Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is better in your opinion
MIL 4 17.39%
MKE 19 82.61%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 03:12 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iburytheliving View Post
Hmmm, lived in Milwaukee over 6 years and have never heard that.

What? I have also heard most people pronounce it M'waukee. I have even had a person from Cambridge, WI ask me why do people from Milwaukee pronounce it M'waukee. I don't know why but I like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 07:50 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
MKE is the international airport code for Milwaukee, so why not use something that already exists?

MIL sounds dumb, but that's just my opinion. Besides, MIL doesn't correspond to an airport in the vicinity, so there is no reason to capitalize it as is the convention for airports. It's just as stupid as those pseudo-European country tags that states back east adopted for places like the Outer Banks ("OBX") and suddenly they popped up on every other car on I-95. Every suburb and little burg on the East Coast had one. No thanks.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:56 PM

180 posts, read 662,778 times
MIL "exists" just as much as MKE. It's been the main abbreviation for Milwaukee in the sports world for quite some time.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solas View Post
MIL "exists" just as much as MKE. It's been the main abbreviation for Milwaukee in the sports world for quite some time.
Aha. That's true. All the more reason not to use "MIL", in my opinion. However, they both beat most of the butchery of the word Milwaukee, usually heard south of Clybourn Street.

In reality, abbreviations are strictly useful in type, not in speech. It's useless to speak the acronyms M-K-E or M-I-L, when one can simply say the name of the city.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:38 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Aha. That's true. All the more reason not to use "MIL", in my opinion. However, they both beat most of the butchery of the word Milwaukee, usually heard south of Clybourn Street
Zinger! nice jab at the south side

I would like to claim M'waukee as a south side saying but it's all over M'waukee.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:27 AM

That's true, Mwaukee is something that's spoken by a lot of people. Although I don't mean to rip on the South Side (or take the thread off track), the version of English spoken in that area of the city, is somewhat unique.

Read the May issue of the Bay View Compass. The interviews for "On The Street" (2nd page) are an example. When I first read the individual comments from people on the street, I thought I might be reading The Onion.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:25 PM

180 posts, read 662,778 times
From my observation "M'waukee" is pretty universal throughout the city. But you're right that a lot of what get called "Milwaukee" colloquaisms is really just old southsider talk with no relevance in other parts of the city. Basically, if you see something on a t-shirt at that horrible Brew City kiosk at Grand Avenue, you can bet that the only "Milwaukeeans" who use it are Polish baby boomers who've lived in Cudahy for the past 20 years.

As far as the Bay View Compass... I think that's more a matter of their reporters not knowing how to properly edit quotes than anything else... still hilarious though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee