Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 07:22 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times

Advertisements

So What do you love about Milwaukee? what things are unique to Milwaukee that you haven't found anywhere else? What makes you proud to say "I'm from Milwaukee". What does Milwaukee do that makes you say" I'm glad I live in Milwaukee". Now when I and most say Milwaukee we usually are referring to Milwaukee Metro which includes Milwaukee County, Waukesha, Washington, Ozaukee, Racine, Kenosha counties. Which is 1.8m include Walworth if you want to be over 2M IE: Milwaukee 7(Marketing Group).

A lot of these threads turn negative, this is a chance to speak your mind about what you love about city living/suburban living/exurb living such as Mukwonago/Port Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 07:33 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
I love Milwaukee's summers, I have always said if you put Milwaukee in a warm climate it would easily be considered a top 10 city. I love the fact for a CSMA pop of 2M+ we have very low traffic issue, I think some of that has to do with **** poor freeway design which forces us to take city streets which is faster than the freeway which spread our traffic out more which is why our freeways aren't as bad as others. I love Lake Michigan which offers a ocean view without the threat of Florida sharks or Hurricanes. I love our ethnic vibe, how in certain neighborhoods you can find over a dozen of countries being represented. I love our Parks, we have huge parks which I have been to lately.

I love that fact that in Milwaukee year round you can cheer on a pro sports team and multiple minor league teams such as the admirals which is a feeder program for the Nashville Predators.

I love the fact that we have many industries to be proud of such as Jockey, Harley, Northwestern Mutual, Kohls, Boston Store was started here, Miller and all the other brews.

I love our nightlife which since I have traveled we have some of the best nightlife in the country.

I could go one forever but let me leave you with one big factor on why Milwaukee is great, Chicago. Our suburbs touch each other and from Milwaukee's city limits to Chicago's city limits is 63 miles which is closer to than Madison at 65 miles. Admit it, Chicago would be not as great if it were up in AK. The fact that Milwaukee is so close to Chicago is a huge plus enjoy while you can.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:14 PM

88 posts, read 214,907 times
Not expensive to live here.

Only 90 miles north of Chicago.

Looking at it in my rear view mirror.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:22 PM

402 posts, read 976,715 times
My neighborhood (Brady and Farwell) on the lower east side, the oakleaf trail, the lake, the fact that I walk to work, diversity of people, proud of our history. I was born here and have no desire to be anywhere else. We had Daniel Hoan as Mayor, Henry Maier, Frank Zeidler, we had so many others that helped make us what we are today. Pioneers of industry. There is so much I could go on and on. Our park system, our zoo, museum, libraries, schools.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:25 PM

402 posts, read 976,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon357 View Post
Not expensive to live here.

Only 90 miles north of Chicago.

Looking at it in my rear view mirror.
So step on the gas and keep going.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:41 PM

88 posts, read 214,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
So step on the gas and keep going.
Wow,that's really a great idea! Thank you!

Old 06-09-2010, 03:27 PM

33 posts, read 144,619 times
I like the fact that there are several Fortune 500 HQ's here (as you mentioned). Provides some stability in case of a layoff or outsourcing. Can just go to a different one (theoretically)...

Old 06-10-2010, 11:03 AM

50 posts, read 177,829 times
What's UNIQUE about it that I can't find anywhere else, I am not sure yet. We don't live there yet. We are moving in 2 weeks! Yay!

I WILL say, that when we went exploring there to check it out as a possible "could we live here" location, I fell in love with it. I'm from the Chicago suburbs and in many ways, Milwaukee felt like home. I love old cities with old pockets of historical homes. I love the little shops, antiques, cafes and restaurants. I love the summer weather. I love how it's on Lake Michigan and I can grab my bike - or just a pair of shoes - and enjoy.

We'll see about the winters. Growing up around Chicago, I'm used to cold and snow...I think Milwaukee gets a bit colder, and more snow. The house we bought has a nice fireplace.

I like what appears to be a good outdoor culture. Bicycling, kayaking and stuff. We love to play outside. I look forward to finding out good spots to cross-country ski in winter as well.

I like how close it is to Chicago, where our whole family is. We miss them down here in St. Louis and can't wait to see them more! It will take them less time to come up to us than it takes them to drive to my brother's house in the faaaaar west Chicago burbs. Literally. 10 minutes less.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:02 PM

180 posts, read 663,181 times
For the record, I don't consider the suburbs to somehow be "part of the city." In large part because the "culture" of suburban Milwaukee disgusts me. There's nothing for anyone who doesn't fit the mold of the fat, ignorant, middle-class American drone.

But here's a few things I do like about "Metro Milwaukee" (which, not surprisingly, are all located in the city):

-the lakefront
-the music scene
-Brady Street
-the independent shops/restaurants in Riverwest
-the Third Ward... I enjoy just walking around there.
-the MAM
-Miller Park
-the various cultural events at UWM

There's others, but those are just off the top of the dome...

Old 06-11-2010, 03:40 PM

204 posts, read 752,430 times
Things I like about Milwaukee:
  • 88.9 Radio Milwaukee
  • Pabst Theater/Riverside Theater/Turner Hall Ballroom
  • Will Allen & Growing Power on 55th & Silver Spring
  • Lake Michigan
  • Doctor's Park
  • Oak Leaf Trail
  • Miller Park
  • Milwaukee Public Market
  • The Outpost
  • Proximity to Chicago/Madison/Green Bay
  • urbanmilwaukee.com
The things I hate about Milwaukee have nothing to do with the city, it's with the attitudes, misconceptions, and generalizations about the city from loudmouthed outsiders. That divisiveness just wears on me as an pro-city suburbanite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee