Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:15 PM

4 posts, read 17,592 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating with my husband and young child to the area in May. In my research I have heard lots of good things about Pewaukee and Delafield. Many people have also said these two cities have different "feels."

What are some of the differences between Pewaukee and Delafield?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 11:19 PM

17 posts, read 71,358 times
Ill give you my opinion from growing up in Delafield. I dont have any stats or anything like that. Im still young and this is just my opinion.

There isnt that much difference and are pretty close to each other so whatever you cant get in one, the other is 10 minutes away.

Delafield is more affluent and more expensive to live in. The school system in Delafield is Kettle moraine, and that shares with Wales, Dousman, and a few other small towns in the area. Its a really great school system, I went there K-12. They have an awesome sports dept (especially Girls Basketball, though its been a few years since Ive kept track of the record) Anyway, its a beautiful area and there are lots of cool shops, restaurants and cool things to do. Pewaukee has alot of the same things also, they have a great lake to go swimming at. Pewaukee is also a pretty decent school, smaller and not as much financial backing (Im guessing?) But that was always the impression or assumption looking from an outsiders view. Never heard anything bad about the schools as far as I can rememeber though.

Delafield residents have the rep of being more snooty and full of themselves. But the whole lake country area is more wealthy in general than alot of areas in WI that youll find em all over. But Ive pretty much always found people to be friendly. (and Im considered lower middle class by the standards) Youll defenitly find nieghborhoods that have a community feeling and friendly nieghbors. If thats what your looking for.

Really, IMO the only difference is the cost to live there (again Im pretty much guessing on this, just the general assumption from someone who never had my own place in either area) and also the smaller school system in Pewaukee. The two areas are so close that you have amenities from both just down the road.

I dont know the difference in how things are run, the cost or any stats or anything. This is just my view as a former member of the community

And just a tip, the Pewaukee Walmart is better than Delafield.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:03 PM

4 posts, read 17,592 times
I was also wondering about New Berlin. Is there any differences with this town?

Old 01-17-2009, 03:36 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
The difference between Pewaukee and Delafield is the name and the municipal borders. Other than that, six of one, half-dozen of the other.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:06 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,248,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving.mama View Post
I was also wondering about New Berlin. Is there any differences with this town?
Location. I grew up in NB, and it was a nice childhood. There is development, not unlike Pewaukee, on Nat'l Ave. Pewaukee has a similar area on Capitol. Pewaukee has Pewaukee Lake, which is nice if you live right next to it, otherwise there are lots of other lakes that are a short driving distance to all of them (NB being the farthest away from the lakes, but not THAT far). Delafield has that little downtown area, which my wife likes. All of them are subdivision cities, IMO, which has pros when raising a family. They all have good schools, or so I am told.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:52 PM

14 posts, read 108,713 times
No difference, both are just white-flight-created suburbs, made of mostly Milwaukee expatriates. You know, subdivisions, shopping centers with huge parking lots, mostly white people, 30-45min hour work commute, that kind of thing. But maybe Delafield does have a more small town feel with little shops. I believe both places are actually really short on water though so I'd think twice about both. If possible, check out the north shore suburbs where they can use lake water. Also eastern parts of New Berlin get lake water, so you'd be safe there.

Last edited by MidwestAir; 01-19-2009 at 01:01 PM..

Old 01-19-2009, 02:59 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestAir View Post
I believe both places are actually really short on water though so I'd think twice about both. If possible, check out the north shore suburbs where they can use lake water. Also eastern parts of New Berlin get lake water, so you'd be safe there.
This is locally media-created BS hype.

The day that these fairly affluent communities in water-rich Upper Midwest Wisconsin - in "Lake Country" - have a water shortage to sincerely affect every day life is the day that I become a Top 40 pop chart hit artist. 'Tain't going to happen. Nothing to even think about.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:10 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,770 times
Default Here's the real scoop...

OK, let's get to reality here...

Pewaukee and Delafield don't have a tremendous difference as a few others have noted.

Both are fairly nice, upper-to-upper-middle class suburbs of Milwaukee with fairly traditional new-development strictly-suburban family-centered developments (very large new construction homes with a lack of sidewalks but nice community parks, etc.). Very nice lakes, streams, parks, forests, etc.

Both are safer than safe can be.

Pewaukee is a bit bigger and a bit older. Especially around the Pewaukee Lake area, you'll find a bit more commercial / restaurant development. I believe access is a bit better in Pewaukee.

As others have mentioned, as Pewaukee and Delafield tend to be more upper-to-middle-upper class, probably Delafield is almost exclusively middle-upper and Pewaukee has a few more pockets of middle.

Obviously though, in terms of their close proximity in Lake Country, both are very similar in lake-laden, scenic, far-western-metro Milwaukee proximity.

New Berlin is a tick different - especially in eastern areas - than the other two.

New Berlin has plenty - PLENTY - an affluent area as well, however, New Berlin has on the eastern regions especially more middle class, semi-urban development. Especially in these areas, you'll find the most commercial and established / aged development.

New Berlin would provide a bit better access to the heart of the metro than the other two.

New Berlin, while still overall middle-to-middle-upper-to-upper, would offer the widest array of strictly middle class to upper class housing stock available between these three.

If money / rush hour wasn't a huge concern, probably my favorite personally would be Pewaukee (beautiful Pewaukee Lake, nice sized community, beautiful), with Delafield second (if I had $600K to spend on a house...which I don't come even in the range of reality to) and New Berlin third. However, if I cared about commute / proximity to the city and semi-urban options, New Berlin would win.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:15 PM

14 posts, read 108,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
This is locally media-created BS hype.

The day that these fairly affluent communities in water-rich Upper Midwest Wisconsin - in "Lake Country" - have a water shortage to sincerely affect every day life is the day that I become a Top 40 pop chart hit artist. 'Tain't going to happen. Nothing to even think about.
They are already drinking well water that doesn't meet EPA standards, and are an area out of the Lake Michigan drainage basin. International law prevents these types of communities from obtaining Great Lakes water, so you have a better chance of making the top 40 charts than you think.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:28 PM

396 posts, read 1,698,395 times
I live in the town of Delafield, but have a Pewaukee zip and address and Hartland phone number and schools. Very confusing around here. I do like both the towns of Delafield and Pewaukee. Both are alot of fun in the summer. I would say Delafield seems a bit newer and has more places to eat. Pewaukee is a bit more fun in the summer with free concerts every week and alot of festivals on the lakefront. As for New Berlin I don't think there is a central downtown or a big lake, so it seems a bit more of a generic suburb to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee