Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:10 PM

4 posts, read 11,787 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to Milwaukee from St. Louis, originally from Los Angeles. We would like information about things to do with kids. How bad the winters are and how long?

Are the bugs as bad as they are in St. Louis? How about allergies, St. Louis is horrid. Is it the same there?

We would like to live in a Jewish neighboorhood. Are there any recommendations? My husband will be working in Waukesha. How bad is the racism in Milwaukee?

We will visit this weekend and we need some info to make or break our decision.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 12:23 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,226,942 times
We are considering relocating to Milwaukee from St. Louis, originally from Los Angeles. We would like information about things to do with kids. How bad the winters are and how long?

-To me, Winters are Dec-Mar, with suckiness extending on and off into April and a few frustrating days in May. Winters are much colder than you have experienced before in LA/ StL.

Are the bugs as bad as they are in St. Louis? How about allergies, St. Louis is horrid. Is it the same there?
-Bugs are not as bad (thanks winter), but depending on your allergies it could be bad here...not sure.
We would like to live in a Jewish neighboorhood. Are there any recommendations? My husband will be working in Waukesha. How bad is the racism in Milwaukee?
-Mke is segregated, but I would expect you will not experience racism. Whitefish Bay is fairly Jewish, although he will prob have about a 40 minute drive to work, depending on where exactly you are. I can't think of a Jewish community in Waukesha, although there are jewish people and temples there.

Last, a fav topic of mine, things to do with kids (mine are small):
Inside: Betty Brinn, Discovery World, Natural History Museum, The Domes
Outside: zoo, lakefront, summer festivals, Brewer game, the many lakes & parks that are not on Lake Michigan

Old 05-21-2009, 01:56 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,990,614 times
The Jewish area of Milwaukee consists of two parts.
1) The area around 51st and Keefe on the near Northwest side. The Jews in this neighborhood are very religious and follow Orthodox customs. They appear to be insular and tight knit. A growing Jewish private school is in the neighborhood. The other Orthodox Jewish neighborhood is located on the upper eastside of Milwaukee in the vicinity of Kenwood and Lake Dr. Again, many Orthodox Jews who follow the customs, such as long black coats, top hats, girls in long dresses etc..

2) The area known as the North Shore. The North Shore goes from Shorewood on the far south to Mequon on the far North. It is a long area which boarders the city of Milwaukee to the west. Many secular and successful Jewish people live in this area. They are mixed in with non Jews. Jews make up around 20% of the North Shore population.

West towards Waukesha. Forget it.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:39 PM

Thank you very much.

The North Shore area sound more like where we are as far as Judaism. We are more reform.

FYI, allergies are so bad here in St. Louis, that the news and freeways (LA way of saying Hwy which I never understood, is it the same there too? or is it called something else?) have color coded allergy season orange being the worst day to go out and if you do don't forget your meds!

Thank you for the info I appreciate it. I also have small kids, 6 and 4.

Oh and also, one more thing, how are the freeways called, for example, here in st louis you would say you take the 270 s or n, in LA you would say take the 10 Santa Monica, every where is so confusing with their verbage. LOL

In Philly, it was exit # so and so, when it was really to enter. That was really bad I'd miss the entrance each time thinking it was an exit! LOL Anyways thank you for reading my post and have a great weekend!

Old 05-21-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommies2 View Post
Oh and also, one more thing, how are the freeways called, for example, here in st louis you would say you take the 270 s or n, in LA you would say take the 10 Santa Monica, every where is so confusing with their verbage. LOL

In Philly, it was exit # so and so, when it was really to enter. That was really bad I'd miss the entrance each time thinking it was an exit! LOL Anyways thank you for reading my post and have a great weekend!
It will be easier here than in LA. Where LA has the 105, 405, 110, 5, etc., we have the 94, 894, & 43 for the vast majority of your freeway/interstate time (I think you could say Hwy or freeway and everyone would know what you are talking about--but just say the #).

Exits: Normally, I say "exit on Hawley Rd," instead of the exit #. One issue, when you get into western Waukesha County the exit might say the state Hwy name...like F, TT, 164, etc. So, someone could say, "exit at F"...

I guess everywhere it is somewhat confusing.

Good Luck!

Old 05-21-2009, 04:45 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,779,795 times
I've always called hwy's by their numbers, and that's been the case for me in Stl, Mil, L.A.

Where in St. Louis did you live? And, did you like the area in which you lived, or if not, where would have you liked to live there?

Old 05-21-2009, 04:48 PM

One more thing, I was thinking about freeway vs Highway. Not sure, but maybe we say freeway to differentiate Interstates from state highways that run all over the place as you get out of the city.

Okay, I just checked wikipedia to see if they talk about freeway, here you go:

Freeway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-21-2009, 06:24 PM

We live in Creve Coeur. We really like the neigborhood. It's beautiful with the trees. The people are mixed which is great b/c we want our kids to grow up with diversity. There is a great number of jewish people who live here. BUT and this is a big BUT some are very very snobbish which I can't STAND.

The funniest thing about St. Louis is if you from here you get asked "what high school did you go to?" why? b/c it's their way of social classing you. Which is so wrong. Basically, if you stay west of downtown St. Louis your in great shape. I wouldn't walk downtown alone at night. During the day is filled with tourists so your ok.

North St. Louis is sketchy too, some pockets are ok but I wouldn't live there. South St. Louis is nice smaller homes like 1200 sq ft for 250k .

And for the record East St. Louis is not St. Louis, it's part of Illinois. That place is SOOOOOOOO scary. We got lost once from the apple picking farm and got lost during the day. run down buildings, vacant spray paint, reminded me of Compton or Watts but worse way worse. A place you wouldn't stop to ask for directions.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:00 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,779,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommies2 View Post
We live in Creve Coeur. We really like the neigborhood. It's beautiful with the trees. The people are mixed which is great b/c we want our kids to grow up with diversity. There is a great number of jewish people who live here. BUT and this is a big BUT some are very very snobbish which I can't STAND.

The funniest thing about St. Louis is if you from here you get asked "what high school did you go to?" why? b/c it's their way of social classing you. Which is so wrong. Basically, if you stay west of downtown St. Louis your in great shape. I wouldn't walk downtown alone at night. During the day is filled with tourists so your ok.

North St. Louis is sketchy too, some pockets are ok but I wouldn't live there. South St. Louis is nice smaller homes like 1200 sq ft for 250k .

And for the record East St. Louis is not St. Louis, it's part of Illinois. That place is SOOOOOOOO scary. We got lost once from the apple picking farm and got lost during the day. run down buildings, vacant spray paint, reminded me of Compton or Watts but worse way worse. A place you wouldn't stop to ask for directions.
How do I put this in kind? I don't really agree with some of your comments in your post.

There is currently a 131 reply thread on the St. Louis board regarding the high school question. The reasons for it are far more diverse than your sweeping across the board generalization. A lot of people gave a lot of different answers as to why they do it or why it exists. I don't get interested in the question at all, but I respect that the reasons for it are far and wide, and many have the best of intentions, though of course, not all.

Your experience is the West County bubble. That's a shame. There are a lot of great things in the city, and in other part of St. Louis and the Metro East. You are not alone. See, what you just did was what you do not like people to do in regards to the high school question. You made a sweeping generalization that doesn't apply across the board.

I don't encourage anyone to walk alone at night in urban areas, especially females, but St. Louis' downtown area is safe, and I've walked it alone countless times. I would be curious to know how often you spend your time in the city at night walking the streets, not just for driving in and out to Creve Coeur. Downtown St. Louis is alive and well.

You are labeling St. Louis all across the board based on your limited perception of limited areas.

How often have you spent time in Compton and/or Watts? Just curious. East St. Louis has a lot of crime, as does North St. Louis City, as well as depressed aesthetics. They both have some very high crime areas after dark, and I'd avoid those areas myself. That's any city USA. Here's a tip, parts of Milwaukee's near North side of the city and NW sides of the city have a great deal of crime as well. If you pass through Chicago on your way, parts of the West side of Chicago as well as parts of the South sides of the city are similar to the above described examples.

My advice to you is to live in the North Shore burbs. I'm uncertain which part of Creve Coeur in which you currently live. Do you live near Olive Street? Do you live near Lindbergh? Do you live near Mason road and Ladue Road before it becomes Town & Country? etc...

Based on your background and interests, I'd recommend the North Shore of Milwaukee. You will likely be interested in the Eastern parts of Shorewood, Whitefish Bay, as well as Mequon, based on your posts.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:39 AM

Based on what I have been told by a person from St. Louis, is the answer I was given. So I was not generalizing just repeating what I was told by someone is from here. If I offended you I'm sorry.

And yes I've been downtown st. louis countless times even at night walking with family. I myself in my opinion don't find it safe if your not in the "touristy" parts of town.

I'm not labeling St. Louis. I have lived here before and loved it. circumstances beyond our controll had us move back to LA. When we had the opportunity to move back we jumped at the chance. Now, we have to move again b/c of the job situation yet again. I love st. louis don't get me wrong. There are sooo many things to do here, you would never get bored.

I have spent quiet a bit in Inglewood/Compton area. I went to Reseda High if you know where that is. I've seen racisim first hand and made a differance in one community in which I lived. I refuse for my children to be raised that way.

In some of the threads I've read and from what I was told by someone in Milwaukee, it is very segragated which is a shame. Is this true? Why is that?

We live 270 and olive, whispering pines area. If I've offended you now or in my previous post I apologize it was not my intention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee