Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:02 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northstar17 View Post
Personally, I do find the older, more smaller brick homes more charming then that of the larger homes that seem to sprout up everywhere throughout these last couple of years (one of the reasons I dislike the outer ring suburbs.) One thing I really do miss about Chicago and Duluth are the alleys, it seems that none of the suburbs in the MPLS-STP metro are have alleys, and to me, that's a shame. Now how is Wauwatosa, it seems to be a little outside the immedite metro area, so I imagine that it would feel more like its own town versus a suburb (if that makes any sense to you,) or am I wrong. Also, how is Kenosha, it's a good size town that seems to be between Milwaukee and Chicago, I have heard some bad things about Racine, should I be cautious?

I like smaller brick homes etc...too....that isn't West Allis.

Wauwatosa, also known as Tosa, is no further than West Allis...one is South of 94, one is North. Tosa has a Western and Eastern part. I am partial to the Eastern part of Tosa. Very close to downtown via highway or side streets.

Don't confuse Wauwatosa with Waukesha. Waukesha is further out.

Racine and Kenosha have some rougher areas. They are towns within themselves. ....meaning....Milwaukee and its suburbs are a part of Milwaukee, .Chicago and its suburbs...etc....Racine and Kenosha are unique to themselves. Small town feel. 30-40 minutes South.

Based on your previous posts...I don't think you would be as interested in these places. Further out...hit and miss, lots of economically deprived and downtrodden areas of both. Why commute 40 minutes to Milwaukee when there are so many other options in Milwaukee? A trip to Chicago would be 30-40 minutes shorter however, I'd stick with Milwaukee. Plenty of options in Milwaukee.

You are coming from Minneapolis, much bigger, however, a far out suburb. Your age and lifestyle...kids family, single, younger older helps to know too.

If you are looking for older homes etc.., Tosa is older. Waukesha is out further, 30 minutes...older. North side is more expensive. East Side has older. PArts of Whitefish Bay, though more expensive has older.

Milwaukee feels very different depending on what part of town.....i.e. North side burbs vs South side...or West...Lower East Side...etc...downtown,Third Ward....all have a different feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 11:07 AM

8 posts, read 170,312 times
Opps...my mistake, I did mean Waukesha (please understand that we don't have such exotic names like Wauwatosa or Waukesha up in MPLS-STP area, so it can get somewhat confusing to someone who is use to such generic, run-of-the-mill names like Maple Grove and Maplewood.) Though it sounds as if Wauwatosa is the better pick for somone with my preferences. As for Kenosha-Racine, you had a very good point, why live between the two when you could just choose one and still be relatively close to the other. Besides, Milwaukee has plenty more to offer other then Chicago's neighbor to the north. Now I looked up some neighborhoods within Milwaukee and the two that stood out to me were Jacobus Park and Story Hill, which is close to Miller Park (a beautiful stadium I must add, much better then our Metrodome.) Would these areas be right for a 25 year-old guy who enjoys sports and the outdoors, and would they be good to raise a family if one day I do meet Mrs. Right (sorry for the kind-of-personal rant right there.) How do the different sides of town feel to one another in retrospect, one thing about Minneapolis was that each side could vastly differ from the next one. Suburbs were also the same way, each side tends to have its own character to it, or it was that way up untill the last couple of years, now they all seem to blend together. Which side of the 'burbs seem to offer the most to what I'm looking for. Oh, and by the way, you guys have been so helpful and friendly, forget 'Minnesota Nice,' it should be 'Wisconsin Nice.'

Old 06-14-2007, 11:56 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,825 times
I agree with the advice that fishtacos have given you. I would - even though they are geographically close by - pick Wauwatosa any time over West Allis (and would actually pick Wauwatosa over Waukesha as well)...for the reasons fishtacos listed.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 6,928 times
Default Minneapolis/St Paul

I was born and raised in St Paul and the Twin Cities area, and moved to Milwaukee 2 years ago. I am very biased towards the Twin Cities, they are cleaner, people are friendlier, and most importantly, the crime rate.

There are 20.6 murders per 100,000 in Milwaukee, and 8.6 per 100,000 in St Paul, and 12.5 per 100,000 in Minneapolis. Significantly less if you ask me. If crime stats are important to you, you might want to check into this.

As you asked, Racine is not very safe anymore, it has had more crime lately, I have heard one theory that more people are moving from Chicago, and bringing it with them, not sure if this is the reason or not.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:50 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulBorn View Post
I was born and raised in St Paul and the Twin Cities area, and moved to Milwaukee 2 years ago. I am very biased towards the Twin Cities, they are cleaner, people are friendlier, and most importantly, the crime rate.

There are 20.6 murders per 100,000 in Milwaukee, and 8.6 per 100,000 in St Paul, and 12.5 per 100,000 in Minneapolis. Significantly less if you ask me. If crime stats are important to you, you might want to check into this.
This might be true (the crime stats) in comparing the cities themselves: Milwaukee v. Minneapolis v. St. Paul. HOWEVER, I think you should also consider the very LOW crime rates in the vast many suburbs directly surrounding (and often directly attached) Milwaukee - look at the extremely safe / low crime rates of:

-Whitefish Bay
-Grafton
-Shorewood
-Elm Grove
-Cedarburg
-Brookfield
-Waukesha
-New Berlin
-Muskego
-Greendale
-Glendale
-Wauwatosa
-Menomonee Falls
-Lannon
-Sussex
-Jackson
-West Bend
-Hartford
-Oconomowoc
-Pewaukee
-Delafield
-St. Francis
-Port Washington
-Greenfield
-Hartland
-Germantown
**There are more.

Remember, the city of Milwaukee is a population of ~575,000 people. However, the entire metro area of Milwaukee - including surrounding suburbs - is greater than 1.5 million people. Thus, roughly 2/3 (one-million people) of the population of the greater Milwaukee metropolitan area resides OUTSIDE of the city of Milwaukee...but very closeby. The GREAT MAJORITY of the Milwaukee suburbs are the opposite of the city itself in terms of crime rates - very, very low.

Also, the city of Milwaukee itself's crime rates are absurdly high admittedly. However, let's not lose sight that there are some very extremely safe portions of Milwaukee as well which include the Downtown area, the East Side, the Third and Fifth Ward, and the Lakefront. Undoubtedly, Milwaukee's North Side and Central City have obscenely high crime rates which skew the numbers for the whole city which is a shame...and don't get me wrong, it IS bad in the bad areas for sure.

However, if you spend some time in Shorewood, Milwaukee's East Side, Downtown, Glendale, Whitefish Bay, Wauwatosa, etc., etc., etc., you'll have a very, very safe picture of what metro Milwaukee is largely consisting of.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:18 PM

The first question regarding where to live amongst your choices and background. Considering all the info given to me, I'd choose Tosa(no need to say Wauwatosa, way too much of a mouth full for anyone) to the near west, which is also near the Ball Park. .....It is the only western suburb I would advise for a single 25 year old. ......

I'd also consider the lower East Side, anywhere starting from downtown, North through and including Shorewood. East of Farwell Ave is nicer, until you approach UWM(University) and anywhere in Shorewood. Shorewood is first/closest suburb Norheast of city. Very safe, lots of buying and renting options. Shorewood is that older St. Paul feel. As is Tosa. .....I am basing these recommendations based on your interests and info provided. There are other places, but I think you would prefer these. Shorewood is generally more expensive than Tosa. Duplexes, two bedroom, 3 bedroom, 4 bedroom homes, etc...

On South end, you could look at Bayview.

These would be the three areas close to downtown, for a young person, ....that I'd try first, considering your situation. I'd also look at Third ward which is 100% loft, brick warehouse style condos of all sizes and costs on and near the water of the River and Lake, blocks from downtown.

So in review:

Burbs: Tosa, Shorewood, Bayview
City, Lower East Side and Third Ward, or downtown, East and North end where it is more residential.

The price ranges will vary quite a bit in this areas, and within their own area.

But I'd try these first.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:32 PM

Milwaukee is safe. There are definitely areas to avoid, Northwest of downtown, and west of downtown.

Downtown is very safe, walking at night etc...not an issue. Use your head, etc...know where to go and when...etc...and where to avoid.

Milwaukee isn't an aesthic squeaky clean town, and it does turn off some people, not the first time I've heard it, and I do believe it to be a negative. You can have character in homes, neighborhoods, people etc...and be much cleaner. Improvements are happening.

I'd say much of Milwaukee is polite but stand-offish. The general reputation is very friendly, etc...which many born and raised locals(not me) would not agree with and would argue it isn't overly friendly in comparison to some other places, but polite and tolerant etc...

Like most places, it is a mixed bag of pros and cons....depending on what you like, want and need.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:09 PM

103 posts, read 513,353 times
I'll also put my hat in for Tosa (if you do end up moving here).

I live on Wisconsin Avenue, directly south of the medical complex. Tosa is a little more affordable than a Shorewood et al (a former resident), and has a nice feel to it.... great parks around, close grocery stores (Sendik's), shopping, and safe!

West Allis, IMO, is not a good choice (I've always heard "White Trash Allis"). Its an ok suburb, but there is much more petty crime, and run down areas.

Also, as an aside... I just wanted to say that the lake isn't as much of a feature as some people make it out to be. It's visually beautiful, and you can boat on it, watch the fireworks, etc., but the lake is SICKLY polluted, and has huge problems with algae (which rots after awhile). I just returned from a drive down Lake Drive in Shorewood & the Eastside, and it SMELLS extremely nasty - just walk around Bradford Beach. Don't even think about swimming in it either (which makes summers for alot of people that much more unbearable).

Last edited by dkmisol; 06-26-2007 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: Forgot something

Old 09-18-2007, 10:17 AM

10 posts, read 38,832 times
Milwaukee's better. No competition.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:23 AM

10 posts, read 38,832 times
Default Racine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
Racine and Kenosha have some rougher areas. They are towns within themselves. ....meaning....Milwaukee and its suburbs are a part of Milwaukee, .Chicago and its suburbs...etc....Racine and Kenosha are unique to themselves. Small town feel. 30-40 minutes South.

Racine is considered part of greater Milwaukee. A suburb? i dont know. But it is part of the metro area. Kenosha is just another sizable city on that whole urbanized stretch along Lake Michigan, from the northern suburbs of Milwaukee to the southern suburbs of Chicago.

Last edited by MWKlover; 09-18-2007 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee