Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:57 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
As an aside, I'm curious about UWM's admission criteria. When and where I attended college, a simple spelling error--even a typo--could cut your throat, so to speak. Apparently proper English isn't a factor today. Universities are not doing a good job, if universities cannot develop students who are proficient communicators. Even allowing for the huge cost difference between my (now) $44,843/year college and UWM's comparatively cheap tuition, I still feel that there is no excuse for an academic institution to allow a competent student to graduate, if that student has substandard reading and writing skills.
UWM is pretty much open enrollment--I think around 85% of applicants are accepted. Like other large, public schools, graduation requirements vary widely from major to major, from school to school. At the university, college/school, and departmental levels, various courses are required in a variety of areas, but don't forget that a D is a passing grade. Throw in the pressure that universities feel to graduate reasonable but not fully developed students (in order to show success data to legislators and taxpayers), and there you have it: education driven primarily by the marketplace, politics, and public relations.

At UWM and many other places, some students get a very good basic and advanced education, but others skip over the basics in order to focus on major studies and career training. It's both the blessing and the curse of mass education in the United States. If public universities were allowed to develop and maintain the highest standards without fear of financial retribution (attrition = lower enrollments = less tuition revenue), things would be vastly different, but as it is now, such a practice is not realistic. This country (sort of) wants excellence, but funds mediocrity.

It's not just mass education, though. Private schools are generally self-sustaining, so they have to make sure students graduate. Some private schools have higher academic standards than others, of course, but is it a surprise that the best ones tend to have the largest endowments (and therefore the most wiggle-room to maintain high standards)? I went to elite schools and did well by them, but many dullards manage to graduate nonetheless--all you need to graduate from most colleges is a 2.0 total and a 2.5 (or lower) in the major. At most of the elite colleges, requirements are minimal; many students coast on their high-school level reading and writing skills. Is it any surprise that even the best colleges produce subpar graduates? Ultimately, it's really up to the students to want an education and improve their skills. However, education is one of those things that people really like the sound of, but make relatively little effort to acquire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 05:10 PM

39 posts, read 116,138 times
Another black eye for the city of MKE.... way to go Bayview H.S., way to go indeed. The parents and Students should be very embarrassed of their behavior! I mean really,... have some self-control!

Old 06-10-2010, 10:37 AM

50 posts, read 177,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicguy790 View Post
2642- Haha yes it is the house with the pink bathroom. You should have seen it when we bought it 8 years ago. The kitchen was bright orange. (PS that back porch railing is super dangerous we never went up there)

2623 - Yes i know that house too. The family is moving to Texas because of a job offer. You will have great neighbors for sure. On 90th street and 89th (the kids cut through a whole in the fence behind 2642) there are around 65 kids. Definitely a good environment.
Ha! Too funny - yes, you do know exactly what's up. I am so excited to take over that house and meet our neighbors.

BTW...the railing on the portico on 2623 is super sketchy too. LOL. And for what it's worth, I could not believe the mint-condition of that pink bathroom!

Old 06-10-2010, 10:40 AM

50 posts, read 177,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I'll say this about raising your kids in the city, maybe it is better to raise a 4-12 yr old in the suburbs but as a teenager living in the city!!! You would be the envy of all your friends. They would all want to come over and spend the night at your house. A teenager on the east side is a well..."a teenagers dream! "

Plus what's a better backyard, your yard or the lakefront? no even a question. This question alone is why I poster the thread about raising your kid in the city.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:52 PM

68 posts, read 179,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Wrong again. Here is a list of suburbs that are more diverse than Waukesha.

Racine, WI
60.91% White
20.32% Black
0.40% Native American
0.61% Asian
0.05% Pacific Islander
7.14% other races
2.57% two or more races
12.95% Latino

Sturtevant, WI
80.25% White
15.79% Black
1.15% Native American
0.40% Asian
0.21% Pacific Islander
0.83% other races
1.36% two or more races
5.73% Latino

Brown Deer, WI
82.04% White
12.51% Black
0.25% Native American
2.62% Asian
0.04% Pacific Islander
0.66% other races
1.88% two or more races
2.14% Latino

West Milwaukee, WI
83.58% White
3.50% Black
1.55% Native American
2.55% Asian
0.07% Pacific Islander
5.86% other races
2.90% two or more races
12.00% Latino

Glendale, WI
86.76% White
8.13% Black
0.23% Native American
2.96% Asian
0.10% Pacific Islander
0.49% other races
1.33% two or more races
1.77% Latino

Racine is not a suburb of milwaukee. Racine is its own entity and even has its own metro area. So Racine and Sturtevant(suburb of racine) don't count. sorry. Did you read my post? I already mentioned Brown Deer being more diverse, so why did you list it? Glendale is a tie so you can't say its more diverse. So basically you told me that I missed West Milwaukee. Thank you for pointing that out. The point I was making was that Waukesha is more diverse than almost every milwaukee suburb.

OF 19 SUBURBS IN MILWAUKEE COUNTY THERE ARE TWO MORE DIVERSE THAN WAUKESHA. THIS IS THE POINT.

[LEFT]Races in Waukesha:
  • White Non-Hispanic (86.7%)
  • Hispanic (8.6%)
  • Other race (3.3%)
  • Two or more races (1.7%)
  • Black (1.3%)
  • Asian Indian (0.8%)
  • American Indian (0.8%)
  • Other Asian (0.5%)
[/LEFT]

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Waukes...#ixzz0qUczkdgo

Old 06-10-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I will also agree based on my dealings with people when I tell them I live downtown and plan on raising a family in the city, I get the typical city bashing by suburbanites. I love the suburbs but I love the city a lot more.

Then usually you will get this line from suburbanites: "Well once you are older and have kids you'll want to move out to the suburbs"

Not really, I could see myself living in an urban suburb where you don't feel like you are in the suburbs IE: Tosa, Shorewood, WFB, South Milwaukee.

Here is another reason baby boomers dislike Milwaukee so much and I honestly this is the main reason. Back in their day Milwaukee was like leave it to beaver. Milwaukee quickly went from 20-40 homicides to 80 then over the hundreds in a very quick time frame(Crack epidemic). This made people who had never really dealt with crime issues having to deal with them more and more and soon they all picked up and relocated to the suburbs. Keep in mind I am 27 my parents day 16th and North wasn't a bad area to me it has always been a bad area. So I have grown up with the expectation of dealing with crime either in the burbs or in the city while my parents generation saw Milwaukee and most of it was very very safe. They saw the farms in New Berlin and the northwest side turned into an area where drug dealing was the norm, not so much anymore but they saw majority of Milwaukee as being very safe to what it was in the early 90's and it has formed a dis-taste for the city.

While my generation saw very bad crime in the early 90's and now can't believe that their million dollar condos and safe neighborhoods again in the city. Meanwhile the Milwaukee revitalization has been going on our parents just watch the news and don't venture into the city to see how it has been turning around so it is hard for them to believe that Walker's Point is safe and Bay View is nice and people do want to live in Brewers Hill and how nice the MU campus is looking. To many of them Milwaukee won't be safe again until their 20 homicides a year which in today's age just isn't realistic as we have become more violent in our society today than back in the 50's.

I hope I explained this well enough?
yes yes yes yes. +rep

Old 06-10-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
I agree with our post and I'll add something to raising kids in the city. I have a teenage daughter and a middle school son and it never worried or bothered me raising them in the city. Granted it's the east side, but it's not Waukesha Country. Now that my daughter is a teenage I think being on the east side is great. She goes to Starbucks, Lake Park, Riverside Park, Whole foods, Farwell and North area, Downer, Oakland, Brady, Riverwest, Lakefront etc and she loves it. I think it's a great area to be a teenager. Her cousins, who all live in Waukesha County, drive everywhere and don't have the access she does. Now I think she was a great advantage in the living in the city and I see it when I compare where to her cousins. The exposure to the city and what it offers and the experiences they have had has helped them greatly. I never had a problem with their schools either. There are plenty to pick from and many are very good. Between private schools, open enrollment and magnet city schools there should be no problem finding a decent school. My kids have a great time growing up on the east side and haven't had any problems with crime or thugs.
I have to agree, its awesome being able to walk places!

Old 06-10-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I'll say this about raising your kids in the city, maybe it is better to raise a 4-12 yr old in the suburbs but as a teenager living in the city!!! You would be the envy of all your friends. They would all want to come over and spend the night at your house. A teenager on the east side is a well..."a teenagers dream! "

Plus what's a better backyard, your yard or the lakefront? no even a question. This question alone is why I poster the thread about raising your kid in the city.
agree.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solas View Post
Simply presuming that your safety would automatically be compromised if you picked the wrong area is ridiculous and unnecessary. Again... they STILL don't get it...

Feeling it necessary and even justified to ask these questions is no less offensive than if someone from the city started asking which small towns upstate were "safe" based on being free of violent raging alcoholics, meth-addicts and trigger-happy deer hunters. The only difference is that people would waste no time painting the city-dweller as a self-absorbed elitist yuppie prick.

Seriously, I'll never understand why so many people insist on moving to (or near) Milwaukee when they they think nothing of questioning its safety. Shouldn't that be a pretty big indicator that maybe the city isn't for you?
are you saying 25th and locust is "safe" for a family and would raise kids there among other options?

Old 06-10-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
I am in total agreement with Trafton, Solas, Milwaukee City and a few others, and want to remind everyone again that the gist of all of this, is that there are so many who think that anything east of 124th Street, south of the north County Line Road, north of the south County line Road/7 Mile Road and west of the lake is Milwaukee and ghetto. (waits for all the smart ass replies)
no. i think north side west of I-43 is ghetto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee