Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 12:01 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,559,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee Jason View Post
I'm not even going to waste 1 more minute with you Milwaukee City. You're a complete idiot who needs to get a life. Based on the number of postings you have on here, you clearly don't have much going on. Maybe you should actually get out every now and then. Sitting in front of a computer trying to argue with people all the time shows just what a hopeless loser you really are. I hope you're having a good night at home pleasuring yourself as you sit in front of the computer trying to argue with people. And for the record, Milwaukee isn't even close to being a top-tier global city. Based on the fact that you even mention it in the same sentence as Detroit shows how pathetically behind the city is.
Oh I totally agree about our public transit system here, it sucks. And it doesn't help that we've got a yoyo of a county exec who obviously loathes public transit & wants people to be more reliant on their cars. However, I'm totally happy they pushed thru the bike racks on the buses. That is a major plus in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 02:50 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,310,833 times
Quote:
It's funny Milwaukee City.....the reason Milwaukee is so backwards and behind the times is because of too many people exactly like you. Sorry I speak the truth about how the city is sliding, but it needs to be said. A total lack of leadership is why the city is where it is. The leaders of Milwaukee must have failed to get the memo that we now operate in a globabl economy. If everything is going so well in Milwaukee, why is there little to no population growth not only the the city, but the entire metro area? Get a grip and wake up.
One could argue that attitudes such as yours unjustifiably make many people dislike fine cities such as Milwaukee.

It's not to say Mke is perfect and doesn't need some improvement, but it's not exacly a basketcase, either.

Perhaps instead of bashing Milwaukee from a Minneapolis perspective, you should bash Minneapolis from a San Francisco or Seattle or San Diego perspective? Why is Mpls so backward compared to those places?

Old 07-16-2009, 03:00 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,002,517 times
Quote:
I could go on and on for hours here, but a couple quick examples over the last few years.....Firstar and U.S. Bank merge and they move the corporate headquarters to Minneapolis, Miller and Coors merge and they move the corporate headquarters to Chicago, Metavante and Fidelity National Information Services merge and will be moving the corporate headquarters to Jacksonville. These are just a few examples why Fortune 1000 companies choose not to have their headquarters in Milwaukee. One of the main reasons for this is the pathetic public transporation system that Milwaukee has. If you, Milwaukee City or anyone else for that matter wants to argue that there's good public transportation in Milwaukee, you need your head examined, or you've never left the city of Milwaukee. Ridership on most big city public transporation systems is shooting through the roof, because of high gas prices, light rail lines getting built, etc., and Milwaukee is losing riders left and right. The system is so broken it's a complete embarassment. To think that when Northwestern Mutual has their annual conference of all the Financial Representatives coming into town they shuttle them back and worth on yellow school buses makes the city look flat out ridiculous. Would you like me to continue? Since you want to be such a wise guy, could you please give me examples of Fortune 1000 companies that merge with Milwaukee companies and decide to locate their combined headquarters here? Thanks in advance.
Major coporation are not making location decision based on mass transit with the exception on NYC, Chicago and maybe a few others. The majority of mass transit riders in the U.S. are either students or people that can't afford cars. Again, a few large cities are the exception. Milwaukee's mass transit is above average for a city of its size. Most mass transit sucks in the U.S. We don't have A)The critical mass/density of business,populations, entertainment,shopping etc for it to work B) Middle/Upper middle and upper class people don't want to be stuck next to undesirables for twenty minutes or longer C) No political will. The majority of upper management at corporations never or rarly step foot on mass transit or even care about it. When we hit peak oil and gas is over $10 a gallon, then mass transit will be a big deal.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee, WI View Post
I believe the city and older suburban areas are sort of what is being discussed. Its hard to use the entire Milwaukee county which contains an inner city but also sprawling places like Franklin. My question is what will become of Milwaukee once the homes, most built in the 50s, deteriorate. You can only maintain it so long before people decide they're better off buying a newer home. Even worse are entire blocks built in the 1800s where properties sell below $50,000.

How will any large metropolitan areas deal with long term declining tax revenues, business closings, bad roads, increasing crime, etc? Bulldozers? What sells are newer homes in quiet low-traffic neighborhoods with 2.5 bathrooms, attached 2.5 car garages, no nearby apartments, a big lawn, and plenty of space apart from the neighbors. Most of the homes here are aging, have busy "through" streets, detached 1 car garages, 1 small bathroom, are nearby affordable apartments, and are close together. Look at Milwaukee homes over 200k, they all meet that small list of criteria of what people want. The sprawling suburbs fight affordable housing and the tenants therefore are stuck renting in Milwaukee.

I cant see how the city can prevent losing people and money unless they raze entire neighborhoods and rebuild blocks into something people with money want (ex. Cherokee Point). It's simply out of room to build anything new. Where will Milwaukee be in 50 years? I think by then a majority of middle class residents minus city workers will have abandoned it for greener pastures. I dont want us to become Detroit but I dont see how we'll compete with places that have newer homes on quieter blocks.
Have you ever been to New York, Boston, San Fran, Washington, Chicago or the entire countinent of Europe. It is clear there is a market for dense urban living and if anything it is gaining strength. Most historic neighborhoods are so expensive that only the wealthy can afford them. Not everyone wants a new 2500 sq ft home on a half acre lot. This environment is not for everyone. This sounds like it was written in 1960. The time of urban renewal and the complete clearing of neighborhoods. This was the idea for the Park East area on the lower east side. Clear it out it and put a freeway through the middle of the lower east side. It's a slum anyways. Now look at it. Try reading Jane Jacobs, you may learn a few things.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:27 PM

24 posts, read 63,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
Have you ever been to New York, Boston, San Fran, Washington, Chicago or the entire countinent of Europe. It is clear there is a market for dense urban living and if anything it is gaining strength. Most historic neighborhoods are so expensive that only the wealthy can afford them. Not everyone wants a new 2500 sq ft home on a half acre lot. This environment is not for everyone. This sounds like it was written in 1960. The time of urban renewal and the complete clearing of neighborhoods. This was the idea for the Park East area on the lower east side. Clear it out it and put a freeway through the middle of the lower east side. It's a slum anyways. Now look at it. Try reading Jane Jacobs, you may learn a few things.
I'm all for what's best for the city, but Milwaukee isn't Boston, DC, or Chicago! I'm not sure what sort of epicenter you think the city is? The entire city of Milwaukee is dense urban living, but unlike what you say, the market is not for it outside of the east side/downtown. The historic neighborhood homes on 25th and Greenfield Ave built in 1890 are past the point of no return. There are a few hundred properties near the lake that are the city's historic cream of the crop, but the rest of the city is mostly mass produced older homes.

And while many (including me) prefer a diverse urban life in a high rise condo or apartment near where the fun is, those with families still dominate the burbs, or the city limits where city workers choose to raise families. How many cops and teachers, if polled, would stay in the city if they didn't have to, 20%? It may sound like a 1960s idea but people still want those big suburban-like lots on quiet blocks. What homes here sell for the most money that aren't right by the lake? Like it or not, people don't want to raise children on busy streets around undesireables in apartment complexes.

One major difference between us and DC, is that everyone clogs the expressway from Reston and Chantilly and all those other growing burbs on the way to work in Arlington and DC. You dont have ridiculous two hour commutes from the suburbs here, so there's no demand for urban living. In fact, most of those suburbs like Reston are growing because businesses are building there. The city of DC has fantastic wealth in a lot of spots, but go east of the National Mall and it quickly becomes a slum. One major similarity between us and those listed cities is white flight.

You want to tell me about the upcoming renaissance? Tell me when I can expect the renaissance on S 20th and Rodgers. For as much growth as there has been on the east side and 3rd ward, things are rapidly decaying in once upper middle class neighborhoods. Many many more parts of the city are dying than are parts being redeveloped. Property values are dropping fast, the quality of tenants are declining with dropping rents. The only way we could bring upper middle class people back home to the city would be to eliminate the expressway. Otherwise, the typical middle class mom and dad prefer to drive the 45 minutes home to Pewaukee where they have high performing schools, but not pounding stereos, sirens, or neighborhoods where english is spoken as a second language. No way will they take rail either until the commute gets worse. Not all believe diversity is strength.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:48 PM

I understand your concerns and you make good points, but this was done in the 60's and the results were terrible. Large areas of cities, such as Detriot, Chicago, Bronx, Milwaukee and many others were leveled and replaced with new everything. The neighborhoods are as bad or worse than before they were torn down. Turning the city into a suburb has never worked. Entire blocks of downtowns throughout the nation were leveled for suburban style buildings and parking. Look at the results. Empty dead space which surrond sterile buildings. Cities must build on their strengths. Cities that stayed true to their form are the ones which survived and grew.
A city will never be as good at being a suburb as a suburb can. With this being said, I understand your concern with blight. Times are changing, don't assume everything will be the way it was for the past 50 years. With growing populations, aging populations, smaller households, more immigrants and the increasing price of oil, energy and natural resources cities are positioned to come out ahead in the next 50 years. With China, India and the rest of the developing world sucking the global resources dry and driving our wages and standard of living into the ground living in a large home 20 miles from work is going to become more and more difficult. I would not want to be a home owner in exburb U.S.A. Cities are built to handle situations like we are going to see in the future much better.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 07-16-2009 at 06:58 PM..

Old 07-16-2009, 07:29 PM

24 posts, read 63,633 times
You forgot to mention water shortages!

Old 07-16-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee, WI View Post
You forgot to mention water shortages!
Your right, thanks for bringing this up. This may be Milwaukee's savior.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:39 PM

8,288 posts, read 23,096,556 times
Quote:
To think that when Northwestern Mutual has their annual conference of all the Financial Representatives coming into town they shuttle them back and worth on yellow school buses makes the city look flat out ridiculous. Would you like me to continue?

Wrong!!! Northwestern Mutual actually uses coach USA buses and badger coach buses.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:40 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,214 times
Quote:
I'm not even going to waste 1 more minute with you Milwaukee City. You're a complete idiot who needs to get a life. Based on the number of postings you have on here, you clearly don't have much going on. Maybe you should actually get out every now and then. Sitting in front of a computer trying to argue with people all the time shows just what a hopeless loser you really are. I hope you're having a good night at home pleasuring yourself as you sit in front of the computer trying to argue with people. And for the record, Milwaukee isn't even close to being a top-tier global city. Based on the fact that you even mention it in the same sentence as Detroit shows how pathetically behind the city is.
Very few cities in the US are considered top-tier global cities. NYC, LA, and Chicago are the obvious ones, but Minneapolis definitely isn't among them.

Quote:
I could go on and on for hours here, but a couple quick examples over the last few years.....Firstar and U.S. Bank merge and they move the corporate headquarters to Minneapolis, Miller and Coors merge and they move the corporate headquarters to Chicago, Metavante and Fidelity National Information Services merge and will be moving the corporate headquarters to Jacksonville. These are just a few examples why Fortune 1000 companies choose not to have their headquarters in Milwaukee. One of the main reasons for this is the pathetic public transporation system that Milwaukee has. If you, Milwaukee City or anyone else for that matter wants to argue that there's good public transportation in Milwaukee, you need your head examined, or you've never left the city of Milwaukee. Ridership on most big city public transporation systems is shooting through the roof, because of high gas prices, light rail lines getting built, etc., and Milwaukee is losing riders left and right. The system is so broken it's a complete embarassment. To think that when Northwestern Mutual has their annual conference of all the Financial Representatives coming into town they shuttle them back and worth on yellow school buses makes the city look flat out ridiculous. Would you like me to continue? Since you want to be such a wise guy, could you please give me examples of Fortune 1000 companies that merge with Milwaukee companies and decide to locate their combined headquarters here? Thanks in advance.
Milwaukee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The Milwaukee metropolitan area ranks fifth in the United States in terms of the number of Fortune 500 company headquarters as a share of the population."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee