U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 04:43 PM

36,350 posts, read 57,054,102 times

Advertisements

Yes, we know what a "sundown town" is if for no other reason than you remind us at every possible opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 08:49 PM

2,743 posts, read 5,714,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I don't think the lack of diversity is a coincidence per se. Wisconsin wasn't a slave state, so for that reason, few, if any African-Americans were living there in the first place. Around the 1890's, at the low point of "race relations", many places all over the USA turned into "sundown towns", meaning at sundown, non-white people had to be gone. This included Wisconsin in such places as Greenfield, West Allis, West Bend, and even larger towns that were possibly sundown towns like Appleton. Some places just had few opportunities for African-Americans, so many moved to larger cities like Milwaukee and Racine. Sundown ordinances are illegal now, but places like Appleton and the Fox River areas have very few Africans-Americans living there compared to Milwaukee. Some might argue the lack of factories. There are paper mills up there. The lack of jobs, or rural surroundings were not the only reasons in many cases. Many cases, places had lack of diversity by design and on purpose. That is an ugly part of American history few people would want to admit.

Honestly I can't speak to those ordinances in Wisconsin...don't know much about them, but as you said, it wasn't just here, it was like that in many places around the country (Miami Beach I know for a fact), so I doubt that is evidence or proof that Wisconsin used it to keep Blacks out of the state, or at least no more than other states that had these laws.

I think there are areas minorities tend not to live for a variety of reasons, but I think perceptions also play a role. I have heard Latin people mention how they are "afraid" to leave Texas or Cali and venture beyond because of racism...and that is their interpretation. Now, when I think of anti-immigrant sentiment, it seems much stronger in those areas due to the large flow of immigrants that have radically changed those states in the recent years. Here, Latinos or Blacks could almost be considered a "novelty" because there really aren't that many outside of Milwaukee.

Now, there may be more culture shock for minorities in Wisconsin because it is so overwhelmingly white, but that doesn't equate to racism in my book. Granted I am from Madison, and I suppose small towns are different, but I have been around and have traveled with people of other races outside of Madison and race inequality was never an issue for me or my friends, it just never came up. I am sure it does exist here, as it does everywhere...but I would argue that it certainly isn't any worse in Wisconsin than in say Indiana, Oklahoma, Montana, etc.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:30 AM

17 posts, read 39,169 times
It just pisses me off that places that are over 95% white are tabbed as racist. This is not true. Yes a minority will recieve stares in a town that is pretty much all white, but that doesnt mean this town is racist. Its the same thing as when a white guy goes into an all black neighborhood.
Most cities and towns in Wisconsin are virtually all white, and these places are usually marked off as backward and not progressive by many people

Old 10-18-2009, 09:55 PM

3 posts, read 7,391 times
I was in west bend Few weeks go with a friend. My friend lives close to westbend so we stop at a picknsave buying Food and beverages for the monday night football game packers vs Vikings. I dont know if they never seen a black person before but i was getting plenty looks. it was uncomfortable but being black this is pretty common. to me it seem people out there are just amazed to see black people up there.. lol

Old 10-31-2009, 02:55 PM

5 posts, read 10,718 times
I Do hope this isn't so, but i could see how, I just moved my family to wisconsin, and i will have to be more observant when in west bin,,,,,, scary thought.

ugly situations... racism.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBlaze View Post
I was in west bend Few weeks go with a friend. My friend lives close to westbend so we stop at a picknsave buying Food and beverages for the monday night football game packers vs Vikings. I dont know if they never seen a black person before but i was getting plenty looks. it was uncomfortable but being black this is pretty common. to me it seem people out there are just amazed to see black people up there.. lol
yep that was my feeling that i was just unusually to the populace, but everyone was nice and i was equally nice.

but you could feel your unique.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy4candy View Post
yep that was my feeling that i was just unusually to the populace, but everyone was nice and i was equally nice.

but you could feel your unique.
oh, let me say in a situation like this i feel its my duty to be a role model, and to stop prejudicial thoughts by my positive actions, but note you can lead a horse or dog to the water but you can't make it drink, (don't know which is the correct saying,) (i rather be the bigger person, and not subcomb.)

candy4candy

Old 11-02-2009, 12:18 PM

49 posts, read 97,126 times
West Bend is hardly racist. People act like you'll come up here & see white capes. PLEASE!

Old 11-02-2009, 12:32 PM

5,048 posts, read 6,189,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy4candy View Post
... i will have to be more observant when in west bin,,,,,, scary thought.
"West bin"???

Did you even read the thread? It is no wonder that rumors get out of hand. You don't even know what city you're talking about.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:55 AM

6 posts, read 10,058 times
Y'all are making the South actually seem progressive compared to Wisconsin! Wow! While, we do have our isolated morons...collectively there is a recognition and respect for all americans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee