Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2011, 12:25 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joer11 View Post
There are? Tell us. I mean stuff you can actually eat. Have you had real mexican maybe you think the twin cities is real mexican.
This is pretty subjective. It is pretty pointless to mention any names because more likely than not you'll respond by saying the place is crap. To spin this back to you, if you think there are other places in the U.S. that have Mexican restaurants that are any better and more authentic than our selection I'd like to hear some examples. Outside of maybe Chicago and Southern California I don't think you're going to find that much of a variance in quality/authenticity when comparing them to what you can find on the Westside of St. Paul or in South Minneapolis. If you're talking about the suburb chains I think most would agree that it's essentially all Tex-Mex crap.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:29 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Quote:
There are? Tell us. I mean stuff you can actually eat. Have you had real mexican maybe you think the twin cities is real mexican.
How about you tell me a Swedish restaurant? Are there even any around lately? We're talking 2011 here. Do you live in the Twin Cities? Have you been to East Lake Street? I'm not sure what you mean by "real" Mexican, but presumably places that are run my Mexicans for Mexicans counts as real. Granted, it's tougher to as readily find some staples that haven't fully made it into mainstream Minnesota life (some stuff is still more easily found at specialty stores rather than the local supermarket), but authentic Mexican food is still readily available. It's far easier to find than your average Scandinavian food specialty item (although you CAN find lefse in the grocery stores, which I do appreciate!). Now maybe you don't like the food at all those restaurants, but it's tough to argue that it's not "real."

Old 06-16-2011, 12:35 PM

14 posts, read 21,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
This is pretty subjective. It is pretty pointless to mention any names because more likely than not you'll respond by saying the place is crap. To spin this back to you, if you think there are other places in the U.S. that have Mexican restaurants that are any better and more authentic than our selection I'd like to hear some examples. Outside of maybe Chicago and Southern California I don't think you're going to find that much of a variance in quality/authenticity when comparing them to what you can find on the Westside of St. Paul or in South Minneapolis. If you're talking about the suburb chains I think most would agree that it's essentially all Tex-Mex crap.
I didn't know you had a selection..

Old 06-16-2011, 12:42 PM

14 posts, read 21,199 times
Quote:
I wouldn't call Chicago a good mexican food place...

Old 06-16-2011, 12:45 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,656,764 times
Quote:
There are? Tell us. I mean stuff you can actually eat. Have you had real mexican maybe you think the twin cities is real mexican....I didn't know you had a selection..
You're looking for real Mexican restaurants, run by real Mexicans? The Mercado Central at Lake and Bloomington, for starters. There are several family run stalls there. There are several restaurants along Lake St, on Central Ave NE, and in S. St Paul.

But this is a stupid reply to someone who hasn't done their homework. Have you actually tried to find any?

Old 06-16-2011, 12:49 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Quote:
I didn't know you had a selection..
Have you been to Minneapolis? Visiting in 1960 doesn't count.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:17 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,465 times
Oh the trolls. They're so amusing. It's obvious this guy has no clue what he's talking about...he just wants to get us Minnesotans up in arms.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:27 AM

2 posts, read 4,968 times
Racism is not dead.

Racism is publicly frowned upon when it's overt, so people tend to govern themselves accordingly. When people say "It's not the 1950's anymore!", I laugh, because that is very telling. The 1950's was a time when overt racism was extremely common. The fact that it's not PC to be racist means that racist have to either claim they're not being racist, or be covertly racist. Hell, I've even heard Klansman claim they aren't racist. People want to be able to keep their attitudes, and exhibit the behaviors, but they do not want the labels. I know people who wish all gays would die, but if you call them a homophobe they will deny it with great passion.

The biggest reason White people hate these kind of subjects is because racism is almost always associated with Whites, in the same way that sexism is always associated with men. Racist minorities, and sexist women are not judged the same as racist Whites, and sexist men. Consequently, men sigh and/or roll their eyes when they hear the word 'sexist/sexism', and Whites sigh and/or roll their eyes when they hear the word 'racist/racism'. Is that fair? Of course not. But, it is life...

...and no one is going to hold them accountable to the same degree when everyone knows that the playing field is extremely lopsided. I'm an extremely ambitious minority, and because of this, I've been exposed to very naked racism. Minorities face a lot of opposition when they try to break through to the top. Honestly, it's not even arguable. I've been called 'darkie', 'boy', and have had people jokingly speak to me in ebonics to make their friends laugh. Why do you think the majority of the most powerful individuals in this country - and by power, I mean REAL power - are White males? I know it's the dirty little secret, but that's the way it is, and they have no interest in seeing that change.

It is very difficult for Whites to understand why Blacks still believe racism exists in a world where it's not as overt on a mass scale like it once was. ANYONE can see a minority being hung from a tree for approaching a White woman is racist. That's not even debatable. However, because that type of behavior is not tolerated anymore, how else do you think racist express themselves?

This is where we're disconnected. Whites want to believe racism is dead, because they're either tired of having the light shone on their racism, or they're tired of being seen as racist when they feel they're not. One of my best friends - a white female - held some very racist views about Black people, and she didn't even realize it. She dated Black men, listened to a lot of music by Black artist, but she didn't realize, until I pointed it out to her. that she looked down on Black people.

I don't consider her a 'racist', though. The belief in White superiority is learned, and it's not only Whites who believe in it. I'm not White, but I don't believe White families sit their kids down at the table and teach them that they're better than minorities. Lol. I doubt it works that way in 99 percent of the case. However, being a citizen of the world, you observe things, and you draw conclusions based on those observations.

Many Blacks hate White people because they don't feel welcomed around Whites. They feel at their mercy. Like, "If this White person wanted to do something to me right now, they could, and their is a chance they'd be protected by racist cops/judges/etc. Maybe. Maybe not. But, it has happened, and it still continues to happen" This causes some Blacks to lash out at Whites when they feel it is safe to do so(i.e. White males are frequently victimized in prison). At the same time, they think nothing of it because they ultimately feel like, 'My racism means nothing. This country is still controlled by your people.' While racism is wrong coming from anyone, it is undeniable that very little of major significance happens in this country with out a very rich White guy signing off on it. Whites don't understand what it does for their feeling of self worth to look up, see all the highly educated, wealthy, and powerful public figures look exactly like you. That tells you, 'Oh, I can do this too.' Out of all of these people, I have Obama - who may or may not get re-elected - Oprah, and ......

Whites don't understand it because they've always had it. This is ultimately why many Whites deem themselves superior. Do you know how many forums I've been a member of, and have shocked members when I revealed my ethnicity? One guy even said, 'Stop lying!?!!", as if being Black and articulate was an oxymoron based on his experiences. I guess that is possible, considering his response.

Why the shock, though? CuZ i DoN't TiPe lIk Diz?

If you're White, and are wealthy, moving into an affluent area is unremarkable. If you're Black, and you're wealthy, moving into an affluent area is often met with some level of suspicion. This is why you see the topics like on C-D like, "Does *insert city name* have affluent Black areas?" I've lurked on this forum, and you have Whites REALLY get upset by such topics. You guys don't understand. How some of you would feel walking through South Central LA is how many Blacks feel living in the United States. It's not that you WILL be victimized walking through SC L.A., but ...

Now, of course, I'm not suggesting that living in the US is EXACTLY like walking through a dangerous neighborhood, but the sense of not knowing when or if, and that you are a minority in the midst of a majority that you aren't sure whether they hate you or what they feel...

...it is not the greatest feeling in the world, and keeps you on edge when you're around them. Also it makes you more sensitive about what said and done to you. If you were in Atlanta, and some Black guy stepped on your foot without saying 'Excuse me', some Whites would assume they did it on purpose and because they were White.

You know what? You could be right. That uncertainty is why we're here, and why the race issue is likely to not see an end anytime soon.

Ok, I'm getting sleepy again, and must return to my sleeping quarters. I apologize because I was typing fast, and I'm sure my mistakes are many.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:57 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
How about you tell me a Swedish restaurant? Are there even any around lately? We're talking 2011 here. Do you live in the Twin Cities?
It's really funny you mention that, because literally the only Swedish restaurant I can think of in the Twin Cities right now is IKEA.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:01 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times
Quote:
It's really funny you mention that, because literally the only Swedish restaurant I can think of in the Twin Cities right now is IKEA.

There was a Swedish restaurant right by Menard's in Coon Rapids (next to the McDonald's) a dew years back. They really did it right! I bet they spent well over a million dollars on that facility. Well. It lasted a year tops. The food was positively authentic; extremely bland land without much flavor. Now they converted it into a bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul