U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:59 PM

196 posts, read 186,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemansaves View Post
Agree with you and disagree with you at tyhe same time. People from other parts of wisconsin do tend to overhype milwaukee , as if the whole place is some rotting cesspool.

However , I been to a lot of cities myself , including the ones you mention , and milwaukees hoods are every bit as bad as the cities you mentioned and are actually worse than most of them.

You gotta understand , you're talking about a city with over 700 shootings a year , and a hundred murders , and almost all that stuff happens in an area with less than 100,000 people. You'd be hard pressed to find a hood anywhere in america that can top that.
Actually, Milwaukee hasn't been considered very dangerous since the 90s. The previous decade and especially the previous couple years have seen a lot of improvement in Milwaukee. We're nothing compared to New Orleans Louisiana; Chicago Illinois; Los Angeles California; New York; Missouri.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 12:14 AM

100 posts, read 207,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanHistory09 View Post
Actually, Milwaukee hasn't been considered very dangerous since the 90s. The previous decade and especially the previous couple years have seen a lot of improvement in Milwaukee. We're nothing compared to New Orleans Louisiana; Chicago Illinois; Los Angeles California; New York; Missouri.
That's the overall picture. I'm talking about the hood. The actual hoods in milwaukee are as dangerous as any hood anywhere. Again , you gotta remember that milwaukee's hoods only make up a population of like 90,000. And almost all the 700 shootings and 100 murders that happen happen in those areas. And for the most part , those areas pretty much all run together.

I'd be willing to bet that you won't find an 80,000 people area of any city with numbers much worse than that. Not in nyc new orleans or anywhere

Old 02-07-2010, 03:29 AM

6,861 posts, read 12,260,725 times
Quote:
That's the overall picture. I'm talking about the hood. The actual hoods in milwaukee are as dangerous as any hood anywhere. Again , you gotta remember that milwaukee's hoods only make up a population of like 90,000. And almost all the 700 shootings and 100 murders that happen happen in those areas. And for the most part , those areas pretty much all run together.

I'd be willing to bet that you won't find an 80,000 people area of any city with numbers much worse than that. Not in nyc new orleans or anywhere
Well since Milwaukee was ranked as the 40th most dangerous city in America I bet I can find 39 that are worse than Milwaukee.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:22 AM

625 posts, read 974,479 times
Quote:

You make a point here, but I think this is the case in most large cities. Try Baltimore, New Orleans, Atlanta, Chicago and, for the most part, the same deal. Look at crime maps and most violent crime occurs in confined areas. Milwaukee is not unique in this respect. In all large and many medium and smaller cities the same rules exist. Stay out of certain neighborhoods and your time there will be fine. With the exception of Detroit, Gary, Camden and a select few.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:41 AM

132 posts, read 119,402 times
How on earth is KK the eastern boundary for the bad part of the south side? It sure as hell isn't by Oklahoma. Chase would make sense.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:16 AM

319 posts, read 376,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagbardCeline View Post
How on earth is KK the eastern boundary for the bad part of the south side? It sure as hell isn't by Oklahoma. Chase would make sense.
Yeah, I think the Interstate is probably a better boundary for the eastern boundary, but even that is a pretty broad brush stroke.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:19 AM

319 posts, read 376,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
You keep saying KK but KK stops at the Milwaukee river what street do you mean?. I would say the freeway 94/43 as the eastern border and west to 27th. KK river on the south and Pierce on the north.
Oops, didn't read the whole thread. My comprehension on Friday morning leaves something to be desired.

That's a pretty good description of what I consider, not necessarily the hood, but sketchy parts of the south side.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:20 AM

652 posts, read 849,651 times
Quote:
I may be slighly off on good hope , but there are some projects on 107th close to good hope that are pretty bad at night.
I'm not sure where you're getting your info, but that doesn't describe 107th and Good Hope at all. This is where Park Place office park is, which has seen a lot of new development over last couple years along with a couple of new subdivisions in the area, in Milwaukee. The pre-existing housing is fairly nice and stable.

Starting from 107th and Brown Deer Road and north to County Line Road sounds like what you described. That area has no government projects, but has plenty of crappy $30,000 2 bedroom condos and rundown apartments.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:19 PM

6,861 posts, read 12,260,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeproud View Post
Oops, didn't read the whole thread. My comprehension on Friday morning leaves something to be desired.

That's a pretty good description of what I consider, not necessarily the hood, but sketchy parts of the south side.
I live in Walker's Point or The 5th Ward whatever you desire, I feel completely safe and have lived here for 4 years. However as soon as I go south of Greenfield and west of the freeway I am a little more cautious. When I walk north to my house from the Bomb Shelter I always feel better once I am on the other side of Allen Bradley or "The Polish Moon"

BTW: If one has not been to the Bomb Shelter if you are a beer lover it is a must go!

Old 02-13-2010, 05:49 PM

10 posts, read 38,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaleighx123 View Post
Personally I avoid areas west of holton ave to 35th street in between north avenue and capitol drive. West Milwaukee is a nice village to look into, also Bayview is an up & coming trendy neighborhood. The East Side & Riverwest neighborhoods are nice yet starting to be a little more scarier each day. The south side of Milwaukee is for the most part Latino population but not nearly as crime filled as the north side of milwaukee.
I really wonder how many of the people who say these things have ever actually visited there. I spent a good amount of my life in that area and still work out there, yet NOTHING has ever happened to me. But once I moved to the "safe" east side, it took less than a month for someone to break into my apartment... go figure.

Besides, if you ask me, you're not a real Milwaukeean unless you've eaten a sandwich from Jake's Deli on 16th & North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee