U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-17-2007, 06:27 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,457,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H81 View Post
I was a crusier around 97-99 before the big crack down changed, and I think times did change with it. I seen quite a few hit and run's I even thought I seen gunfire one time but, so I being much older I think it should be curbed, but at the same time kids are gonna be kids, so they will find something else. Maybe the city could setup some type of sponcered gathering location where there are events, games and what not. Having a city where teenagers don't have much to do leads to what we see. There are a lot of things going on for the 21 and up, but what about the 16-20 year olds?
Though options for 16-20 year-olds don't brim from every street corner, there are lots of options around nonetheless. There are various Boy's Clubs and Girl's Clubs, city-funded community centers, after-school athletic and art programs, and various other options of the sort at places such as the YMCA, churches, the conservatory, the museums, etc., etc.

In addition, there are plenty of parks and other natural areas where kids can go, and there are also places such as the Urban Ecology Center that can help kids better understand what the parks and environment are about. There are astronomy groups in Milwaukee that actively look for younger recruits, and I'm sure there are groups centered on other sciences and natural studies.

There are plenty of volunteer opportunities--responsible kids can always volunteer to help out with ill people, old people, people who need household assistance, trash-collecting, landscaping, graffiti removal, soup kitchens, and endless other needs. If the kids are good athletes or artists or have some other talent, they can work with younger folks to teach them skills.

Though adolescents under 18 years of age cannot vote, they can still get involved with political and social groups--various candidate races, political parties, environmental groups, etc.

Of course, if the kids are really so bored, they could study for classes and perhaps participate in extracurriculars at school. Even the most poorly funded schools in Milwaukee have sports, arts, and social activities. And students could always read interesting books, try to learn another language, or master any number of subjects.

Ultimately, the main problem I see in the "provide more programs" idea, is that kids are not really being encouraged to use their own intellectual and cultural resources to develop passions and interests in things beyond themselves. True, more programs can avail kids of more resources, but what's really needed is to teach kids that they really don't need a lot of hand-holding and fancy stuff in order to have fun and stave off boredom. And this applies to all sorts of kids, rich and poor, black and white. Many kids only learn to park themselves in front of the tv or the fridge, or to hang out with other bored kids and wallow in collective boredom. There really are lots of things to do--most of them quite simple and free--and quite a few venues to do things in. One challenge is ensuring that the kids have the ability and interest in finding and developing various interests, and another challenge is pointing the kids in the right direction to make these things happen.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 04:46 PM

2 posts, read 894 times
Default Crusing

Cruising is a social activity which consists of driving a car. It is an expression of freedom of possessing a car a driver's licence and a nice car to go with it. Cruising is usually done on a popular route. Cruise Nights which what happens on Hwy. 100 are evenings during which cars drive slowly, bumber to bumber which is an act of admiring other people's cars enjoying cars and the activity. Another form is a **** cruise which I have yet to do in my car on Hwy. 100 I believe people that drive motor cycles do this and I don't find anything wrong with this I am just comparing. A **** Cruise is when you cruise bar to bar that is a big thing that motorcyclists do and again I'm not meaning any disrespect to motorcyclists I love Harley's and I understand the enjoyment of it they do it to enjoy riding there motorcycles they have events for motorcycles all the time especially in Milwaukee. And yes a group of motorcycles can cause the same problems that cruisers can and yet it isn't illegal for them, why? If it's noise umm a Harley a crotch there all as noisy or more so than a supercharged car. And fast cars are noisy yes I don't get the difference between the motorcycles and the cars it's the same activity and I where I go is only Hwy. 100 I don't drink while I do it. I go to enjoy driving my car and to admire other people's cars. It's like a free car show. And we give business to all those businesses on Hwy. 100. A lot of business. I park at Culver's and Toppers Pizza and I do get food and drink from there and I see many, many people go in there for business as well as Culvers. There are other places we park also to watch the road and watch cars. May I ask what and who are we hurting from doing this. I can not speak from everyone that goes there. I am on the cruisers side I'm on the side of freedom. Most of us do not do anything illegal I don't ever see anyone causing problems in the parking lot I sit ever. I am 27 years old I am out of my kid faze I don't go out to cause trouble not saying that you do, but nothing that we do with our cars is nothing different than what the group of motorcyclists do. There are many other places that allow cruising such as Los Angeles, Modesto, CA, Detroit, MI, McMinnville, OR, Waukegon, IL and we have here in Wisconsin a destination that could be a premiere cruising hot spot if it wasn't for the law against cruising business for the companies on Hwy. 100 would probably be 10 times the amount there earning now. There are 2 cities that have outlawed cruising and came up with ways to stop it. The first is our own Wisconsin specifically, Milwaukee, WI. The other being Orlando, FL and I'm going to use Orlando as an example. Orlando put in place an ordinance that you could not do turnarounds on the certain strip that they used I guess all over the city. This ordinance said that the cars could not turnaround between certain hours of the night the sames hours that you would cruise at. This did help most of the cars had to turn around at traffic lights and the cars stopped because they though it was a hassle. Go ahead try it those businesses that helped with this lost all of there business and went out of businiess from that ordinance. What I would like to see is a time that we could cruise at when it doesn't disturb the local citizens usually we drive the most cars are on Friday and Saturday nights between 9pm and 12am which I would find as a local citizen to be respectful toward the time that we do it. I would like to make it legal on Hwy. 100 because all were doing is sit at the places we sit at the businesses and then after we sit and talk and usually giving business to the places we park. We go drive a certain stretch usually from Colder's all the way down to the Beloit Bridge and back. That's where I go and it's always the same thing. Again another respectful thing we do we keep it in a certain area as to not distrupt to many areas. Hwy. 100 is a perfect place for this. I have seen all the other people and most and I mean 90 percent of the people abide by the laws that are more serious than loitering but were not loitering were giving business to the businesses so in terms of law were not breaking the law. I think we should get a certain section to cruise in 1 day a week and the rest of the time it can remain the same. The cruising usually occurs between 9pm to midnight sometimes a little past that, but rarely do I see more than 20 cars after midnight. So for 3 hours on Saturday night from 9pm to 12am I think would be appreciated. I'm only asking to take away the cruising law for 3 hours on Saturdays and you can make it a certain time of the year that we can start to cruise probably during summer. I suggest from June 1st to September 31st. That would be every Saturday rain or nice 9pm to 12am from June 1st to September 31st that only give us about 20 Saturdays out of 365 days in the year the residents of West Allis and Greenfield would get 345 days of no legal cruising and if you allow us to do this once a week I believe the problems will stop because now we know that we will have chance to do it. We should have just as much chance to cruise as the motorcyclists. And I'm sure that we can find a way to make it so it can work. I would very much appreciate it. Only 1 night a week for 20 weeks it really is not that much that I or anyone cruising is asking for because after the summer is over most of the people stop cruising, unless its nice. I am trying to compromise we have every right as a car owner in the USA to drive it when and where we want. We pay our taxes and we all work we should be able to enjoy something that we enjoy within reason and it's not like going out and enjoying your car is an alien situation I would say at least 75% of the population on the Earth enjoys driving there cars and enjoys motorized vehicles in one way or the other. I don't believe that we are receiving the freedom that we deserve and to earn this freedom that's why I am suggesting the 20 Saturdays of cruising legally. I bet you the other nights will be far less busy as far as cruisers go. At least give us 1 summer to try it 1 summer and if it doesn't work then we go back to the way it is now. I know that people are angry about the cruisers, but it's something we enjoy doing and 1 Saturday for 20 weeks is not that much were asking for. Please give it a chance. In this reply I did not mean to disrespect anyone I am trying to help our situation for the people to better understand what were doing. That what we are doing is practically the same as other motorized vehicles out there. Thank you for reading my thought I know it's long, but I have been thinking about this for a long time. I just don't see anything wrong with cruising. Just because it's something that some people may not understand doesn't mean it's not fun to others. Cruising hurts no one and most of the cruisers are very good drivers and they respect eachother and eachothers cars that is what were there for again to enjoy the human made automobile it's just our time not the 50's. Thank you again for reading my post I hope that I showed people out there that don't like it why we do it. That's all we do not to make trouble but, just to enjoy cars. Have a good one.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:29 AM

834 posts, read 699,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev91284 View Post
Cruising is a social activity which consists of driving a car. It is an expression of freedom of possessing a car a driver's licence and a nice car to go with it. Cruising is usually done on a popular route. Cruise Nights which what happens on Hwy. 100 are evenings during which cars drive slowly, bumber to bumber which is an act of admiring other people's cars enjoying cars and the activity. Another form is a **** cruise which I have yet to do in my car on Hwy. 100 I believe people that drive motor cycles do this and I don't find anything wrong with this I am just comparing. A **** Cruise is when you cruise bar to bar that is a big thing that motorcyclists do and again I'm not meaning any disrespect to motorcyclists I love Harley's and I understand the enjoyment of it they do it to enjoy riding there motorcycles they have events for motorcycles all the time especially in Milwaukee. And yes a group of motorcycles can cause the same problems that cruisers can and yet it isn't illegal for them, why? If it's noise umm a Harley a crotch there all as noisy or more so than a supercharged car. And fast cars are noisy yes I don't get the difference between the motorcycles and the cars it's the same activity and I where I go is only Hwy. 100 I don't drink while I do it. I go to enjoy driving my car and to admire other people's cars. It's like a free car show. And we give business to all those businesses on Hwy. 100. A lot of business. I park at Culver's and Toppers Pizza and I do get food and drink from there and I see many, many people go in there for business as well as Culvers. There are other places we park also to watch the road and watch cars. May I ask what and who are we hurting from doing this. I can not speak from everyone that goes there. I am on the cruisers side I'm on the side of freedom. Most of us do not do anything illegal I don't ever see anyone causing problems in the parking lot I sit ever. I am 27 years old I am out of my kid faze I don't go out to cause trouble not saying that you do, but nothing that we do with our cars is nothing different than what the group of motorcyclists do. There are many other places that allow cruising such as Los Angeles, Modesto, CA, Detroit, MI, McMinnville, OR, Waukegon, IL and we have here in Wisconsin a destination that could be a premiere cruising hot spot if it wasn't for the law against cruising business for the companies on Hwy. 100 would probably be 10 times the amount there earning now. There are 2 cities that have outlawed cruising and came up with ways to stop it. The first is our own Wisconsin specifically, Milwaukee, WI. The other being Orlando, FL and I'm going to use Orlando as an example. Orlando put in place an ordinance that you could not do turnarounds on the certain strip that they used I guess all over the city. This ordinance said that the cars could not turnaround between certain hours of the night the sames hours that you would cruise at. This did help most of the cars had to turn around at traffic lights and the cars stopped because they though it was a hassle. Go ahead try it those businesses that helped with this lost all of there business and went out of businiess from that ordinance. What I would like to see is a time that we could cruise at when it doesn't disturb the local citizens usually we drive the most cars are on Friday and Saturday nights between 9pm and 12am which I would find as a local citizen to be respectful toward the time that we do it. I would like to make it legal on Hwy. 100 because all were doing is sit at the places we sit at the businesses and then after we sit and talk and usually giving business to the places we park. We go drive a certain stretch usually from Colder's all the way down to the Beloit Bridge and back. That's where I go and it's always the same thing. Again another respectful thing we do we keep it in a certain area as to not distrupt to many areas. Hwy. 100 is a perfect place for this. I have seen all the other people and most and I mean 90 percent of the people abide by the laws that are more serious than loitering but were not loitering were giving business to the businesses so in terms of law were not breaking the law. I think we should get a certain section to cruise in 1 day a week and the rest of the time it can remain the same. The cruising usually occurs between 9pm to midnight sometimes a little past that, but rarely do I see more than 20 cars after midnight. So for 3 hours on Saturday night from 9pm to 12am I think would be appreciated. I'm only asking to take away the cruising law for 3 hours on Saturdays and you can make it a certain time of the year that we can start to cruise probably during summer. I suggest from June 1st to September 31st. That would be every Saturday rain or nice 9pm to 12am from June 1st to September 31st that only give us about 20 Saturdays out of 365 days in the year the residents of West Allis and Greenfield would get 345 days of no legal cruising and if you allow us to do this once a week I believe the problems will stop because now we know that we will have chance to do it. We should have just as much chance to cruise as the motorcyclists. And I'm sure that we can find a way to make it so it can work. I would very much appreciate it. Only 1 night a week for 20 weeks it really is not that much that I or anyone cruising is asking for because after the summer is over most of the people stop cruising, unless its nice. I am trying to compromise we have every right as a car owner in the USA to drive it when and where we want. We pay our taxes and we all work we should be able to enjoy something that we enjoy within reason and it's not like going out and enjoying your car is an alien situation I would say at least 75% of the population on the Earth enjoys driving there cars and enjoys motorized vehicles in one way or the other. I don't believe that we are receiving the freedom that we deserve and to earn this freedom that's why I am suggesting the 20 Saturdays of cruising legally. I bet you the other nights will be far less busy as far as cruisers go. At least give us 1 summer to try it 1 summer and if it doesn't work then we go back to the way it is now. I know that people are angry about the cruisers, but it's something we enjoy doing and 1 Saturday for 20 weeks is not that much were asking for. Please give it a chance. In this reply I did not mean to disrespect anyone I am trying to help our situation for the people to better understand what were doing. That what we are doing is practically the same as other motorized vehicles out there. Thank you for reading my thought I know it's long, but I have been thinking about this for a long time. I just don't see anything wrong with cruising. Just because it's something that some people may not understand doesn't mean it's not fun to others. Cruising hurts no one and most of the cruisers are very good drivers and they respect eachother and eachothers cars that is what were there for again to enjoy the human made automobile it's just our time not the 50's. Thank you again for reading my post I hope that I showed people out there that don't like it why we do it. That's all we do not to make trouble but, just to enjoy cars. Have a good one.
Holy paragraph Batman!

Old 06-04-2012, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 894 times
lol I know I wrote big post but, I really enjoy cruising on Hwy. 100. For me it's something to do other than drinking and sitting at home. It relaxes me because, driving my car is one of my favorite activities to do. As far as a boys and girls clubs are concerned those clubs are for children that are getting older but, have nothing else to do to stay out of trouble. I support clubs like that for younger teens but, 16 to how ever old the drivers are on the strip. As a matter of fact this is like a club and about 90% of the time no one is causing any trouble that would physically hurt anyone. And as far as noise for the residents it's West Allis a suburb of Milwaukee, it's a city, there's a lot of noise in a city. The majority of the cruising(driving) isn't done until Friday or Saturday. I could debate this all day long because, I haven't seen any proof that Cruising(driving) is any dangerous than regular driving or that it's dangerous at all. Obviously crashes can happen which I haven't seen one since I've been to Hwy. 100 I'm sure they happen. As for me I go out to Hwy. 100 to enjoy driving my car, I enjoy cruising with other awesome cars next to me, I enjoy parking and looking at the cars and hanging and talking with the other people. That's why I go, there is no other reason I go, just for the pure enjoyment of people driving cars and hanging out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee