U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Is Milwaukee A Dangerous City?
No/Nie 92 67.15%
Yes/Tak 45 32.85%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-17-2014, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
1,423 posts, read 1,199,272 times
Reputation: 1701

Advertisements

That's what people in Milwaukee do... they have to break it down into the TINY little areas left that you won't get murdered, raped, burglarized, assaulted... because the city OVERALL is horrible with crime.

Look at the title of this forum... it is, "Is Milwaukee a Dangerous City?" ... it doesn't say, "pick out your favorite neighborhoods, try to reference them while ignoring the fact that the rest of the city brings the ENTIRE city down so far that the WHOLE city ranks at the bottom of the barrel in crime statistics"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-17-2014, 01:45 PM
 
11,997 posts, read 5,568,974 times
Reputation: 13551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
That's what people in Milwaukee do... they have to break it down into the TINY little areas left that you won't get murdered, raped, burglarized, assaulted... because the city OVERALL is horrible with crime.

Look at the title of this forum... it is, "Is Milwaukee a Dangerous City?" ... it doesn't say, "pick out your favorite neighborhoods, try to reference them while ignoring the fact that the rest of the city brings the ENTIRE city down so far that the WHOLE city ranks at the bottom of the barrel in crime statistics"
And I told you it was one area that had the most crime congregated. If you don't understand that & don't understand that that is the norm for all cities that's your problem, not mine.

By the way, where did you live & when did you move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2014, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
1,423 posts, read 1,199,272 times
Reputation: 1701
I bounced around up there.

Born and raised near County Stadium, then moved over towards State Fair for a while... moved up to Appleton for a year, which was really, really nice. Had an apartment there on the Fox River two blocks from College Ave by all the bars. Really nice up there.
After that, I came back down to Milwaukee - western part of Greenfield more specifically. Lease was up and moved in with future wife by St. Mary's hospital on the east side.
Lease was up there and we moved to a one year old complex in West Allis... Best apartment either of us had... neighborhood was kinda weak.
Bought a home in Greendale after that - great area. Park like. If we had kids, that would have been my ideal spot in the Milwaukee area, without a doubt.
Had the house for two years, we got sick of a lot of things in the state we were both born and raised in, decided to move where we would make more money, be able to keep more of that money, have a bigger house for less and be able to actually go outside in winter months and be surrounded by National Parks.
Our move happened in July of 2013.
We fell in love with the southwest because of the amount of enjoyable days per year you get. NV and AZ both have huge incentives for being a homeowner, but we had to remain in a major city because of my wife's line of work. So that left places like Phoenix, Tuscon, ABQ and Vegas.

So we had a little bit of everything in our time in Wisconsin. I was born and raised there... had that time in Appleton as well as spending a lot of time in Marinette county. Wife was born and raised in Madison and moved to Milwaukee for school.

Don't get me wrong... there are a heck of a lot of things I like about Wisconsin... there's a reason I stayed as long as I kid.
Great sports state, lots of greenery, lake and rivers everywhere, a ridiculous amount of parks, car shows all over the city in the summertime, easy to find a job...

I would actually go as far as saying I'm glad I was born and raised in Milwaukee rather than Vegas... but as an adult, it has flip flopped for me, given all the benefits I'm rewarded with for living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2014, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Bay View, Milwaukee
2,069 posts, read 3,993,900 times
Reputation: 2481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Having a freeway system that actually works and isn't under constant construction really sucks.
Being surrounded by mountains, hiking, state AND national parks really sucks.
Not having a state income tax really sucks.
Having 40 million visitors a year paying my taxes for me really sucks.
Drawing conventions and expos from companies located all over the world to Vegas really sucks.
Getting more square feet per dollar spent on homes really sucks.

We have a brand new performing arts center, some of the best live theater acts in the world (seven days a week), stand up comedians every weekend, title fights, a new arena going up (which is 100% privately funded, unlike what happens in Milwaukee), endless dining options, multiple premium outlet malls (within the city, unlike having to drive down to Kenosha for POMs)... Vegas clearly has more to offer and charges it's citizens a fraction of what Milwaukee does for entertainment and quality of life.

Retirees move here because it is safer, has a better climate, there is far more to do, home prices are lower, it is easier to maintain a home here (no shoveling, grass cutting, houses are new and not falling apart), the state doesn't take all their money, there are large master-planned senior living areas... Many reasons.
You're not much for sarcasm, are you? Of course Vegas has culture and other goodies. But I and others happen to prefer what places like Milwaukee have.

Quote:
I can comment on both cities because I have lived in both. I think that's fair.
I thought you said you lived in West Allis? In any case, I've met many suburbanites and some city-dwelling suburban wannabes who've never actually gotten to know the city. You may have lived in the Milwaukee area for a while, but you're clueless about the city. It's your loss.

Quote:
Have you lived in Vegas? It seems you know very little about it. We get that a lot here... People think it's a giant casino land.
I bet I know Vegas more thoroughly as a visitor than you do as a resident. That happens a lot--people "live" somewhere, but they never actually get to know the place. It seems you had the same experience in Milwaukee.

Quote:
My community is extremely safe actually. When my neighborhood was built up less than five years ago, it became the fastest selling master-planned community in the United States.
I'm sure your community is very safe. In fact, you're probably obsessive about safety--so much so, that you avoided getting to know Milwaukee when you lived in Wisconsin, and now you continue to live in a little bubble. There's nothing ultimately wrong with that, but it is what it is: your familiarity with your surroundings reflects your low tolerance for risk and fear. That isn't a very engaged relationship with your city, but to each his own.

Quote:
You mentioned North LV... We are also home to Henderson, which is consistently on the best cities to live in list. Pretty sure Shorewood, Whitefish Bay or Bay View aren't on there.
Oh, it's on a list? It must be good. I always let other people decide for me what the best places to live are.

Quote:
So yes... To each their own... But consistent population growth of residents and 40 million visitors per year says it all. If Milwaukee was more interesting, it would actually attract substantial amounts of visitors.
No-- if Milwaukee were more popular, it would attract more visitors. Vegas, Branson, and Disneyworld attract more visitors each year than Milwaukee, but Milwaukee is more interesting than these places. It's a subjective judgment, though. If you think casinos, Wayne Newton, and Mickey Mouse are highly interesting, that's your prerogative. But for culture, history, diversity of things to do, etc., a lot of less popular places are more interesting. The fact that you don't even consider these things to be assets shows that your familiarity with Milwaukee is lacking.

Quote:
Maybe we could make a poll of which city is more interesting in a neutral forum and see what happens?
No doubt, Vegas would win a popularity contest, especially since, as you point out, more people are likely to have been to Vegas than to Milwaukee (how neutral would that be?). But Applebee's and Perkin's would win a restaurant poll over independent places with better food, and Walmart would win out over independent and quirky retailers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2014, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Bay View, Milwaukee
2,069 posts, read 3,993,900 times
Reputation: 2481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
That's what people in Milwaukee do... they have to break it down into the TINY little areas left that you won't get murdered, raped, burglarized, assaulted... because the city OVERALL is horrible with crime.

Look at the title of this forum... it is, "Is Milwaukee a Dangerous City?" ... it doesn't say, "pick out your favorite neighborhoods, try to reference them while ignoring the fact that the rest of the city brings the ENTIRE city down so far that the WHOLE city ranks at the bottom of the barrel in crime statistics"
Or: Pick out the worst neighborhoods, obsess about them while ignoring the fact that significant parts of the rest of the city are doing well and are helping the city develop.

You may have lived in the Milwaukee area, but you never got to know the city. What a shame. But I know quite a few people like you in that regard-- people who think they'll get mugged once they go east of the Waukesha-Milwaukee county line, people who think they'll get shot if they travel south of Silver Spring. It must be burdensome to live with so much fear. No wonder you're in a gated community within a city that you seem to consider safer than Milwaukee. Is there a moat around your house, too?

By the way, there are quite a few threads in the LV forum about how dangerous the city is. Vegas must e a really horrible and unsafe place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2014, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Bay View, Milwaukee
2,069 posts, read 3,993,900 times
Reputation: 2481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
I bounced around up there.

Born and raised near County Stadium, then moved over towards State Fair for a while... moved up to Appleton for a year, which was really, really nice. Had an apartment there on the Fox River two blocks from College Ave by all the bars. Really nice up there.
After that, I came back down to Milwaukee - western part of Greenfield more specifically. Lease was up and moved in with future wife by St. Mary's hospital on the east side.
Lease was up there and we moved to a one year old complex in West Allis... Best apartment either of us had... neighborhood was kinda weak.
Bought a home in Greendale after that - great area. Park like. If we had kids, that would have been my ideal spot in the Milwaukee area, without a doubt.
Had the house for two years, we got sick of a lot of things in the state we were both born and raised in, decided to move where we would make more money, be able to keep more of that money, have a bigger house for less and be able to actually go outside in winter months and be surrounded by National Parks.
Our move happened in July of 2013.
We fell in love with the southwest because of the amount of enjoyable days per year you get. NV and AZ both have huge incentives for being a homeowner, but we had to remain in a major city because of my wife's line of work. So that left places like Phoenix, Tuscon, ABQ and Vegas.

So we had a little bit of everything in our time in Wisconsin. I was born and raised there... had that time in Appleton as well as spending a lot of time in Marinette county. Wife was born and raised in Madison and moved to Milwaukee for school.

Don't get me wrong... there are a heck of a lot of things I like about Wisconsin... there's a reason I stayed as long as I kid.
Great sports state, lots of greenery, lake and rivers everywhere, a ridiculous amount of parks, car shows all over the city in the summertime, easy to find a job...

I would actually go as far as saying I'm glad I was born and raised in Milwaukee rather than Vegas... but as an adult, it has flip flopped for me, given all the benefits I'm rewarded with for living here.
And now you come to this forum to trash the place, incite fear, manifest paranoia, and drag the city down even more. Congratulations. What an ambassador for the city that you barely ever really lived in, and that you never bothered to explore and appreciate for real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2014, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
868 posts, read 1,591,306 times
Reputation: 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
And now you come to this forum to trash the place, incite fear, manifest paranoia, and drag the city down even more. Congratulations. What an ambassador for the city that you barely ever really lived in, and that you never bothered to explore and appreciate for real.
You are absolutely correct. My take on reading his post is that of being almost in a complete haze when it comes to anything north of I94. He seems to be a sheltered myopic south sider. No offense to the south side, but after living in Milwaukee I've come across plenty of south siders who couldn't find Capitol Dr if they had a map and he is for the most part a suburban south siders, they are the worst. The idea that Wauwatosa has ghettos or Shorewood and Whitefish Bay shelter each other from the invading hord is completely laughable. I'm in Shorewood and Whitefish Bay daily and they are as professional, white collar, upscale and safe as anywhere in the state. What a joke.

His obsession with safety is very apparent. Living in a gated community as if this is the middle ages and he needs protection from the scary world outside of his walls and gates. What a terrible mentality to live with. I'm glad he enjoys Vegas, more power to him, but having to tear down Milwaukee to build up his new home is weak.

Vegas has problems, just like Milwaukee. Google Lake Mead is drying up. Think we have problems? I'm not going to take my time to trash his new home. Any city can be trashed if that is what someone wants to do. You can gather plenty of info on the internet to make an argument for anything, but why in the world would someone take their time to bash their former hometown, he doesn't even live here anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2014, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
1,423 posts, read 1,199,272 times
Reputation: 1701
If you know so much about Vegas, you would know there is more to it than you portray. Again with the casinos... You are too funny.

Did you read the part about me living on the east side of Milwaukee? Because all I see is your suburb-bashing nonsense.

Let me make it more clear...
Areas of residence in Wisconsin:
Milwaukee (west), West Allis, Greenfield, Greendale, Milwaukee (east), Appleton, Marinette County.

So I have lived in it... Quite a bit and all over. I experienced it, just doesn't mean I have to like the experiences Milwaukee offers... And yes... When people come on the Wisconsin or Milwaukee forum, I have a right to voice an opinion. There are great things about Milwaukee and really bad things... I prefer not to sugarcoat the city into a glorious candy land.

Like I said, there are many things I like about living there (some of which I listed), but you can obviously only focus on the negative so I won't repeat myself.

Again, you assume things about me you don't know... You say i never got to know the city. Nice assumption. I lived in Milwaukee and truly experienced it from many different perspectives. I lived urban. I lived rural. I went to concerts, sporting events, museums, dive bars, festivals... You name it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2014, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Bay View, Milwaukee
2,069 posts, read 3,993,900 times
Reputation: 2481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
If you know so much about Vegas, you would know there is more to it than you portray. Again with the casinos... You are too funny.
You never got the part about me being sarcastic. Actually, I grew up on the west coast and spent at least two weeks (sometimes three, and one time four) every year with my family in Vegas until I went to college. After that, I've returned numerous times for conferences and other job-related activities. I not only know the city well (I've enjoyed exploring cities since I was a teen), but got to see it grow and develop. It really isn't a bad place--most places aren't. But it is not what I would consider a "real" city....yet. It needs more time, more history, more depth of architecture and infrastructure. It lacks in terms of walkable neighborhoods and vibrant cultural districts. But yes, there are some good things there. The restaurant scene has evolved nicely over the years, including lower-priced ethnic places. There are people in Vegas who are trying to create walkable neighborhoods and cultural areas outside of the Strip. But it isn't there.... yet. Or maybe never will be. It's a car-dependent city with little character, for the most part. The cookie-cutter mentality predominates, but at least there are glimmers of hope. It's a very popular city, but alas for me, not very interesting. I'm glad you like it.

Quote:
Did you read the part about me living on the east side of Milwaukee? Because all I see is your suburb-bashing nonsense.
Yes, your body existed within the city limits for a small period of time. You were a visitor, essentially, while you "lived" in Milwaukee.

And by the way, I think there are plenty of good things about suburbs.... or some suburbs, at least. What I bash is the stereotypical suburban mentality of fear and paranoia about the city. It's a fine distinction, but you can handle it.

Quote:
Let me make it more clear...
Areas of residence in Wisconsin:
Milwaukee (west), West Allis, Greenfield, Greendale, Milwaukee (east), Appleton, Marinette County.

So I have lived in it... Quite a bit and all over. I experienced it, just doesn't mean I have to like the experiences Milwaukee offers...
No, you didn't really get to know the city. You let your bias and fear get in the way, and it shows.

Quote:
And yes... When people come on the Wisconsin or Milwaukee forum, I have a right to voice an opinion.
Of course, and others have the right to call you out if you're mistaken.

Quote:
There are great things about Milwaukee and really bad things... I prefer not to sugarcoat the city into a glorious candy land.
I wouldn't do that either. But it is reckless and ignorant to say that the city is unsafe when data prove otherwise, and when the very data you supply don't back your claims. Like Allan Trafton has said, it seems--for some reason-- like you really want the city to be unsafe (or perceived as such). Maybe it makes you feel better about leaving Wisconsin, or maybe it makes you think you made the right choice in moving to Las Vegas. Perhaps you think those of us living in the city will get religion, sell our houses, and move away. Only you know why you have become so evangelical about badmouthing Milwaukee. If only that energy could be put to some positive use somewhere.... maybe in your own community?

Quote:
Like I said, there are many things I like about living there (some of which I listed), but you can obviously only focus on the negative so I won't repeat myself.

Again, you assume things about me you don't know... You say i never got to know the city. Nice assumption. I lived in Milwaukee and truly experienced it from many different perspectives. I lived urban. I lived rural. I went to concerts, sporting events, museums, dive bars, festivals... You name it.
You got to know concerts, sporting events, museums, dive bars, and festivals. Which neighborhoods did you walk around in? How many people in these places did you talk with? How many times per week did you walk around the 35th and National area? Did you ever walk around the Harambee area? Garfield and MLK? Take a walk in Washington Park? These to you would be "unsafe" areas, and I grant you that lots of crap happens in those areas, but at least in the daytime (and often at night) they are fine. You consider Milwaukee "unsafe" because of statistics, media, and word of mouth, not because you had any substantial experience with the city itself.

Of course, there are some areas in the city where I wouldn't walk around at night, and a couple where I wouldn't be caught during the day, but for the most part, in terms of safety, most of the city is fine, and much of it is even better than that. These are not tiny areas, either, though the safest parts do tend to create a perimeter or circle around the rough parts. But people react in different ways. It seems that your way of dealing with the city is through insularity and fear. Whenever I can, I try to transcend both and engage with the unknown. Perhaps it helps that I speak Spanish (my west coast background kicks in) and have street smarts. Whatever the case may be, even though you say you've done a lot in Milwaukee, you apparently never crossed an important line forcing you to get to know areas that look unsafe but really aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2014, 09:47 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
1,423 posts, read 1,199,272 times
Reputation: 1701
Still don't know how I'm mistaken about Milwaukee crime... Did you see the numbers? How can you say data proves otherwise...

I had a band practice space down on National ave... I think it was third or second street - can't remember which. The big ugly blue Select Sound Source building. I would go down there at all hours of the day and night to play... So that's one example of being in a not so great area constantly and not wanting to live in it lol. Fun fact, they have one of the world's largest microphone collections in there, including one Johnny Carson used!

I was also good buddies with a dude who worked at a fire station on Teutonia. Hum... God forsaken street if I've ever seen one. This doesn't really count though cause we would hang out at a place that no crime would committed at.

My grandmother was robbed at gunpoint off of 14th and Oklahoma before she got out of that trashy area... So no, I don't trust that area either and rightfully so!!
Perfect example of an area that was nice when I was a kid... Now? Hah... Forget it.

I went to the most ghetto high school in MPS. So bad, they actually closed it down. So that made me have a little bitterness towards Milwaukee as well. No kid should have to deal with the crap I did through high school.

Totally agree with you that Vegas is a car dependent city... Dear god, not having a car here would blow. The valley is big and getting bigger... Plus when those 112 degree days come, a little AC is a lifesaver.
My biggest complaint about Vegas has to be the drivers. I used to think FIBS - I mean... Well you know lol... Were bad. Nope. It's Vegas. You've got people driving here from all over the country and people renting cars from God knows what country. Add 9000 cab drivers (most of which are maniacs or should have retired 20 years ago) and it's a recipe for disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:51 AM.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top