U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 10:29 AM

250 posts, read 544,003 times
I grew up in miwaukee and thought the same as you. I loved it. That was until I moved and found other spots. I was in san diego for awhile. Not many people dislike SD. It has ideal weather ALL year long. Like no humidity, cool is winters (like 50 at the lowest, mainly mid 60s) and in the summer not too hot like 80, maybe some 90s for a week in august. Nothing bad. I never ran the heat or the ac. You don't pay as many taxes as wisconsin, people get along MUCH better (there is no racist/segregated areas in the city bull**** like milwaukee has). The city as a whole is highly educated and friendly and laid back too. Cant say enough about it. I love mke to visit but I can say I will never live there again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 01:45 PM

66 posts, read 73,599 times
I have lived in the Milwaukee area for 50 years. Over the last three, I have had the opportunity to work 1 week per month in South Carolina. My family is considering moving there. The reasons are as follows:
1) Weather, It gets hot in July and August down there but it is a lot easier to cool down than it is to warm up. The roads down in the south east are very smooth when compared with ours.
2) Our harsh winters take an economic toll. Plowing snow and salting streets is expensive. Our church (which has a moderately sized parking lot) recently asked for donations to help pay for the winter plowing bill which was nearly $66,000. If you look at that cost and then translate it over to the burden of winter as expressed as a function of cost to run a business or government, it is obvious that your coast to operate will be much greater in this climate. How much is spent in Milwaukee county for water main breaks each winter?
When the recession eases fuel prices will rise again. It will just be more expensive to clear the snow and salt the streets.
3) Industry is leaving the area and will not come back. because of the reasons listed above.
Drive around and look at the places where they used to be large industrial complexes. Allis chalmers, Hotpoint, the Malt Mills on 43rd street. Heil Company on 27th. The entire Menomenee valley, Pabst, Schlitz, The American Bowling Congress, Harley Davidson is closing the Capitol Drive Facility (Why not Kansas City, it's in an "orphan" location ?) GM Janesville, Chrysler in Kenosha, Briggs on 124th & Burleigh. Look at the square footage that is empty on the North East Corner of 45 & Burleigh. Look at the area that was to be developed where the Park East once stood. I guess if you want to work at Menards, Home Depot, Target, Wal Mart or some other retail outlet your future is bright. But where will the customers come from.
4) Corrupt government. Milwaukee county pension scandle, Chuck Cvala in Madison. These people made decisions that were bad for the people and are legacy costs that will not go away for years.
5) MPS. MPS graduation rates from High School are than less than 50%. Those that do not graduate are not going to find meaningful employment, they are going to depend on those employed to provide them with the necessities of life or turn to the much more lucrative but violent life of crime.

In the Milwaukee Journal Milwaukee was ranked 19th out of 20 for snowbelt cities. Guess who was #20? DETROIT

It is easy to say that "the grass is always greener on the other side", but, this time I think that may be true. I will be the first to admit that I am wrong, but, the cards of progresss seem stacked against Milwaukee and Wisconsin. As a lifelong resident I hate to say this but, I think we're looking at Detroit #2 here.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:53 PM

6,742 posts, read 11,160,112 times
After driving on smooth soft roads of the south and hot weather and humidity I came back last night and it was freezing in Milwaukee and boom...pot hole after pot hole. 40's 50's too cold I can take 60's but prefer 80-100.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:06 PM

10,483 posts, read 9,140,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
After driving on smooth soft roads of the south and hot weather and humidity I came back last night and it was freezing in Milwaukee and boom...pot hole after pot hole. 40's 50's too cold I can take 60's but prefer 80-100.
Ok, we get it you don't like it here. Then what are you waiting for?

Old 05-12-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Ok, we get it you don't like it here. Then what are you waiting for?
I'm losing the battle with my wife to move somewhere warm

Old 05-13-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I'm losing the battle with my wife to move somewhere warm
I guess a compromise is in order.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I guess a compromise is in order.
I'll take Houston, San Antonio, PCB, SD, SF, LA, PHX, ORD.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I'll take Houston, San Antonio, PCB, SD, SF, LA, PHX, ORD.
I'd go w/San Diego, San Francisco, Portland...what's PCB?

Old 05-13-2009, 10:08 PM

Panama City Beach, Portland's too cloudy, but yeah SD would be great!

Old 05-13-2009, 10:47 PM

35,683 posts, read 53,399,126 times
ORD? You want to move to O'Hare airport?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee