U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 02:18 AM

7 posts, read 1,100 times

Advertisements

Milwaukee's Biggest Suburb.....Chicago!

Just kidding of course, although there is a tad bit of truth behind this saying. We recently moved to Chicago from Milwaukee and are finding it amazing the level of inferiority some Chicagoans feel about Wisconsin. Thought it was only the other way around, but it kind of works both ways, which is surprising yet hilarious. Seems to be linked to either football or the fact that so many lifers are leaving Chicago in favor of Wisconsin?? Not sure what.
But anyway we love it here in Chicago so far. And since there are plenty of Packers themed bars to be had in Chicagoland, I won't miss my Sunday fundays, strip cards, or touchdown shots!

GO PACKERS!!!!

Old 11-29-2009, 02:58 AM

Location: in the sun with all shadows behind me, in a small town with no "culture" to malign me
80 posts, read 21,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyve panzer View Post
Milwaukee's Biggest Suburb.....Chicago!

Just kidding of course, although there is a tad bit of truth behind this saying. We recently moved to Chicago from Milwaukee and are finding it amazing the level of inferiority some Chicagoans feel about Wisconsin. Thought it was only the other way around, but it kind of works both ways, which is surprising yet hilarious. Seems to be linked to either football or the fact that so many lifers are leaving Chicago in favor of Wisconsin?? Not sure what.
But anyway we love it here in Chicago so far. And since there are plenty of Packers themed bars to be had in Chicagoland, I won't miss my Sunday fundays, strip cards, or touchdown shots!

GO PACKERS!!!!

According to Packers-Bars.com there are 63 "Packers bars" in Illinois alone, most of them in the Chicago area which will be convenient for you. Will's Northwoods Inn is a cool bar in Chicago for Packers/Brewers/Bucks/Badgers games. The neighborhood will even remind you of Milwaukee.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:46 AM

147 posts, read 90,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Sharky View Post
LOL. Well this post stuck out like a sore thumb! I cant picture Chicago feeling too inferior to a bunch of farmers with cheese wedges strapped on their heads,, but if you say so (*sarcasm*)
That said I do think some Chicagoans might project some inferiority due to the whole second city perception. Isnt Chicago mostly just the big city playground for midwestern people from nearby states anyway?
Have you even been to Milwaukee? I don't know about you but I spent the first 20 years of my life in Milwaukee, and I've never even set foot on a farm. Try taking a look around before judging. Milwaukee isn't as big as Chicago, but it's definitely a city in it's own right.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:32 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,438,987 times
We also moved to Chicago area last year after 15 plus yrs in Milwaukee and Wausau.

I don't think it is an inferiority complex as much as a genuine like (in some cases "love") of WI.
That is probably due to fact that many Chicago people go to WI for fun/relaxation/vacation etc. This is an example of the grass is greener on other side symptom.

Here is my personal example of this scenario. I really like Mexico. This is probably because almost every time I have been there it has been for fun. I have not gone through the normal trials and tribulations of life in Mexico. I suspect if I actually did, it probably is not as nice as my mind has the place right now.

I bet this is the same for alot of Chicagoans. WI seems nice when you drive through the pretty countryside, and ski/fish on a beautiful lake.

Further, for whatever reason, a lot of Chicagoans don't seem to explore their own state.
We have been to many places around Chicago and outstate since we came here as there is no need to see WI anymore (been there/done that). IL actually has some pretty cool areas but a lot of these people still seem to jump in the car Friday night and drive north.

Enjoy it- it brings $ to WI and promotes a positive image as most IL people speak positively about WI.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Sharky View Post
LOL. Well this post stuck out like a sore thumb! I cant picture Chicago feeling too inferior to a bunch of farmers with cheese wedges strapped on their heads,, but if you say so (*sarcasm*)
That said I do think some Chicagoans might project some inferiority due to the whole second city perception. Isnt Chicago mostly just the big city playground for midwestern people from nearby states anyway?

The OP was obviously speaking tongue in cheek. NYC, I don't live anywhere near a farm and I don't wear a cheese block although I root for the Pack. There is a small segment of Chicagoan that are baffled and even sometimes a little miffed when someone chooses Milwuakee over a city like Chicago. Reading some Chicagoans comments on various website, you really wonder sometimes who actually has the inferiority complex. Not all people from Illinois "enjoy Wiscosnin." In fact, there are those of them who cannot stand the fact that some of their own Illinois residents choose WI over IL.
Milwaukeean know how good they got it. Great location to the best of the midwest and that INCLUDes CHicago. yes Chicago is our playground and vice versa, but its much more too

Last edited by latin3rdquarter; 11-29-2009 at 11:56 AM..

Old 11-29-2009, 07:25 PM

7 posts, read 1,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
We also moved to Chicago area last year after 15 plus yrs in Milwaukee and Wausau.
I don't think it is an inferiority complex as much as a genuine like (in some cases "love") of WI.
I was actually referring to certain people here in Chicago who openly dislike or "hate" Wisconsin for lame reasons--they seem to have an inferiority problem or perhaps an insecure need to belittle or minimize Wisconsin or sometimes Milwaukee, and other places too. One thing I guess I never picked up on when I lived in Milwaukee is that many Chicagoans view Wisconsin as sort of like the midwest version of Conneticut where many NYers have second homes etc. Many Chicagoans LOVE Wisconsin and spend alot of time and money up there, and that does not sit well with some in Illinois. Some Chicagoans also seem to throw alot of daggers at L.A. without cause as well.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:08 PM

4,028 posts, read 4,285,407 times
Quote:
I was actually referring to certain people here in Chicago who openly dislike or "hate" Wisconsin for lame reasons--they seem to have an inferiority problem or perhaps an insecure need to belittle or minimize Wisconsin or sometimes Milwaukee, and other places too. One thing I guess I never picked up on when I lived in Milwaukee is that many Chicagoans view Wisconsin as sort of like the midwest version of Conneticut where many NYers have second homes etc. Many Chicagoans LOVE Wisconsin and spend alot of time and money up there, and that does not sit well with some in Illinois. Some Chicagoans also seem to throw alot of daggers at L.A. without cause as well.
The Chicagoans I know like Milwaukee/Wisconsin a lot. The only real hate is towards the Packers, Brewers and sometimes University of Wisconsin.

And I've never heard (outside of City-Data) anything about Los Angeles.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:40 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,438,987 times
Quote:

I guess I haven't met those guys athough I have read some comments on here from people you describe. I don't think this forum represents that many people though.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:54 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,807,126 times
This seems like simple city vs. city rivalry. I think some Chicagoans belittle Milwaukee, and some Milwaukeeans belittle Madison and some Madisonians belittle Rockford, etc... Each city has a smaller version nearby to "put down," but in reality there is no comparison. Every city is unique and has good and bad. This happens everywhere.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:39 PM

6,862 posts, read 12,295,215 times
Didn't we just do this thread?

I sometimes joke around with my Chicago buddies by calling Chicago Milwaukee's biggest suburb just to get under their skin if they decide to get smart. I have been ripped and ridiculed for being from "po-dunk" Milwaukee where apparently we don't have electricity or paved roads. It's all in good fun though, you really have to try hard to find someone that actually hates Milwaukee or Wisconsin and refuses to come here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee