Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:43 PM

204 posts, read 752,367 times

Advertisements

You are probably right to feel sketchy about 94th & Brown Deer. The ex-Northridge area (76th & Brown Deer Rd) gets a bad rap, and 95th & Brown Deer Rd is a large part of the reason why. I'm a huge fan of the 53223/4 zips and feel that they're a vastly underrated section of the city, but this one part of it that just doesn't carry the best reputation. (And if anyone thinks it's unwarranted, go do a google search for 'mom+gives+teen+gun+milwaukee'...)

There's actually a surprising amount of decent residential housing just northwest of Northridge. You might be able to find as nice of housing for around the same price around 85th St. The further away from that Woodlands Condominiums area, the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 05:26 AM

192 posts, read 594,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterball42 View Post
Quick question: I've been living in Milwaukee for about a year (renting in Story Hill), and my husband and I are looking into buying our first home. I'm teaching, so we also need to live within the city limits. I've checked out the areas in NW Milwaukee that were mentioned, and some seem very nice, but there are signs everywhere for Granville...is Granville still part of Milwaukee City, or is it a suburb? The city borders seem kind of all over the place.

BTW, we also really like the Mt. Mary area; seems to be very affordable for first time buyers! We also like where we're at in Story Hill (v. nice being able to walk to Brewers games!), but most homes are a little too big/expensive.

Washington Heights is beautiful, but those houses are HUGE! Definitely more appropriate for someone with a larger family and a bit more money...
I was curious about Granville as well, because recently doing genealogy, I found a couple who were married there in the 1940s, and I couldn't find it on a map.

Evidently, up until the 1950s, it was a separate town. It was absorbed in 1955; half became part of Brown Deer, and the other half was absorbed by the City of Milwaukee.

Granville, Wisconsin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Historic Granville Corporation, Milwaukee Wisconsin

Old 08-16-2009, 10:31 PM

204 posts, read 752,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
You are probably right to feel sketchy about 94th & Brown Deer. The ex-Northridge area (76th & Brown Deer Rd) gets a bad rap, and 95th & Brown Deer Rd is a large part of the reason why. I'm a huge fan of the 53223/4 zips and feel that they're a vastly underrated section of the city, but this one part of it that just doesn't carry the best reputation. (And if anyone thinks it's unwarranted, go do a google search for 'mom+gives+teen+gun+milwaukee'...)

There's actually a surprising amount of decent residential housing just northwest of Northridge. You might be able to find as nice of housing for around the same price around 85th St. The further away from that Woodlands Condominiums area, the better.
'onlyeverything' --- Funny thing happened when I opened up the paper this morning... Turnaround seen for Woodlands.

The city is trying to better the situation there (which I did know), and the police on site (which I was not aware of) can only help the surrounding area. Read the article for more info. Maybe that'll give you some peace of mind. Best of luck in your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee