Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 08:02 PM

28 posts, read 26,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I listen to a lot of Chicago radio and TV and I have also heard my Chicago friends all say "Milwaukee isn't just Chicago's most northern suburb?" or "Milwaukee, it's just a suburb of Chicago".
It's a way for Chicago people to minimize Milwaukee.

Now what kind of creeps would do somethin' like that? whoaaaaa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 07:03 AM

4 posts, read 7,006 times
Adding more large suburbs to Chicago is a bad idea. We already have a steady drainage here in Chicago from city to the suburbs. It's a vicious cycle of 'people leave city, city raises taxes on who remains' There are more empty houses and businesses in Chicago area right now than most places in America. That is from Crane's.
Adding a big sprawling city like Milwaukee, well, now you would be siphoning off even more population and at a faster rate. People who love the city of Chicago are not necessarily loyal about living within it, and Milwaukee would offer unique opportunities. Milwaukee's taxes/cost of living are high enough to keep away Chicago's "undesirables" but low enough to attract middle class and young business types who are willing to commute to Chicago. Since the U.S. government seems dead set on making life miserable for CEOs and others of wealth, don't expect them to be locating their homes inside Chicago either (like that happens anyway, right?) I love Chicago's suburbs but we need to get the city's neighborhoods going, and not just north to Evanston.
On another note, can you imagine what would happen if Philidelphia was ever considered a suburb of New York? There would be lawsuits, protests, and maybe even some riots.

Last edited by cubscrazysinc03; 11-04-2009 at 07:11 AM..

Old 11-04-2009, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,871 times
I usually do not post on these message boards especially city data but this topic makes me chuckle. Chicago is a vibrant shopping, tourist and business destination ..........but the people living there are getting tired of city government and seeing much less of their money. What happens and will continue to happen is that they cannot get the corruption out. It's too dug in. Newcomers to the area turn to Kenosha County for affordable living, and Chicagoans are turning there as well. If Milwaukee starts to take on Chicago's middle class, Milwaukee wins. They get the tax money and the boost. Chicago the city will not become some rich person's haven like San Fran. The weather is too much of a factor. Crime and homelessness will contunally rise and neighborhoods will continue to decline. People from Portland OR will tell you about their "suburb" of San Francisco status.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:13 AM

31 posts, read 88,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fonz View Post
Hey, the Fonz will drop it as many times as the Fonz wants. Got it?
Are you also the guy who thinks he's a surgeon?

Old 11-04-2009, 06:29 PM

25 posts, read 49,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubscrazysinc03 View Post
Adding more large suburbs to Chicago is a bad idea. We already have a steady drainage here in Chicago from city to the suburbs. It's a vicious cycle of 'people leave city, city raises taxes on who remains' There are more empty houses and businesses in Chicago area right now than most places in America. That is from Crane's.
Adding a big sprawling city like Milwaukee, well, now you would be siphoning off even more population and at a faster rate. People who love the city of Chicago are not necessarily loyal about living within it, and Milwaukee would offer unique opportunities. Milwaukee's taxes/cost of living are high enough to keep away Chicago's "undesirables" but low enough to attract middle class and young business types who are willing to commute to Chicago. Since the U.S. government seems dead set on making life miserable for CEOs and others of wealth, don't expect them to be locating their homes inside Chicago either (like that happens anyway, right?) I love Chicago's suburbs but we need to get the city's neighborhoods going, and not just north to Evanston.
On another note, can you imagine what would happen if Philidelphia was ever considered a suburb of New York? There would be lawsuits, protests, and maybe even some riots.

Well I don't think riots would happen in Philly, but they would never be reduced to a suburb. Milwaukee will not either.
San Francisco is a little different situation, but not that much different than Chicago. Both are heavily influenced by liberals. Both are asthetically pleasing in some way and both govts. are pricing their middle classes right out of the city . Both are starting to fail as functional cities. Chicago is losing not only population but is losing ground on other fronts as well.

One thing I don't understand about your post, why will CEOs and the rich not want to live inside Chicago?

Old 11-05-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Very few people have seriously claimed it would be a suburb. It wouldn't be a disaster if it was referred to as a suburb of Chicago though. It's just a title, it has no bearing whatsoever on the city itself.
Ayyyyyy tell that jazz to Kenosha, which is becoming a quasi-suburb. Politicians from south of the border ar now trying to locate a massive homeless shelter next to a quiet family neighborhood in Kenosha.
Traffic congestion is up 40% in Kenosha County according to a study reported in the local paper. Accidents are up. Chicago based franchises are popping up in the form of ugly strip malls everywhere and killing what was starting to become a rejeuvenated downtown. Crime is up... although Kenosha has always been relatively safe. Prices are creeping up even for things like groceries, which were somewhat cheaper before people started crossing the border to get them. Forclosures are still running rampant, but I guess we shouldn't blame the influx from Chicago for that. There is always going to be some bearing if you are considered a suburb.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:39 PM

335 posts, read 675,719 times
I thought you said that you didn't think most people in chicago knew that milwaukee exists. Then you say hordes of people are moving to milwaukee from chicago for work, school, financial reasons, and less congestion.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:06 PM

Chicago"schmo"23 may have been banned but to clear up your question. It's estimated that 60000 to 70000 persons relocated to Kenosha County and Wisconsin from Illinois in last few years. Those are the "hordes" of people I assume he was talking about. I think when he said that most Chicagoans don't know Milwaukee exists it was in a seperate post in different context probably as a slight to Milwaukee as being insignifigant. Contradictions are nothing new when a person from Illinois rips on Wiscosnin. The same person that badmouths & generalizes about Wisconsin will often later move here for sustainability or dozens of other reasons.

Last edited by the fonz; 11-10-2009 at 02:23 PM..

Old 11-10-2009, 03:09 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,105,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fonz View Post
Chicago"schmo"23 may have been banned but to clear up your question. It's estimated that 60000 to 70000 persons relocated to Kenosha County and Wisconsin from Illinois in last few years.
As much as I agree with you that their a lot of people moving to Southeastern Wisconsin 60-70,000 people seems high. Do you have a source to site?

I would also like to add that I can't believe how many IL plates you see in Milwaukee and not just downtown or near the colleges which makes sense but all over the Milwaukee area.

MetroMilwaukee.org: Your guide to Milwaukee relocation - Chicago Tribune: Chicagoans buying second homes in Milwaukee

Old 11-11-2009, 11:48 AM

8 posts, read 19,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
As much as I agree with you that their a lot of people moving to Southeastern Wisconsin 60-70,000 people seems high. Do you have a source to site?

I would also like to add that I can't believe how many IL plates you see in Milwaukee and not just downtown or near the colleges which makes sense but all over the Milwaukee area.

[URL="http://www.metromilwaukee.org/news/Chicagoanssecondhomes.html"]MetroMilwaukee.org: Your guide to Milwaukee relocation - Chicago Tribune: Chicagoans buying second homes in Milwaukee[/URL]

Interesting news article but it is over 3 years ago. I hear the second house buying "craze" has slowed way down for obvious reasons. It would not surprise me close to that many moved to Wisconsin although 70,000 seems a bit high. I also don't find it a surprise that there are Illinois plates in the Milwaukee area. I've been seening Wisconsin plates in western Cook County for over 40 years. There is a mutual enjoyment of both places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee