U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-02-2009, 12:48 PM

395 posts, read 1,172,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
but we will always be Wisconsinites.
This is true, Milwaukee is located in the state of Wisconsin. So in that sense us Milwaukeeans are Wisconsinites by definition. But I love Milwaukee, while I'm fairly indifferent to Wisconsin. It's not a bad state, to be sure, there's tons of natural beauty, great towns and a lot of culture. But I will always be a Milwaukeean first, and a Wisconsinite second. I just don't think of Madison, Green Bay, Eau Claire, and points in between, as "home."
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 01:09 PM

6,746 posts, read 11,184,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee Ronnie View Post
This is true, Milwaukee is located in the state of Wisconsin. So in that sense us Milwaukeeans are Wisconsinites by definition. But I love Milwaukee, while I'm fairly indifferent to Wisconsin. It's not a bad state, to be sure, there's tons of natural beauty, great towns and a lot of culture. But I will always be a Milwaukeean first, and a Wisconsinite second. I just don't think of Madison, Green Bay, Eau Claire, and points in between, as "home."

Yup, this sums it up very well, I would apply to me as well.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:34 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,652,160 times
Why should we Milwaukeeans give a damn about the rest of the state, when they could care less about us? I grew up in the Fox Valley and I frequently ran across people who had never set foot in Milwaukee County in their entire lives. I couldn't believe it. That means they have never been to a museum, concert hall, zoo, planetarium, live theater, the state fair, Summerfest, Brewers games, Bucks games, or anything else remotely cultural. I guess I was just fortunate to have my dad's side of the family located down here, which allowed me to experience much of what Milwaukee had to offer at a very young age.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:59 PM

565 posts, read 891,068 times
Default Milw05

For the most part the rest of the state could care less about Milwaukee. It would not bother me at all if Milwaukee became a state with Chicago and parts of Indiana.
I never fully understood why Milwaukeans bad month Chicago, when people from out state Wisconsin will refer to Milwaukee as a dump, ghetto, not really part of Wisconsin and so on. If anything folks from Chicago will say many positive things concerning Milwaukee. Far more than the rest of Wisconsin.
Madison will bad mouth Milwaukee every chance it gets.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:15 PM

I have been telling this to people for the last 5yrs that Milwaukee is no longer as bad as it used to be. However there is always room for improvement. I still meet people especially in Madison that tell me that murders happen every night in Milwaukee and it's worse than Chicago. I get sick of trying to dispute facts to people who don't want to admit that Milwaukee has made a turn around. When I tell people that Milwaukee is no longer listed in the top 25 most dangerous cities, they flat out think I'm lying! This is another of one of my beefs about people from the rest of the state that have never been to Milwaukee or people that went to one bucks game back in 1995.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:17 PM

Milwaukee area a ghetto dump? that's why the most affluent areas in the state are all Milwaukee suburbs? and one of the most wealthiest counties in the nation is Ozaukee County Milwaukee's suburbs to the north. I get the feeling you have never been to Milwaukee and ALL of it's parts. There is a reason 2 million people live in the area.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:30 PM

565 posts, read 891,068 times
Milwaukee City I don't see Milwaukee as a ghetto or dump. I think you misunderstood me. I believe that is how many people in Wisconsin view Milwaukee. I have lived in the city of Milwaukee since 1991 and I think its a very underrated town. Many in Wisconsin judge Milwaukee by its worst aspects and overlook all the great things it has to offer. It's as if they don't want to give the city a chance and by beating it down somehow it makes them feel better about where they live. This holds true in Madison more than the rest of the state.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:34 PM

I stand corrected!

Old 04-03-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
Milwaukee City I don't see Milwaukee as a ghetto or dump. I think you misunderstood me. I believe that is how many people in Wisconsin view Milwaukee. I have lived in the city of Milwaukee since 1991 and I think its a very underrated town. Many in Wisconsin judge Milwaukee by its worst aspects and overlook all the great things it has to offer. It's as if they don't want to give the city a chance and by beating it down somehow it makes them feel better about where they live. This holds true in Madison more than the rest of the state.
I agree completely

Old 04-03-2009, 10:27 PM

10,483 posts, read 9,149,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Why should we Milwaukeeans give a damn about the rest of the state, when they could care less about us? I grew up in the Fox Valley and I frequently ran across people who had never set foot in Milwaukee County in their entire lives. I couldn't believe it. That means they have never been to a museum, concert hall, zoo, planetarium, live theater, the state fair, Summerfest, Brewers games, Bucks games, or anything else remotely cultural. I guess I was just fortunate to have my dad's side of the family located down here, which allowed me to experience much of what Milwaukee had to offer at a very young age.
While I don't agree w/your statement about not caring about the rest of the state, I will agree about people who have never been to Milwaukee. I've talked to people up north who have NEVER been to Milwaukee, EVER. And I'm talking people in their 20's & 30's. I find that a bit strange....although, to be fair, there are people who have never been up north to their neck of the woods & I'm sure those people up there find it strange that there are those who've never experienced the "up north" ways of life. I'm just glad that I know both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee