Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 05:37 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,488 times

Advertisements

Hi quijote,
Thanks for the details.

About the domino effect. The areas around my home down *did* fall rather quickly during the downturns in the early 90's. When I left Fla. in '98 for example, I looked at a newspaper one morning before I left. There was a pile of automatic weapons, pulled from *kids* in Palm Beach Gardens. Uzis were in that pile. And that was/is a middle class white area. Don't even want to think about West Palm Beach and Riviera Beach. The local police asked the National Guard for help at one time.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:26 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
I lived out in Lake Country however some of my very best friends live in Milwaukee's inner-city, in those exact neighborhoods you elude to as being "the ghetto". These were very good Family oriented people who's lives aren't especially about being rich. Times are hard for everyone and those communities have battled those elements for a whole lot longer than most of the rest of us.

I don't know where you currently live but I don't think you are looking at life through the right set of glasses. I'm going to suggest Brookfield as your destination. Anything closer to Milwaukee might upset you.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:24 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,813 times
jMadison is just being realistic. One can't deny that when there are many blacks living in a neighborhood there is also high crime. if someone wants to deny that reality then go live in an area that is 40% black or more and see if you don't change your mind. But keep in mind that the reality of black crime doesn't mean that one hates all blacks and therefore this thread is not racist. Why doesn't jMadison have a right to stay away from areas that have a large black population if crime is rampant in those areas? And why doesn't jMadison have a right to express his views even though his views represent a reality that some of you deny. And lastely, why don't whites have a right to form their own neighborhoods and then defend their neighborhoods of integration of unwanted kinds and the right to defend our neighborhoods when crime creeps in?

Old 02-16-2009, 11:32 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
True, But to say you have to move 15 miles or so out of milwaukee to get away from the ghetto is wrong, you would be shooting yourself in the foot. unless your by the near north side or northwest you don't have to worry about much.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:38 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Now if MKE is like the situation of say Compton and it's relationship to Orange County... well there's enough distance that it doesn't really matter what happens in Compton, your expose is near nil. At least in S. OC...

On the other hand, if living in Waukesha, Brookfield, or Menomonee Falls *is* like Gardena, Long Beach, Inglewood, (adjacent to Compton), etc. well then it's pointless. You've got problems. Essentially you'll have a nice house bordering the hood. Sounds like an expensive trap to me.

1. MKE is not like LA. I lived in OC for 3 years, then moved to LA for 2 years, Los Feliz for 2 years, and Redondo Beach for 2 years. Not similar at all.
2. Brookfield, New Berlin, Pewaukee, Sussex, Elm Grove, etc. are all extremely safe. Very suburban, very low crime, good schools, etc. I live out here.
3. Suburbs closer in to the city are also quite safe. I would have no problem living in most of these suburbs with my family of 5.
4. Many parts of the city are quite safe, too, although there are areas to stay area from. My brother's (East side) main concern is college drunks breaking stuff.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:00 PM

204 posts, read 752,430 times
I'm speechless...

Old 02-16-2009, 10:06 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
jMadison is just being realistic. One can't deny that when there are many blacks living in a neighborhood there is also high crime. if someone wants to deny that reality then go live in an area that is 40% black or more and see if you don't change your mind. But keep in mind that the reality of black crime doesn't mean that one hates all blacks and therefore this thread is not racist. Why doesn't jMadison have a right to stay away from areas that have a large black population if crime is rampant in those areas?
I don't think anyone should take jMadison to task for wanting to stay out of high-crime neighborhoods, regardless of who lives in them. I can also understand concern about moving into a neighborhood that borders a high-crime district. But what sets jMadison's post apart is the nearly apocalyptic concern that (high-crime) blacks are taking over the city and metro so much as to make the entire place basically uninhabitable. It's a little like saying "everything we do can kill us, so what's the point." If most of Milwaukee does eventually turn into a cesspool of crime (Black-generated or otherwise), most of us will be six feet under and Beijing will probably be our capital. Heck, even Detroit, one of the most feared cities in the U.S. and long in decline, still has nice places in and around the city.

And true, some neighborhoods are suffering from increased crime, but others are gentrifying and reducing crime. The dominoes are falling in some places, but people are putting dominoes up elsewhere. That's life.

Quote:
And lastely, why don't whites have a right to form their own neighborhoods and then defend their neighborhoods of integration of unwanted kinds and the right to defend our neighborhoods when crime creeps in?
Umm... there's a difference between keeping out "unwanted kinds" on the basis of race and similar factors, versus keeping out criminals.... Ethnic Whites (Poles, Serbs, etc.) and Blacks and Puerto Ricans and Mexicans and blue-collar workers and other folks don't have the right to arbitrarily keep others out of the neighborhoods they live in.... This means Mexicans can move into a depopulating Polish neighborhood, and it means Whites can establish condos and cute little bungalows in reasonably priced Black neighborhoods.

And they all do have the right to help fight crime, though that's a somewhat different issue.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:59 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,714,750 times
Default Moderator Warning

<Moderator message:

OK, now this thread is starting to spiral into the direction I feared it would.

Believe you me, folks, I typically err on the side of "allowing too much" and am totally about allowing extremely different points of view. Also, I am not a big "PC" guy and typically have a long rope as a mod.

However, I will also not allow overtly race-baiting or racist talk from *any* side of the spectrum. This forum allows quite a bit of "free speech", however, we do have a Terms of Service (TOS) that posters need to abide by here...whether you like or not, them's are the rules.

Lets keep the racist and blatantly racist stuff out of here. There is no need.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:59 AM

Hi quijote,
I got a laugh out of the term "nearly apocalyptic concern".

To be honest, I just know myself. I've seen enough breakins, and even two folks I know killed. So I am more of a worrier. No doubt that comes through in my line of questioning.

I just know for me, I'm am significantly more at peace when I'm not immersed in the AA thing. It's one of the first figures I look at when looking at having to go somewhere new to work. Of course it's politically incorrect to say it. So it makes it hard to ask the question without a lot of shouting matches occurring.

Anyway, it's more about personal comfort than any particularly mean spirited hate group angle. I just know what makes me unhappy about my surroundings, and yes, some of then are politically incorrect to state openly. However, I try to know ahead of time, rather than find out in the second place and end up with yet another problem to solve. Life's to short to be miserable. (Unfortunately most of us don't have the economic freedom to just pick "anywhere" to live, otherwise I'd never have to ask this question. I'd just go to the spot I really want... Hawaii! LOL! )

Old 02-17-2009, 07:01 AM

Hi Angorlee,
Thanks for the support. It is a touchy subject. And no doubt, a black person is naturally seeing red at this line of questioning. Yet the stats are there. I don't really know how to ask this sort of thing and not upset folks. Yet I need the info to make a valid decision (for me, of course... some one else might look at the same data and say "oh cool an urban vibe").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee