Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 01:44 AM

2 posts, read 12,388 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving north of Milwaukee and are focusing our efforts on the Mequon/Cedarburg/Grafton area due to their location and excellent school systems. Currently we live in Illinois just south of the Wisconsin border in a somewhat rural suburban community (that is very quickly becoming a part of Chicagoland!). We've driven through all three areas, and while I prefer Grafton (new, fresh, open) and Cedarburg (quaint downtown, Americana), there are very few homes for sale of the type we are looking for (around 3000 square feet, 1/2 to 1-acre lot in a neighborhood with kids) in those areas, and so we have resorted to looking in Mequon because there are so many more to choose from.

The homes in Mequon do tend to be more expensive (I don't see why), although the property taxes are less. We have found a modest house or two we are considering, but what concerns me is what I've been reading and hearing about Mequon! It sounds to me that it is very upscale and even snobbish. (??) (It didn't seem so driving through it and stopping for gas, etc. People seemed mainstream/down-to-earth)

Are people in Mequon really that snooty, putting on airs? What leads people to believe this? Is it just certain areas and/or neighborhoods? And how about the kids? We have three younger children and I really don't want them being influenced by rich, spoiled kids who's parents drop them off at school and camps because they are both too busy working to pay for their expensive homes. Or kids that have so little parental involvement and too much allowance to spend it all on drugs. I have also heard that cub scouts/schools are hard-pressed to get parent volunteers for activities, etc. I need some reassurance from anybody that lives in/near Mequon that I will not regret moving there. That is in fact a friendly, accepting, down-to-earth, family-based community with sound values (not all about money and what you do or don't have). I understand it might be populated by more professionals, but that doesn't mean they can't be all of the above as well, does it? But, if this is not so, please tell me so! Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 09:07 AM

8,275 posts, read 22,986,942 times
Quote:
but what concerns me is what I've been reading and hearing about Mequon! It sounds to me that it is very upscale and even snobbish. (??) (It didn't seem so driving through it and stopping for gas, etc. People seemed mainstream/down-to-earth)
I wouldn't worry about the snobbish thing however you're more apt to run into them in upscale areas such as Mequon.

Quote:
re people in Mequon really that snooty, putting on airs? What leads people to believe this? Is it just certain areas and/or neighborhoods?
No their not all like that. Mequon has this stigma due to the nice homes and the people that live their such as nba athletes and baseball players and sports coaches. You'll find this common with all of Milwaukee's North Shore suburbs their very similar to Chicago's North Shore. Would you be shocked to find snob's in Lake Forest? don't be shocked if you run into some in Mequon or River Hills.

Too answer your thread, Mequon is not too upscale but a nice example of too upscale would be River Hills or Chenequa.

here this link might help to identify the most upscale communities in the Milwaukee area

http://www.city-data.com/forum/milwa...-prestige.html

Old 07-30-2009, 11:03 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,592,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sar3 View Post
My husband and I are moving north of Milwaukee and are focusing our efforts on the Mequon/Cedarburg/Grafton area due to their location and excellent school systems. Currently we live in Illinois just south of the Wisconsin border in a somewhat rural suburban community (that is very quickly becoming a part of Chicagoland!). We've driven through all three areas, and while I prefer Grafton (new, fresh, open) and Cedarburg (quaint downtown, Americana), there are very few homes for sale of the type we are looking for (around 3000 square feet, 1/2 to 1-acre lot in a neighborhood with kids) in those areas, and so we have resorted to looking in Mequon because there are so many more to choose from.

The homes in Mequon do tend to be more expensive (I don't see why), although the property taxes are less. We have found a modest house or two we are considering, but what concerns me is what I've been reading and hearing about Mequon! It sounds to me that it is very upscale and even snobbish. (??) (It didn't seem so driving through it and stopping for gas, etc. People seemed mainstream/down-to-earth)

Are people in Mequon really that snooty, putting on airs? What leads people to believe this? Is it just certain areas and/or neighborhoods? And how about the kids? We have three younger children and I really don't want them being influenced by rich, spoiled kids who's parents drop them off at school and camps because they are both too busy working to pay for their expensive homes. Or kids that have so little parental involvement and too much allowance to spend it all on drugs. I have also heard that cub scouts/schools are hard-pressed to get parent volunteers for activities, etc. I need some reassurance from anybody that lives in/near Mequon that I will not regret moving there. That is in fact a friendly, accepting, down-to-earth, family-based community with sound values (not all about money and what you do or don't have). I understand it might be populated by more professionals, but that doesn't mean they can't be all of the above as well, does it? But, if this is not so, please tell me so! Thanks so much.
See this post: http://www.city-data.com/forum/milwa...-prestige.html

Mequon is nice, but it's got the nouveau element, which brings a different crowd.

I saw Lake Forest, IL mentioned. I lived in LF for five years so I'm pretty well acquainted with it. There are less snobbish people in LF than Barrington, even though LF is much more refined. People in a place like LF are simply used to having money for their whole lives, where Barrington seems to attract people who are enjoying money the first time around. It's a totally different vibe.

The same goes for some of the Milwaukee suburbs. River Hills is pretty well established, as are Bayside, Fox Point, WFB, and Shorewood. Mequon is a mixed bag, as there are older sections and newer sections. Grafton and Cedarburg also have a mix of people. (There are a lot of homes that should fit your criteria in Ozaukee County.)

The best advice I can offer, is to gauge the area for yourself. Spend some time in it, and see what it's like. No matter where you go, there's going to be some element of financial status. It's the way the country is going. Racism is being replaced by class-ism, which IMO, is something to factor into a decision, when one looks at a home in Fox Point, and a similarly-sized home in Cudahy, and say "wow, I can get a great deal in Cudahy". That's true, but there is a lot more to the decision than just the property value.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you're an anti-establishment type who thinks like "the little guy" (whoever that is), the more expensive suburbs are probably all going to be something of an annoyance to you. Some will be much worse than others.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I saw Lake Forest, IL mentioned. I lived in LF for five years so I'm pretty well acquainted with it. There are less snobbish people in LF than Barrington, even though LF is much more refined. People in a place like LF are simply used to having money for their whole lives, where Barrington seems to attract people who are enjoying money the first time around. It's a totally different vibe
Way to read my mind, I wish I would have said that b/c that's what I was thinking. I know their are people in WFB and Shorewood that are way more snobbish than Mequon and Fox Point. Basically the richest suburbs aren't always the most snobbish or even hold the same amount of prestige.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:18 AM

2 posts, read 12,388 times
Thank you so much for your input! I am more reassured about possibly moving to Mequon.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:06 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,296,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sar3 View Post

LOL! As a Homestead High School alumn I can assure that Mequon is an excellent place to raise a family. Given the fact that it's one of the largest incorporated municipalities in Wisconsin in regards to land area, the community an array of choices. It's true that there are definitely some neighborhoods and subdivisions that are nouveau-riche--my mother detested a lot of these people. But there are also a lot of neighborhoods with middle-class/upper middle-class families that are very down-to-earth and outgoing. If you like a more traditional town setting, then Thiensville or Freidstadt are two great options for historic homes (Downtown Thiensville is quite charming actually). If you like more pastoral scenery, then some of the western and far northern portions of Mequon would be very ideal as they are heavily wooded and dotted with horse farms. If you like a lakefront setting, Mequon offers several neighborhoods along the lake as well.

The reason why Mequon is more expensive then Grafton or Cedarburg is that it's located very conveniently closer to Milwaukee's CBD. You can be Downtown within 15-20 minutes without traffic and 25-30 minutes with traffic. It's also close to the cluster of North Shore suburbs that offer a lot of commercial amenities--i.e. Bayshore.

In regards to the schools, they are among the best in the state--bar none. I loved going to Homestead as the classes were challenging, the extracirricular programs and athletics were top notch (I played football), and the student body is actually pretty diverse both ethnically and socioeconomically. As a black student, I had no problems at all and actually had a large group of friends (and was even elected captain of the football team as well as to prom court). The community really stands behind its schools and it kind of felt like being in a small-town atmosphere, although it's a suburb next to a major city.

Overall, I wouldn't trade my upbringing in Mequon for anything. It was a very ideal community to be raised and I'm glad that I took full advantage of everything the community offered.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:11 AM

Old 02-17-2010, 10:14 AM

2 posts, read 7,091 times
Hi. I just wanted to let you know that the perfect town for you would be Port Washington. I just moved there from Delafield Wisconsin..my fiance has lived there all his life and it is wonderful! It has a small town feel but the kids are so well behaved and the school system is great. Not to mention its only 20 minutes from Mequon or ten minutes from Grafton. In the summer it has a lot of festivals that everyone comes out for and its so fun by the lake going boating or they have great food and music by the water on summer nights. My fiances brother still is in high school and most of the kids there walk to school or ride their bike. The high school does a great job getting all the kids involved in activities and I think the total population of each class is 200 ish....nice and small. The people of port are soooooooo nice and housing is affortable. The downtown is nice with little stores, antique shops, second hand stores, and such. But there is also farm land and the simple country feel. Honestly for your kids is would be a VERY safe and honest place to grow up. My fiance and I are both on the fire department and this town is wonderful. Its my favorite out of Ozaukee County for sure. I hope this helps and you consider Port Washington! Welcome to the area.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:52 PM

21 posts, read 50,160 times
Just an outsiders view, when the kids from mequon mix with the real world, they are very unprepared coming from a very sheltered background.
Most everyone that lives there is rich. They are think the same and live the same.
In my opinion those I have met from the area are more snobbish than most.
This is obviously not true of everyone, just my opinion

Old 02-23-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicguy790 View Post
Just an outsiders view, when the kids from mequon mix with the real world, they are very unprepared coming from a very sheltered background.
Most everyone that lives there is rich. They are think the same and live the same.
In my opinion those I have met from the area are more snobbish than most.
This is obviously not true of everyone, just my opinion
This is more of a parenting problem rather than a Mequon problem. Mequon is not too snobbish nor is it too rich. River Hills maybe but Mequon, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee