Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 04:58 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyk.D.MKE View Post
Besides, if you ask me, you're not a real Milwaukeean unless you've eaten a sandwich from Jake's Deli on 16th & North.
I just asked a friend yesterday if Jake's was still open and he didn't think so but is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 05:02 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,002,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I just asked a friend yesterday if Jake's was still open and he didn't think so but is it?
I went by it a few days back and it was open.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:57 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
If it were closed, I'm positive we would have seen an outpouring of laments in the newspapers, tv, chatrooms, etc.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:44 PM

232 posts, read 735,826 times
Default Superior, Wisc

For a city of only 27,500 people on the very opposite end of Wisconsin from Milwaukee...I think as far northwest in Wisc as you can get, Superior is known for being one of those cities with a very small population yet tremendous rates of crime (like the areas you were talking about)...but it seems like it's not just Milwaukee, a lot of WI border towns are like that. In Minnesota the liquor stores aren't open on Sunday (I think they are in Wisconsin, right?) so that could explain why Superior has so much crime.

As far as neighborhoods in Milwaukee go...the first time I ever saw a store with bars on the windows (and one of those bank-teller type things that you have to walk up to at night) was at a convenience store near where I was staying (43XX N 17th). What neighborhood is this? I was 17 and staying with a friend. He said the neighborhood wasn't very good but I was excited to finally get to ride the bus and hang out that I didn't really notice!

Old 04-09-2010, 08:39 AM

711 posts, read 1,688,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth07 View Post
As far as neighborhoods in Milwaukee go...the first time I ever saw a store with bars on the windows (and one of those bank-teller type things that you have to walk up to at night) was at a convenience store near where I was staying (43XX N 17th). What neighborhood is this? I was 17 and staying with a friend. He said the neighborhood wasn't very good but I was excited to finally get to ride the bus and hang out that I didn't really notice!
That area is a mixed bag. Directly in the neighborhood, at that address, it isn't too bad. There are some nice, well kept homes and I've heard a base of middle-class AA that help to keep crime low. The problem is that it borders slums and very marginal retail areas that aren't very safe at night. This leads to a bit of spillover crime, but the residential part of the neighborhood has remained pretty stable.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:36 AM

131 posts, read 209,082 times
I do agree that the near north side (Little Beirut...) is the worst part of the city, but even still I don't worry about it. Harambee (to the west of Riverwest) is pretty shabby, and I know two people that were held up on North and Buffum, but I don't think I would worry if I lived there. I would certainly be cautious, but I wouldn't be afraid. The really bad part start at probably 6th street, out to 35th. While I probably wouldn't want to deliver pizzas there, I have never ever had a problem there. I'm afraid Milwaukee just isn't as scary as some of the suburbanites around it think, or as dangerous as it used to be.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:33 PM

711 posts, read 1,688,638 times
Beware of advice from single issue posters that show no reasoning or understanding of what they're posting about.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:16 PM

204 posts, read 752,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavinmilw View Post
Have you ever been the victim of a crime? Or are you just a bleeding heart liberal living in Brookfield who thinks they can solve all the ills of the ghetto? And btw, before you go shooting your mouth off, you might wanna get a clue.

Would you support a tax for a new Bucks arena?
Get your stereotypes right. Everyone in Brookfield is deathly afraid of anything east of 124th St regardless of rhyme or reason. And coupling "bleeding heart liberal" and any Waukesha County municipality is an oxymoron of generalizations. While you're doling out clues to the rational non-believers of your misbegotten fallacies, please "get a clue" for yourself.

Also, why don't we just skip to the part when you challenge the plurality of regulars here (that all disagree with you) to a physical fight... We're not interested in counteracting every single one of your hysterical and illogical rants on a piecemeal basis.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Why on earth would I challenge you to a physical fight? Where did that come from? Just because waukesha is a republican county doesn't mean there aren't a lot of self righteous liberals there who think we "can all just get along" It just isn't so. The VAST majority of the people living in the city of milwaukee are ghetto trash. Anyone who tries to argue otherwise needs to take a ride down teutonia or atkinson and challenge some "gangstas" to a fight. Love to see how that one would turn out.
So, what do the self-righteous republicans in Waukesha County think? That the isolated and culture-deprived subdivisions they live in are inspirational and fulfilling? And just how perfect are the vast majority of people who frequent Blue Mound Road? I'm sure it's stimulating to hear some of them talk about their dead-end jobs, the slow drivers they were tailgating, and the odd behavior that their bored and drugged-out teenage children have been showing.

Oh, I agree-I'm not a fan of loud music blaring out of cars, I'm not into baggy pants, and I certainly hate poverty (though not to the point of hating the poor).... But I don't think the suburbs you like offer a viable alternative. Is it really "Live in fear or live lobotomized"?

By the way, the "ghettoization" of culture is happening everywhere, but more because of tv--the suburbanite's favorite pastime. Negligent parenting is not confined to the city of Milwaukee.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
It may not be confined to the city, but it is far more rampant in the city. I'd be willing to bet that 90 percent of unwed mothers in the city have no idea who their baby's father is. Sad.
If it bothers you so, then avoid the places in the city where it's "rampant." The city is 96 square miles large: what's "rampant" in one neighborhood will be non-existent in another. Why would any rational person judge such a large city on the basis of the problems found in a small part of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee