Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Kenosha -v- Racine
Kenosha, Chicago's Most Northern Suburb. 16 48.48%
Racine, Up and Coming. 17 51.52%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 12:45 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times

Advertisements

See I thought people would be proud of all the development in PP and the outlet mall and everything else that is going on in PP. We all know it's technically not Kenosha but you would probably being doing Kenosha a favor by refering to the area as Kenosha it's like you are trying to distance yourselves from Pleasant Prairie, is there some Jealousy I'm not a ware of or a rivalry of some sort. When people say they are going to Mayfair mall 99% of people say I'm going to Milwaukee to go to Mayfair mall. It's splitting hairs. I can tell you when I hear people say they are going to the Prime Outlets they say "I'm going to Kenosha to go to the Prime Outlets or the dog track" I have heard many people refer to Bristol Oaks golf course as being in Kenosha, I know it's well west of the city limits but what's the difference. I never hear people say "I don't live in Milwaukee, I live in west Milwaukee" True but west Milwaukee is more Milwaukee than it is West Milwaukee. Just like Pleasant Prairie. When you go on a trip up north or out of state do people say "I'm from PP" or "I am from Kenosha" most people aren't going to know where PP is. Better to capitalize off of Kenosha than not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 01:30 PM

33 posts, read 32,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
See I thought people would be proud of all the development in PP and the outlet mall and everything else that is going on in PP. We all know it's technically not Kenosha but you would probably being doing Kenosha a favor by refering to the area as Kenosha it's like you are trying to distance yourselves from Pleasant Prairie, is there some Jealousy I'm not a ware of or a rivalry of some sort. When people say they are going to Mayfair mall 99% of people say I'm going to Milwaukee to go to Mayfair mall. It's splitting hairs. I can tell you when I hear people say they are going to the Prime Outlets they say "I'm going to Kenosha to go to the Prime Outlets or the dog track" I have heard many people refer to Bristol Oaks golf course as being in Kenosha, I know it's well west of the city limits but what's the difference. I never hear people say "I don't live in Milwaukee, I live in west Milwaukee" True but west Milwaukee is more Milwaukee than it is West Milwaukee. Just like Pleasant Prairie. When you go on a trip up north or out of state do people say "I'm from PP" or "I am from Kenosha" most people aren't going to know where PP is. Better to capitalize off of Kenosha than not.

I think you might be wayyyy over thinking this MilwaukeeCity. There is no rivalry or distancing that I know of. The people I mentioned in my last post to you were from the outlying areas and they did not consider themselves as Kenosha. Yes people from out of town are going to refer to it all as Kenosha. It's just a catch all. Many of them probably do not know- much less care- what is the boundry for Pleasant Prairie. I on the other hand live in Kenosha and I don't think of the area by I-94 as "Kenosha". When you live here, it's just considered "out by the Interstate" or Pleasant Prairie. It has been that way for a long time. If I lived in Pleasant Prairie, I would probably say I'm from the "Kenosha area", not Kenosha. As for being proud, I don't think that an overabundance of chain restaurants, gas stations, outlet stores, a used car lot and a supermarket is something that makes me beem with pride. What is "all the stuff" that's supposedly going on anyway?

As for Milwaukee, I know many Milwaukeeans who will say I'm going "over to Tosa." Or I'm going "out to Brookfield". That's all.

Last edited by lotus PA; 12-07-2009 at 02:07 PM..

Old 08-28-2011, 12:07 AM

393 posts, read 891,470 times
Other way, Racine gets to Chicago with Sturtevant Amtrak and Kenosha gets there with Metra.
I think that's what it was.
Yeah Kenosha is definitely a Milwaukee-Chicago mix, but it's not really a suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee