U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 10:40 PM

118 posts, read 376,711 times

Advertisements

Spot-on about the grocery stores. I was in this situation just the other night and had to go way on the South Side to the Pick & Save on Holt in Bay View.

Also: another reason to dislike this store: you have to bag your own groceries there. That might feed into the problem I see there with long lines at the checkout.

This doesn't make sense in so many ways. The store is big enough to be 24-hr but not big enough to have baggers?

About the roadways: This is just another way the government is trying to be cheap. If you had these guys out on third shift, they way they SHOULD do it, they would have to pay them extra for working 3rd. So they have them doing this stuff at weird hours.

I saw a street sweeper out at 9:30 am the other day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 12:01 AM

7,606 posts, read 18,684,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC3700 View Post
Spot-on about the grocery stores. I was in this situation just the other night and had to go way on the South Side to the Pick & Save on Holt in Bay View.

Also: another reason to dislike this store: you have to bag your own groceries there. That might feed into the problem I see there with long lines at the checkout.

This doesn't make sense in so many ways. The store is big enough to be 24-hr but not big enough to have baggers?

About the roadways: This is just another way the government is trying to be cheap. If you had these guys out on third shift, they way they SHOULD do it, they would have to pay them extra for working 3rd. So they have them doing this stuff at weird hours.

I saw a street sweeper out at 9:30 am the other day.
KC, I don't know if you noticed that menards pulled ALL bagegers from it's operation. Seems to me that Pick N Save has done the same. I have always wanted to call the night manger and scream at him b/c even at 130am at that PS it can be packed b/c their isn't another one even close.

About the roadways: whatever happened to taking pride in doing things that none else would do?

Old 09-26-2009, 09:01 AM

2,945 posts, read 3,907,615 times
I concur about the grocery store thing. Walmart on S 27th, Woodman's in Oak Creek, and Pick N Save in Bay View are the only options for grocery shopping after 11pm. For as big of a city as this is I find that ridiculous. Even in Appleton, where I grew up, they have 2 24-hour Walmarts, 2 24-hour Festival Foods, 2 24-hour Walgreen's, and 1 24-hour Copp's, and they only have 80,000 people! If I were to include Neenah and Oshkosh, they'd have even more.

I understand that crime used to be much worse in Milwaukee, but that's not the case anymore. The Walmart on Capitol or Midtown Center should be 24-hours and the Pick N Save on North Ave should also be 24-hours with all the students who live nearby.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:55 AM

1,997 posts, read 3,931,553 times
I also find it puzzling. The Pick-n-Save in Germantown used to be 24-hours, but when the economy flopped, that ended. I don't think there are any 24-hour groceries in north Milwakee Co. and southern Oz/Wash anymore.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:37 AM

1,997 posts, read 3,931,553 times
Out of curiosity I checked the Pick-n-Save website info, and these are the Milwaukee-area PNS open 24 hours:

Brookfield: 12735 W. Capitol
Greenfield: 4200 S. 76th
Milwaukee: 250 W. Holt
Milwaukee: 7830 Good Hope Rd.
West Allis: 6760 W. National Ave.
West Allis: 2625 S. 108th St.

The Good Hope Rd. is the closest to me, about 12 miles away, and is the only grocery for the north Milwaukee/OzWash crowd. The Brookfield location is the only location for the western burbs, including Waukesha! And the other four locations serve various parts of south Milwaukee and south Milwaukee County.

It's still perplexing that there is no 24-hour grocery, PNS or otherwise, for the East Side and near North Shore area.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:16 PM

10,479 posts, read 13,381,549 times
KC, that's funny that you mentioned the baggers at Pik-n-Save. I was JUST there last night around say 6:30 or so & there were no baggers. Usually, I do the self-check out because it's quicker but I had more items than usual & thought it would be rude. So, I get in line. There's an older woman two people in front of me, then a guy. I was totallly checked out & the older woman was still bagging. I felt bad for her. So I said to the checker "Did you guys get rid of all the baggers?" and she said "A couple called in today"....hmmm. I should've done the right thing & helped the woman bag the rest of her stuff but I was too focused on getting out of that store (the pick n save on chase....I HATE HATE HATE HATE that one).

Old 09-26-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
KC, I don't know if you noticed that menards pulled ALL bagegers from it's operation. Seems to me that Pick N Save has done the same. I have always wanted to call the night manger and scream at him b/c even at 130am at that PS it can be packed b/c their isn't another one even close.
I hadn't been at a Menard's for a minute. That is a pretty annoying thing for a store like that, with all those big/bulky items.

Theres still Pick & Saves with baggers though. 100 E Garfield has baggers. Oakland has baggers. Metro Mart has baggers. I'm not sure about 35th & North anymore, but I think they do. It depends on the location I guess.

[quote=Milwaukee City;10926983About the roadways: whatever happened to taking pride in doing things that none else would do?[/QUOTE]That died when our pop culture icons started glamorizing pimping and started dissing honest ways to make money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
I concur about the grocery store thing. Walmart on S 27th, Woodman's in Oak Creek, and Pick N Save in Bay View are the only options for grocery shopping after 11pm. For as big of a city as this is I find that ridiculous. Even in Appleton, where I grew up, they have 2 24-hour Walmarts, 2 24-hour Festival Foods, 2 24-hour Walgreen's, and 1 24-hour Copp's, and they only have 80,000 people! If I were to include Neenah and Oshkosh, they'd have even more.

I understand that crime used to be much worse in Milwaukee, but that's not the case anymore.
The perception is there though, and that's what has been bugging on these business owners. The area might be safe, but there is a perception among people that it isn't. This is what killed Northridge and was a contributing factor in the demise of the original Capitol Court.

Quote:
The Walmart on Capitol or Midtown Center should be 24-hours and the Pick N Save on North Ave should also be 24-hours with all the students who live nearby.
Agredd 100%.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:

I understand that crime used to be much worse in Milwaukee, but that's not the case anymore. The Walmart on Capitol or Midtown Center should be 24-hours and the Pick N Save on North Ave should also be 24-hours with all the students who live nearby.
Oh man, don't EVEN get me started about the Walgreens one block away from me in Bayview that is only open until 9:00 p.m. I'm an east side girl, the Walgreens on Brady is 24-hours. Oh man do I miss that.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Oh man, don't EVEN get me started about the Walgreens one block away from me in Bayview that is only open until 9:00 p.m. I'm an east side girl, the Walgreens on Brady is 24-hours. Oh man do I miss that.
Are you talking about that one on KK & Oklahoma?

Old 09-26-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC3700 View Post
Are you talking about that one on KK & Oklahoma?
The very same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee