Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 06:20 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,406,945 times

Advertisements

OK - so I'm looking to buy a home in the next 4-12 months. I've found out I really don't want to settle in Plymouth, and would prefer more of a small-town atmosphere. I've been looking at homes near St. Paul (I'm not working in St. Louis Park anymore, and most of my friends are in or near St. Paul).

Stillwater was my first choice, but it is way out of my price range (which is $50 - 130K) and a little far from the Cities. I really like St. Paul Park because it has the hills/bluffs and a real small-town, down-to-earth feel (reminds me of my hometown), and because it is very close to St. Paul. I'm also seeing a lot of properties in my price range.

My main question is - why haven't I heard anyone talk about it? It doesn't seem like an undesirable area (it's actually really beautiful). Is it just because of the refinery? Or is something else bad over there. It really seems like a great little quaint small town/suburb, and it's in one of the most naturally beautiful areas of the Metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 07:10 PM

200 posts, read 600,319 times
I don't know that much about the area, but my understanding is that St Paul Park isn't talked about much as a desirable place to live because of the refinery. Air quality may or may not be an issue. I've heard conflicting things regarding that.

On the other hand, Marathon Oil Corp plans on selling that refinery, so that may not even be an issue in the future.

Another thing to think about - Hwy 61 is your only real way in and out of the area, which I find to be a downside. I have heard that it can get pretty congested, but someone else will have to chime in regarding that.

Last edited by silverjet; 06-19-2010 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: add news link

Old 06-20-2010, 07:47 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
It just isn't that nice of an area. Traffic is a nightmare coming out of that area since there is only one way in and out, 61. The schools aren't very good so that doesn't attract a lot of people and resale isn't very good because of that. With Woodbury and Hastings as close neighbors, people tend to choose those areas instead.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:07 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,073 times
Well no one talks about it just because there really isn't nothing there and like golfgal said its not that nice of an area and its in a bad location with schools that aren't that good.
And its also extremely small

Its basically the Same reason why people don't talk about Wabasso, MN on these forums because what exactly is there to discuss about it?

Old 06-22-2010, 06:36 PM

Well, I like St. Paul Park.

I like small.

I could care less about schools (I'm childfree).

I'm just happy to hear there's nothing seriously wrong with the place.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:56 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Well, I like St. Paul Park.

I like small.

I could care less about schools (I'm childfree).

I'm just happy to hear there's nothing seriously wrong with the place.
Well I love small next to big cities like St. Paul Park.

Now a town like Milroy which is in the middle of no where,
no thank you

Old 06-22-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post

no thank you

Me too - one of the things I really like about SPP is that it's only 5 minutes from St. Paul, but still manages to keep that small, farm town feel.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:12 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post

no thank you
There is nothing wrong with Milroy if you like, small, rural towns and especially if you like to watch good town team baseball.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:29 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,362,280 times
Speaking of St. Paul Park, if you like the area and feel comfortable there I'd say go for it. The wife and I went there once to look at used cars and both had a very negative first impression of the area. We thought it was fairly run down, kinda sad looking and immensely blue collar....once again, that was just our impression from the 2 hours we spent there.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
There is nothing wrong with Milroy if you like, small, rural towns and especially if you like to watch good town team baseball.
Very true
but Im definitely not a fan of small rural towns but I have tons of family in Redwood County and they all love it. My mom also grew up in Redwood County near Wabasso, MN or somewhere in that general area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul