Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 06:10 AM

196 posts, read 473,645 times

Advertisements

I hear nothing but good things about Rufus King Highschool. This leads me to believe that the area around it is above average. Is this true? How is the area around the school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 12:20 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
The area is very similar to the new Sherman Park aka 60th and Burleigh/Roosevelt ave area. You go west of Atkinson and the neighborhood goes from well kept homes to crap in about .2 seconds. So therefore you will have some spill over effect. I would not shop around N.27th and Capitol at night nor during the day. Anything east of Atkinson.Ave is fine, in fact I was looking at some homes for sale there.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
The area is very similar to the new Sherman Park aka 60th and Burleigh/Roosevelt ave area. You go west of Atkinson and the neighborhood goes from well kept homes to crap in about .2 seconds. So therefore you will have some spill over effect. I would not shop around N.27th and Capitol at night nor during the day. Anything east of Atkinson.Ave is fine, in fact I was looking at some homes for sale there.
Thanks for the answer Milwaukee City. I had a feeling the town of Rufus King was a pretty nice one. I used Google's real-life maps, going to the west of Atkinson and reaching the western side of Arlington Heights does become ghetto pretty quickly. Most of Arlington Heights is very nice and middle-class however. Going south past Atkinson Avenue down N. 15th street, I saw nothing but beautiful homes and a very middle-class environment. Arlington Heights is a very nice area all except for that western most side near N. 20th street which separates it from a not so nice Franklin Heights. The northern most side of the Borchert Field town isn't bad either but it starts to decline at about W. Concordia in Borchert Field going by my southward stroll down N. 15th street, as well as N. 13th street. This gradual decline beginning at W. Concordia and going south becomes blatantly noticeable once you've reached W. Burleigh where you know for sure you're in the ghetto. I'd have to say all the cruddiness and lower-class environment begins only at W. Concordia in Borchert Field and escalates from there.

Despite Arlington Heights' predominately nice housing and middle-class environment, I think it's definitely bound for some crime given it's western side, as well as the Franklin Heights ghetto at the west of it; to the east of it lies a pretty ghetto Williamsburg Heights (from what I saw on Google's real-life view); to the south of it you have Borchert Field where there's a gradual beginning of the ghetto. Given all these places are not to far from Rufus King either, you're likely right that Rufus King is in for some spill-over crime. I wouldn't live there because of it's surroundings, but it's very middle-class and pretty from what I saw.

Last edited by AmericanHistory09; 01-11-2010 at 01:12 AM..

Old 01-12-2010, 07:07 PM

36 posts, read 198,613 times
It is a very bad idea to judge a city based on street view. Do you really think you can tell how the crime rate of an area is by looking at street view? Look at Compton on Google Streetview, it actually doesn't look like the hell hole everyone knows it is.

Arlington Heights is the hood, no doubt about it. It isn't the absolute worst neighborhood in Milwaukee, but it is definetely still "the ghetto" in the large majority of people's minds. You are the first person in the last 30 years to describe Arlington Heights as "very nice and middle class". Last time I checked it was individual people who commit crimes and not the buildings and houses in a neighborhood. Just please, for the love of God, do not use Google StreetView to judge how safe a neighborhood is. Thank You

Old 01-12-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJZ 91 View Post
It is a very bad idea to judge a city based on street view. Do you really think you can tell how the crime rate of an area is by looking at street view? Look at Compton on Google Streetview, it actually doesn't look like the hell hole everyone knows it is.

Arlington Heights is the hood, no doubt about it. It isn't the absolute worst neighborhood in Milwaukee, but it is definetely still "the ghetto" in the large majority of people's minds. You are the first person in the last 30 years to describe Arlington Heights as "very nice and middle class". Last time I checked it was individual people who commit crimes and not the buildings and houses in a neighborhood. Just please, for the love of God, do not use Google StreetView to judge how safe a neighborhood is. Thank You
Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me! I am just learning here. Ok, so Rufus King is not the hood but the hood starts with Arlington Heights??? Does the same apply with Garden Homes across from Rufus King? That's not hood but it starts with Franklin Heights?

Old 01-13-2010, 06:54 PM

It is all the hood, alright. No one really uses any of those neighborhood names anyways except some people still call Arlington Heights the name. These are all technically neighborhoods but there are not clear organizations for any of them except maybe Arlington Heights. Franklin Heights is a name on Google maps that pretty much no one pays attention to. Its all the NORTH SIDE. I would guess most people in those neighborhoods arent aware of their technical neighborhood name.

And there is no ghetto line. How naive can you possibly be. There are good and bad blocks in every single part of the North Side. All the socially ghetto people don't have a conference and decide where they are all going to live. AGAIN, its people that make the hood, not the neighborhood. The so called Rufus King neighborhood is ghetto too. Ever hear of Bay View high school? Pretty ghetto students, but nice neighborhood. It can go the other way around too. The only real line between ghetto and not ghetto is the Milwaukee River, and Highway 41 north of Miller Park. And this line is very sketchy at best and really doesn't work. Go out and experience these neighborhoods and take a walk around instead of hiding behind your computer. And please, again, cover up your naive whiteness

Old 01-13-2010, 07:13 PM

Most people know the neighborhood they live in. I knew what area I lived in back when I was 12yrs old. Forest Home Hills. I'm sure everyone get their neighborhood letters in the mail. Plus I have a Milwaukee neighborhoods map on my wall. Ever notice the neighborhood signs attached to every street pole?

Old 01-13-2010, 09:16 PM

Yes, that is true for some neighborhoods, Milwaukee City. Especially on the south side. But i have never seen a Rufus KIng or North Division sign for a neighborhood

Old 01-13-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Yes, that is true for some neighborhoods, Milwaukee City. Especially on the south side. But i have never seen a Rufus KIng or North Division sign for a neighborhood
There's North Division High school and Rufus King highschool, mod cut

Last edited by golfgal; 01-14-2010 at 04:22 AM.. Reason: not necessary

Old 01-13-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Here is a great neighborhood map everyone should have:

Amazon.com: The Milwaukee Neighborhood Map (Maps & Atlases) (9781929687077): Inc. Big Stick: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: