Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 12:25 AM

426 posts, read 1,736,271 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Oshkosh and went to school at UW, so I'm not really that aware on what is happening in Milwaukee. I really didn't go there much after my relatives who lived there moved away in 94, so I really didn't know much about Milwaukee for quite awhile. After visiting several times last year, I'm really surprised its not doing better than it is.

When I visited last year, I really hadn't been there in awhile. I expected it to be like I remembered it as a young kid when we visited more: dark, depressing, falling apart, and overall just not an exciting nor a happening place.

Although it still could use a few tall buildings and a lot more retail, what I saw surprised me: There was a good deal of construction, it seemed very clean, and above all, there seemed to be an invisible energy of civic pride humming through the air. Most of all, I just got the vibes of a dying city that was finally getting its **** together and getting ready to actually become a really awesome, hip, and cool city.

Milwaukee, except of weather of course, has just about everything to offer. Beautiful parks, an array of festivals, good diversity, a beautiful lakefront, close proximity to other major cities, beautiful architecture, beautiful neighborhoods, and even some really great suburbs.

I feel like if Milwaukee, unlike Cleveland, St. Louis, and some other rustbelt cities really has what it takes to evolve into a white-collar city.

Is this just me foolishly grasping at a naive hope, or does anyone see this too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 10:35 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
I grew up in Oshkosh and went to school at UW, so I'm not really that aware on what is happening in Milwaukee. I really didn't go there much after my relatives who lived there moved away in 94, so I really didn't know much about Milwaukee for quite awhile. After visiting several times last year, I'm really surprised its not doing better than it is.

When I visited last year, I really hadn't been there in awhile. I expected it to be like I remembered it as a young kid when we visited more: dark, depressing, falling apart, and overall just not an exciting nor a happening place.

Although it still could use a few tall buildings and a lot more retail, what I saw surprised me: There was a good deal of construction, it seemed very clean, and above all, there seemed to be an invisible energy of civic pride humming through the air. Most of all, I just got the vibes of a dying city that was finally getting its **** together and getting ready to actually become a really awesome, hip, and cool city.

Milwaukee, except of weather of course, has just about everything to offer. Beautiful parks, an array of festivals, good diversity, a beautiful lakefront, close proximity to other major cities, beautiful architecture, beautiful neighborhoods, and even some really great suburbs.

I feel like if Milwaukee, unlike Cleveland, St. Louis, and some other rustbelt cities really has what it takes to evolve into a white-collar city.

Is this just me foolishly grasping at a naive hope, or does anyone see this too?
Milwaukee has the good the bad and the ugly. MKE can evolve and do better, but it needs alot of work.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:25 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
I have been telling people for the last 3yrs that Milwaukee has changed so much from the MKE from 10yrs ago.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:48 PM

178 posts, read 361,058 times
Quote:

you're kidding right? have you actually looked for a job in Milw? are you a welder, CNC machinist or metal stamper? if not, that's 50% of the jobs out there. Don't register with a temp service if you want an office job, 80% of their jobs are blue collar.

Pittsburgh has revitalised towards health and white collar, MKE isn't even close, and never will be. It's completely stuck in the past.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:08 PM

426 posts, read 1,736,271 times
I think it really has a chance to someday. The first thing that needs to change, of course, is the "Wisconsin" inferiority complex that is far deeper than just Milwaukee. Even if we deep down ove our state, we are afraid to admit it to others.

As sad as it is, Wisconsin is like South Park in Butters. We are like the kid in elementary school who, when people call us stupid, we play along and say "Yeah, I'm so stupid."

That needs to change. There is so much great stuff here. Its really better than most states.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:49 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
Quote:
you're kidding right? have you actually looked for a job in Milw? are you a welder, CNC machinist or metal stamper? if not, that's 50% of the jobs out there. Don't register with a temp service if you want an office job, 80% of their jobs are blue collar.

Pittsburgh has revitalized towards health and white collar, MKE isn't even close, and never will be. It's completely stuck in the past.
<Mod cut: argumentative / personal attack>I do a lot of research about Milwaukee 7's business economy and there is more white collar jobs growing in our area as opposed to blue collar. What's wrong with blue collar jobs? San Jose seems to be getting by just fine.

Last edited by EnjoyEP; 01-29-2009 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: argumentative / personal attack

Old 01-26-2009, 05:27 PM

178 posts, read 361,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
<mod cut: argumentative / personal attack> I do a lot of research about Milwaukee 7's business economy and there is more white collar jobs growing in our area as opposed to blue collar. What's wrong with blue collar jobs? San Jose seems to be getting by just fine.
queludes and dexatrim actually,

MKE is great for Blacks

National: Milwaukee Has the Highest Unemployment Rate; Justices Hear Voting-Rights Case; Blacks Save Less For Retirement, Survey Finds | News You Should Know | BET.com (http://blogs.bet.com/news/newsyoushouldknow/national-milwaukee-has-the-highest-unemployment-rate-justices-hear-voting-rights-case-blacks-save-less-for-retirement-survey-finds/ - broken link)

second highest unemployment rate is in Milw. county, you know, because we don't make anything anymore in America.....

""As the economy worsens and balancing the budget becomes increasingly difficult, this behavior compounds the challenges we face. At a time when Milwaukee County suffers from the nation's second-highest unemployment rate, we need money to create jobs and fuel our economy. Instead, Walker is turning his back on county residents.""

Your Day - JSOnline

at least MKE isn't as bad as Detroit!!!!

""the city of Milwaukee ranked second in unemployment rates among the largest 50 American cities last year, behind only Detroit. ""

Last edited by EnjoyEP; 01-29-2009 at 02:40 PM..

Old 01-26-2009, 07:40 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,211 times
Quote:

I do see a lot of the changes you mention, though it might be a while before Milwaukee can claim to be a white-collar city in the way that Seattle or SF are white-collar cities. However, I'm quite okay with that. The Milwaukee area has had and continues to have a really good mix of industries, lifestyles, and cultures, and I think that's a benefit. If you take away the blue-collar part of Milwaukee, you also take away the truly ethnic markets and restaurants, many of the close-knit neighborhoods, and some of the other features that make this city unique.

I lived in Buffalo, NY and rural Alabama before moving here, so in comparison, Milwaukee seems like quite the upscale, white-collar haven. Heck, for the hardcore, there's even organic markets, world-class arts, good used bookstores, fashionable boutiques, and Fortune-500 companies. The blue-collar presence may be more visible in many parts of the metro, but the white-collar presence holds its own quite well. But again, it's a good mix. I grew up in an uber-white-collar part of California, and though I liked many things about it, it lacked a cultural and historical authenticity that Milwaukee and similar cities have. If Milwaukee were to turn into Seattle or Carmel or Palo Alto, it would be less interesting and engaging (though the bookstores would be better )

Old 01-26-2009, 07:45 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamucil View Post
...the facts that MKE is in bad shape...
Is MKE in bad shape? Compared to places like Dallas, sure, but the metro is still growing (slowly) and economic indicators are fine. According to the report recently released by the U.S. Conference of Mayors, Milwaukee's unemployment rate is about on par with the country's rate, and the growth in unemployment is expected to be slower than in harder-hit parts of the country.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:06 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamucil View Post
queludes and dexatrim actually,

MKE is great for Blacks

National: Milwaukee Has the Highest Unemployment Rate; Justices Hear Voting-Rights Case; Blacks Save Less For Retirement, Survey Finds | News You Should Know | BET.com (http://blogs.bet.com/news/newsyoushouldknow/national-milwaukee-has-the-highest-unemployment-rate-justices-hear-voting-rights-case-blacks-save-less-for-retirement-survey-finds/ - broken link)

second highest unemployment rate is in Milw. county, you know, because we don't make anything anymore in America.....

""As the economy worsens and balancing the budget becomes increasingly difficult, this behavior compounds the challenges we face. At a time when Milwaukee County suffers from the nation's second-highest unemployment rate, we need money to create jobs and fuel our economy. Instead, Walker is turning his back on county residents.""

Your Day - JSOnline

at least MKE isn't as bad as Detroit!!!!

""the city of Milwaukee ranked second in unemployment rates among the largest 50 American cities last year, behind only Detroit. ""
Ten Cities For Job Growth In 2009 - Forbes.com
Milwaukee is #5 on this list, so we must not be doing too bad.

As far as having the second highest unemployment rate among working age African-American males, that's a shame. I think it's ironic that you learned this information from BET, since they are indirectly responsible for contributing to those figures. BET bombards its viewers with images of young, successful, self-made millionaires who never graduated from high school and made it big in the entertainment industry. Not exactly a realistic goal for 99.9% of people. Many "urban youth" feel like they have to drive a Bentley and sport a Rolex in order to be successful and emulate these so-called role models. Anything that requires performing actual work seems like a waste of time unless it pays off right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee