs but recently with developments in the valley and downtown/east side more and more employers are relocating into the city. Small start-ups/manuf. jobs will mainly be in the 'burbs but health care is all over, finance is downtown, law firms also.

A lot of small tech jobs are also in the burbs, New Berlin and Franklin have huge business and industrial parks that are fairly new that might not have been around when you were here last. A lot of the big factories are gone and have been replaced by a lot of small specialized manufacturing companies 5-100 employees(ie;tool & die shops/ fab shops) .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee