Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 07:09 AM

104 posts, read 416,155 times

Advertisements

I could not live without the West Allis Farmers Market!!!

That said, I have friends that live in WA and they love it. I have never seen them wear black tennis shoes and neither have a tattoo. They really like the school their boys go to. I do remember a time when WA had a bad school reputation, way back when I was in high school. In the 80's! My mom would not marry her boyfriend who lived there, because she did not want us going to the schools. I think the school system has changed quite a bit since then!

This does not stop us from teasing our friends who live there, though. I mean, they are South Siders....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 07:40 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,387 times
West Allis has more good points than bad. I live here, and having lived in other places/states, I am somewhat discerning about where I live.
Schools are pretty good, crime is pretty low, houses affordable, and very centrally-located in the metro area.
Property taxes are high, but that's true of the entire county, and state.
If you move here, my only suggestion would be to go west of 84th, to get the neighborhoods whose houses have side driveways. Most of the neighborhoods east of 84th have alleys, and they are nothing but trouble in terms of garage/car break-ins, snow accumulation and removal, etc.
Direct message me for more info. I recently helped out a couple that moved here from the east coast, and originally posted questions at this forum.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:43 PM

216 posts, read 589,491 times
> Does that factor in Hale as well as Central?

No, this was about Central. Who knows, things may have improved in the last few years, you'd have to research the data.

What I wonder is when people say the schools are 'good' what are they basing their opinion on? No knife fights, the building isn't crumbling, or the test scores that come out of the schools?

If a parent is looking for a good school system in that area, New Berlin, Whitnall, Elmbrook, Greenfield are all better.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:33 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,387 times
Original poster... you're welcome. Not a problem.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:36 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,448 times
what are the streets that mark the boundries of West Allis?

Old 04-07-2009, 11:38 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,448 times
is there a central downtown business area in West Allis or is it all strip malls, etc.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:34 PM

395 posts, read 1,860,277 times
West Allis does have a downtown, comprised mainly of Greenfield Avenue in the 60s and 70s. It is an interesting place, full of a lot of shops that time forgot, like vacuum cleaner repairmen, shoe cobblers and dusty old record shops. Stores that you really don't find anywhere else these days.

'Stallis has it's charms. It is decidely working class. This gives it a certain "mullet" stigma, a stereotype that is based on a kernal of truth. But it is a changing community, an industrial suburb trying a go of it in a post-industrial era.

The old Allis Chalmers plant, for which the town was named, is now a major office center employing thousands in white collar jobs in health care, insurance and banking. To me, this sums up West Allis. It's not glamorous. It's not "Old Money" or "New Money." It's a working suburb full of working people. If you have a problem with this, then don't live in West Allis.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:35 PM

395 posts, read 1,860,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
what are the streets that mark the boundries of West Allis?
'Stallis is more or less comprised of I-94 on the North, Oklahoma on the South, 124th Street on the West, and roughly 60th Street on the East.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:18 PM

3 posts, read 10,692 times
Being a semi-recent graduate of the West Allis school system, I have a fairly good understanding of what the schools are like. While I only attended high school in West Allis (at Nathan Hale), it definitely prepared me for college. Because of all the Advanced Placement classes available, I was a step ahead all through college and was able to register for classes earlier than the majority of my peers. The teachers that I had while I was there were excellent educators who went above and beyond for their students. I'm not sure what the current situation is like (I graduated in 2004), but I'm assuming that the majority of the faculty is probably still the same. Because of my education at Hale, I'm graduating with honors from UW-Eau Claire and attending Pharmacy school in the fall. While I'm sure this is not totally indicative of the school system, I felt that my classes in high school were equally as rigorous if not more rigorous than some of my classes my freshman or sophomore year of college. However, I also recognize that the surrounding schools (New Berlin for example) are probably equally as good if not better than some of the West Allis schools. I'm not sure about the amount of AP classes available at these other schools, but I know that Hale has a very wide selection which is especially helpful for the college bound student.

To sum up, I went to high school in West Allis and had a wonderful experience there, and would definitely recommend it for anyone.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:53 PM

167 posts, read 315,460 times
I like West Allis because it is affordable and close to pretty much everything, thanks to I94 / 894/45, Hwy 100, and Oklahoma, National & Greenfield Avenues. Tons of shopping, anything you need, traffic isn't bad, parks close by if that is your thing. There is plenty to like about 'stallis.

The only thing that sucks is property tax and if you rent you don't have to worry about that either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee