U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 07:12 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,821,575 times
I've been reading this thread with interest. Some good and valid points have been made, and some arguments are based on one's bias.

I've worked in HR, and whether the applicant went to MU or UWM, it doesn't matter. It's the individual that you look at - how they interview, their success in school, are they a good fit for the position, etc. My daughter is a UWM graduate, and when she was hired as a social worker after graduation, she worked alongside a Marquette grad - same position, same salary. In the field of social work, many Marquette grads go to UWM (if staying in Milwaukee) for their Master's Degree, as Marquette doesn't have a Master's program in social work.

That aside, this argument can go on and on. After graduation, though, whether you're a graduate of UWM or MU, it doesn't matter - the fact that you have a degree, had success in school, present your self well, and are a good match for the position is what matters - NOT whether you went to UWM or MU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 06:45 AM

17 posts, read 40,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I've been reading this thread with interest. Some good and valid points have been made, and some arguments are based on one's bias.

I've worked in HR, and whether the applicant went to MU or UWM, it doesn't matter. It's the individual that you look at - how they interview, their success in school, are they a good fit for the position, etc. My daughter is a UWM graduate, and when she was hired as a social worker after graduation, she worked alongside a Marquette grad - same position, same salary. In the field of social work, many Marquette grads go to UWM (if staying in Milwaukee) for their Master's Degree, as Marquette doesn't have a Master's program in social work.

That aside, this argument can go on and on. After graduation, though, whether you're a graduate of UWM or MU, it doesn't matter - the fact that you have a degree, had success in school, present your self well, and are a good match for the position is what matters - NOT whether you went to UWM or MU.
You make the point that because one UWM and one MU grad got the same positions at the same salary rate, obviously name does not matter. Your argument is flawed though. Think about what a social worker does. Being a "good" social worker depends heavily on personality, work ethic, drive, etc. Depends entirely on the person, and you assume every other position does as well.

Professions like nursing, engineering, business? Entirely different story.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:18 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,569,625 times
61 posts in this thread and the original poster has yet to return.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:09 PM

Location: Lower Eastside - Farwell Ave just south of Brady St
243 posts, read 394,214 times
16 y.o boy from MN, I expect he did it to get a people posting and btw he has not been on this site since 2-21-10.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xghostsniperx View Post
You make the point that because one UWM and one MU grad got the same positions at the same salary rate, obviously name does not matter. Your argument is flawed though. Think about what a social worker does. Being a "good" social worker depends heavily on personality, work ethic, drive, etc. Depends entirely on the person, and you assume every other position does as well.

Professions like nursing, engineering, business? Entirely different story.
Please don't tell me you believe that? As I said, I was in HR, I know a lot of people in HR, and you are wrong. We discussed this thread, and you are wrong, plain and simple. I can't prove this to you, but if you did a study with companies, it would confirm what I am saying.

My son-in-law is a doctor at Columbia St. Mary's, and he said that hiring a nurse from one school or the other wouldn't make any difference. Maybe it matters to some when they are in school where they are going, but once they have graduated, the world is is pretty much equal for both. (It's not like Marquette is Harvard, by the way).

Old 04-21-2010, 07:59 AM

428 posts, read 1,099,390 times
Sometimes the person doing the hiring for a professional position who is a grad of a particular university may give preference to alumni but only if everything else is equal. Otherwise they will always look for the better candidate. Marquette grads are not smarter, harder working, or more experienced. Knowing plenty of profs there, I can say that many Marquette grads feel more entitled but a sense of entitlement does not translate to more jobs.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:41 PM

Yes, I agree that it certainly comes down to better candidacy. A UWM student with a higher GPA, more involvement, and job experience will certainly get a better job than a Marquette student with a low GPA and no job experience.

But sorry, it's incredibly hard for me to believe someone on a message board that essentially says, "Just trust me. I'm in HR and I'm right." I can show you hard proof, for example, that Marquette gets more hires than UWM at companies like GE, PWC, and in many more high-profile companies. I can show you that Marquette has a better business school, better nursing program, and better engineering school than UWM. The better candidate will always win, of course, but education factors into this decision.

Give me some proof. At least at Marquette we're instilled to question, and not simply to believe someone who says "trust me, I know".

Old 04-21-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xghostsniperx View Post
Yes, I agree that it certainly comes down to better candidacy. A UWM student with a higher GPA, more involvement, and job experience will certainly get a better job than a Marquette student with a low GPA and no job experience.

But sorry, it's incredibly hard for me to believe someone on a message board that essentially says, "Just trust me. I'm in HR and I'm right." I can show you hard proof, for example, that Marquette gets more hires than UWM at companies like GE, PWC, and in many more high-profile companies. I can show you that Marquette has a better business school, better nursing program, and better engineering school than UWM. The better candidate will always win, of course, but education factors into this decision.

Give me some proof. At least at Marquette we're instilled to question, and not simply to believe someone who says "trust me, I know".
I don't have a way to prove it to you, and you can believe me or not. I just know from my experience, that you look at the individual's qualifications, GPA, how they come across in the interview, etc. Seriously, whether Marquette or UWM, it doesn't matter. All things being equal, whether UWM or Marquette, you go with your instinct.

I would definitely hire a Booth or Kellogg grad over UWM or Marquette grads, because those MBAs are two of the best. UWM and Marquette are on the same playing field. You can think what you want, and you can choose not to believe me. I know what I know, and because it isn't what you want to hear, you don't like it. Fair enough - think what you want. But know, that your lofty opinions don't hold a lot of water in the real world. Northwestern, U of Chicago, and in WI, UW Madison hold water. (By the way, I've hired Stout grads over Marquette grads for some positions - it's all in the presentation).

Old 04-21-2010, 09:46 PM

428 posts, read 1,099,390 times
I wouldn't say that Marquette has a better engineering school. Speaking from a civil engineering perspective, their transportation program is better but UWM has a better structural program. When you compare an undergrad degree there is no difference. Neither school is renowned for their graduate civil engineering program. If you were looking for quality, Madison would be the preferred choice.

Overall Marquette has some stellar undergrad and graduate programs as does UWM. UWM is heavily expanding right now in many programs to compete directly with Marquette. Neither really has much of a renown outside of the region.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:22 PM

Granted, I don't know what kind of position you were hiring for, but if it was for anything other than clerical or unskilled work, you would be fired on the spot at the two companies I interned at. Hiring someone from a non-AACSB certified is taboo.

And since I'm supposed to take your experience as truth, take mine as well. Except mine is backed up with experience and numbers.

At the company I'm interning for, we put on a day for students to come in, learn about the company, learn about internship opportunities, etc. About 30 Marquette students came, and about 60 UWM students attended as well as a few from Whitewater, Madison, Loyola, and DePaul. The company hired 20 Marquette interns, both Madison students that came, and a total of 1 UWM student.

And since speaking from personal experience is the norm, I'll take liberty to as well. The UWM students were a step down from the rest of the group. I understand that students text during class, but not during a professional presentation where lunch is free and opportunity for an internship is there. They were dressed poorly, couldn't speak with recruiters, and it was apparent they had no business acumen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee