Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 07:29 PM

371 posts, read 886,835 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping to move to Texas this summer. I know...a summer move to Texas is not a good idea. Well, I wanted to know if anyone has moved across the country? I also wanted to know what company you used to move? Finally, I wanted to know if you could share the cost of the move?

Thank you for all of your help.

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 07:28 AM

448 posts, read 1,820,288 times
I've used Coakley for a move a few states away as well as across the ocean and have been happy with their service. Prices vary depending on the quantity of your stuff. Most big companies will give you estimates on line or over the phone. Whatever company you decide on, it's probably safer to stick with the big national companies of which Coakley Brothers is an agent.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:40 AM

402 posts, read 976,612 times
I know of people who have used Coakley also for both person and business moves. excellent company.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:50 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,021,594 times
we moved from Wi to SC last Feb; ended up renting a 26' Uhaul for our stuff ( we gave away a fair amount of items before the move, that wouldn't have fit in our rental place down here ). I drove the truck, and my wife drove our SUv pulling our boat. We used "helpers" requested thru Uhaul to load up in WI and unload in SC; maybe $1600 total counting all but gas. And since we had to drive down anyway, didn't make sense to us to pay even more for a moving company ( i didn't get any quotes that were in same range as the method we ended up with ). I've driven trucks before so that part wasn't a problem. It worked for us, may not work for others...

Old 01-20-2010, 12:41 PM

16 posts, read 31,116 times
I moved from texas to wisconsin two years ago, we used a company call upack. We basically had to get our stuff into a uhaul to the upack place, load it up and they transport it. Same thing when it got here to Wisconsin. If you are gonna pack things very well, like with boxes for everything, then your stuff should be fine. We didn't do that and we got some broken stuff. We ended up paying like 700 bucks, but if I had to do it all over again, I would get something that was more hassle free.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:27 PM

92 posts, read 229,877 times
We have moved 12 times (with professional movers) and have used pretty much everyone at one point. This time, when we moved here, DH's company contracted with Merchant's (out of Racine). Hands down, they were the best we've had. They are family-owned and you have the same crew at origin and destination. They did a great job packing, and we had no damage whatsoever. I don't know how their costs compare as we had a fully-paid relocation, but might be worth getting an estimate from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: