U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Favorite Milwaukee News Channel?
WTMJ 4 5 25.00%
FOX 6 8 40.00%
CBS 58 3 15.00%
WISN 12 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2009, 09:33 PM

6,776 posts, read 11,496,841 times
Default Your Favorite News Channel

What channel is your favorite Milwaukee news channel?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 09:39 PM

204 posts, read 460,549 times
TV? Why wait when you can get news on demand with the internet?

Old 01-17-2009, 10:06 PM

I can't stand Bart Adrian or Vince Condella and there extreme Northern Wisconsin(GB) accents. It's really a tie between Ch.4 and 12 for me, I find myself flipping back and forth.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:14 AM

3,058 posts, read 7,912,233 times
First off...yes, before this thread gets some smug lecturings or two, yes, we all kind of realize that local TV news is what it is...not much "real" investigative news / reporting, very sensationalized / touchy-feely-stuff, and overall, questionable-at-best as critical to a community's news-well being...

So yes, that is all out of the way.

However, if you clicked on this thread, I encourage you to either ignore it (if your lecture is going to be roughly that of above), or, answer the question in the spirit of the thread.

My vote:

CBS 58

To me, CBS 58 (easily the farther down in the ratings and kind of the forgotten channel) is the least sensationalized / most semi-strick-to-news over the others. I like that the best. CBS 58 has the lowest production budget / the lowest amount of vans / equipment, etc., so that forces them to be far less sensationalistic (versus Channel 4 sending a van out "live" to report on someone angry about their frozen custard melting in the summer...)...

Having picked on Channel 4, they are my second favorite - Mike Jacobs is my favorite local anchor, and they have the best production values (which, I know, stands in direct contrast of my last evaluation of 58). I also come out of a "Channel 4" family...my uncle actually worked for years in a higher echelon with WTMJ...so I guess that does create bias for me there.

What I do like about FOX 6 is their 9 o'clock coverage. If there is a breaking local sports or weather story, it is helpful going to them at 9 rather than waiting for 10 for the others. I think overall FOX has solid production and solid people...weather people like Condella or Adrian have been around here forever (although is it just me, or does Bart Adrian have an eternal sinus infection that will never heal??)...but weather people do that in Milwaukee (see: John Malan, along with formerly Paul Joseph and even State Congr. Jim Ott)...

I just have never been a 12 guy. Never have. Kathy M. just doesn't do it for me for whatever reason, and I was never a Jerry Taff guy either (although did like Mike Anderson). It seems like folks here are either 4 or 12 people, and I am solidly in the 4 camp between those two.

So my ratings:

1. 58
(close) 2. 4
3. 6
4. (distant) 12

Old 01-18-2009, 12:19 AM

I guess I jump around a lot, in the morning it's ch.4 for me and at 9 it's ch.6 then at 10 it's ch.4 or 12 for me.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:05 PM

4,465 posts, read 4,501,072 times
We lived for a while in s. Wisconsin and had Charter so we had access to both Millwaukee and Madison stations. We gravitated to the Milwaukee channel (can't remember the number; Charter's never corresponded with the local designations, anyway) that features Kathy Mykelby, Mike Anderson (most credible reporter/anchor in the market, for my money), Mark Baden, and Dan Needles, a sports reporter that seems to understand that you need to be a stand-up comic to be a good sports reporter. Madcity's (despite the area's rep.) was far more slanted to the business interests of the town.
Both stations (and all in those markets, as in all domestic markets) used VNR's (Video News Releases), which are infomercials for business groups (big pharma, etc) that are passed-off as news. Madison just seemed more blatant in their usage.

I have been a news junky for the past 40 years so it is sad to see what's happened to the industry over the past two decades. The internet is a good newssource- as long as you use numerous international sources as a cross-check; It helps to be bilingual.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:12 PM

I would change mine to Ch.4 if I could. I like the local news more than national news stories.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:43 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,640,366 times
Answering in the spirit of the thread...

I'm not a "local news" watcher and you people know who you are....but I've spent considerable time around local news watchers. These people would kill in the streets before you turned off their local news, which of course is mostly depressing, and negative. What happened to that positively Milwaukee dude btw?

I like people to give it to me straight and simple, no over the top opinions, no phonies. Mike Gousha for example was solid in that role. I watched Jerry Taft for 100% pure lol entertainment. He always found a way to bring the story back to him when he used to fly planes and so forth. Priceless. But he still found a way to be non-threatening.

Someone mentioned Mike Jacobs, and I see him and I think way too rigid for me most likely.

I will not pretend that I do not objectify women on the news. It's not a requirement and I don't care about your appearance if you are any good, but it's always nice to combine a little substance with a little personal attraction. Paul Joseph taught a class at a local college and I was told he did well, and his daughter is a nice girl and married a friend, so that works for me.

I'd take Mike Gousha, Toya Washington, and Chrystina Head.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:21 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,748,397 times
Wherever Mike Gousha is, he used to be on WTMJ 4 now he's on WISN 12. He makes Milwaukee look classy and refined. I do really miss Lynise Weeks, she was the consumer reporter for WTMJ 4, but died of kidney disease a few years back.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:30 AM

I cannot stand the accent Melessia mcCrady has on ch.4 it's so Fargo the same goes for bart adrain and vince condella
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee