Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,331 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know of a Garden Center near Mequon where I can get some Landscaping Trees - without draining our bank account?

We built a house in Mequon and it doesn't have any trees around it and I would like a little Privacy.

I went to Steins and they seemed really pricey does anybody know anyplace that is a little cheaper? I'm kind of on a budget - but still would like some larger trees, so I don't have to wait 10 year for some privacy.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 07:37 PM

204 posts, read 752,367 times
[Resisting the urge to make a snarky comments about barren lots & privacy or building in Mequon & living on a budget...]

Maybe Minor's at 76th & Calumet in Milwaukee would have something more along the lines of what you're looking for? I honestly have no idea where you would find more mature trees to plant in your yard that wouldn't cost a pretty penny, but hopefully you'll be able to find what you're looking for somewhere.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:43 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley-Mequon View Post
Does anybody know of a Garden Center near Mequon where I can get some Landscaping Trees - without draining our bank account?

We built a house in Mequon and it doesn't have any trees around it and I would like a little Privacy.

I went to Steins and they seemed really pricey does anybody know anyplace that is a little cheaper? I'm kind of on a budget - but still would like some larger trees, so I don't have to wait 10 year for some privacy.

Thanks in advance!
That's not going to happen. You pay for mature trees. Much more.

The only other options are Walmart and the home stores, but you won't find much privacy from the smaller trees that they have. Personally, I think (read: I know) you'd have better chances with the local Ozaukee County landscape contractors and/or nurseries. They usually have more room to play with in terms of price, and are less "corporate" about their pricing. However, when it comes to landscaping, nothing is cheap. You may, however, find that you can get better trees with a better guarantee, delivered, and planted for only a small amount more. And if you go that route and the trees don't make it, they'll come out and plant another one. If you cash-and-carry the trees, you do all the work, the first time, and anytime one dies. You save money, but not time and/or effort. It all depends what you're looking for.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:57 AM

158 posts, read 485,979 times
I would probably spend this year researching what would be best and making a landscape plan,
then early next spring order bare root trees from a local place, I got decent (2") maples delivered/planted for $100 a pop that way a few years back, but they don't grow that fast!
The first year or two they grow roots mostly anyway.
That place is out of business now.
Trees in pots, especially if they've been that way all summer just take a long time to recover once they're planted. B/B ( balled in burlap) are somewhat better.
If you buy in pots, just buy small ones and get going. They recover much more quickly than large potted trees.
Probably look for something north of Mequon that might be less expensive.
A local nursery can really help you by looking at your property and telling you what will grow quickly and still be nice. Sounds like you have all sun so you should get good growth!
Plus placement is key - deciduous on the south side of the house provide shade in summer but don't mess with sun in winter. And mature growth - what will they look like then? How close together should you plant them? How close to the house - don't want to mess with drainage!
Poplars are used a lot as quick growing wind/privacy screens but they aren't all that beautiful.
You can also use fast growing arbor vitae like hedge shrubs to provide temporary help while waiting for trees to do much. Evergreens provide great cover for birds!
You could also pay several thousand and get one good sized shade tree delivered from a place like trees on the move or Leid's.
And be sure to wrap them come fall! I lost two of my maples because bucks love nothing more than to scrape off all that soft silvery bark with their antlers...

Old 07-07-2009, 08:29 AM

3 posts, read 6,966 times
I did a search on Tree Nurseries in Milwaukee and came up with quite a few. I don't know if they will fit your budget. But will give you more of a selection than just Steins.

Minors Garden Center - "www.minorsgardencenter.com" - Milwaukee – Price list on Website
Hawks Nursery Company Inc - "www.hawksnursery.com" - Wauwatosa - No Price List
Tree Transplanters – "www.treetransplanters.org" – Not sure of the location “says they serve Milwaukee & Surrounding Counties – Price List on Website
Johnson’s Garden Center - "www.johnsonsgardens.net" – Cedarburg - No Price List
Trees for Less Nursery - www.treesforless.com - Mequon – Price list on Website

It seems like Tree Transplanters is the lowest cost and focuses only on larger trees, then Minors, but Trees for Less is right up in your neck of the woods.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:40 PM

2 posts, read 6,331 times
Thanks for the info! I guess I will have to fork out the $$$. To bad that place with the $100.00 maple trees is out of business. That seems like a really good price.

Tree Transplanters does seem a lot less than the others, I wish they carried the Maple Trees with the red leaves.

Anyways thanks for all the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee