Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 11:21 AM

335 posts, read 675,888 times

Advertisements

nexis4jersey always has something negative to say either on citydata or skyscraperpage. why dont you same something positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 11:26 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
I'm not the owner obviously but imo the mall would have been better suited in a location such as las vegas where many millions visit each year or a place with no sales tax such as oregon or delaware. Or even for those that say it's in a good central location then why not a place like dallas or houston texas where "everything is bigger" but still centrally located in the country. To me personally i see it in a bad location and most likely will not get a chance to shop there because it dosen't attract me. I'm not going to fly to minnesota just to go to a mall that is the biggest around. If there were a tax incentive or if it were in a location more inline with my vacation destinations then i would have visited it already most likely. I'm not knocking the mall i'm sure it's very nice and many people have jobs because of it, but it just dosen't attract me. Does anyone think that the mall tied into the new baseball stadium that was built in any way? Did they use tax dollars earned from the mall to fund any of it?
1. Actually, MN has no sales tax on clothing, an added benefit to MOA shoppers. 2. Since when are Dallas and Houston "centrally located? 3. You wouldn't and I wouldn't come here just for the mall, but some people would! There are actually charter flights from Japan whose specific destination is MOA.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:31 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
1. Actually, MN has no sales tax on clothing, an added benefit to MOA shoppers. 2. Since when are Dallas and Houston "centrally located? 3. You wouldn't and I wouldn't come here just for the mall, but some people would! There are actually charter flights from Japan whose specific destination is MOA.
I am surprised how many people do come to MN for the MOA on a vacation. The MOA has more visitors per year than Disneyworld.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:47 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I am surprised how many people do come to MN for the MOA on a vacation. The MOA has more visitors per year than Disneyworld.
I was there with a friend from Omaha last March and they ran into two people they know. The Midwest doesn't have the density of weekend trips that other places have. MoA is a great place for a weekend run.

I don't mind MoA, I don't go there often but I don't go to any mall often. I got married at MoA I feel bad for teenagers now because thye're really not welcome anywhere. Instead of an age restriction I wish they'd enforce a behavior policy more.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:13 PM

427 posts, read 1,224,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Number 1 is certainly nice i did not know that so that is a plus. What about items that aren't clothing though like electronics or jewelry do they get the normal 7.76% sales tax? For number 2 last time i checked texas was more in line with kansas(middle of america) than minnesota was and not to mention they have better year round climates and bigger/better airports. I bet it's fun driving through the ice and snow to do some christmas shopping especially if you're one of the visitors to the mall that isn't from the area. Number 3 touche. I also didn't know that but that's great for the international guests. I bet there would be even more international flights like this if the mall were nearer a bigger int'l airport. I still say however the mall would have been better suited somewhere else. West336 said it best earlier about the name and why it was built where it was. I'm done responding in this thread, this topic is getting boring to me. I was just stating my opinion that i think the mall was not built in the best possible location and that i am not attracted to it due to it's location. Apparently many people are attracted to it though, someone earlier said it gets more visitors than disneyworld so the owners must have known what they were doing. Chow.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:30 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Oh man I bet that it was so awesome in 1992. I was only born in 1992, Lol so even if I did go I wouldn't remember it.
We went into the MoA on the first day and walked into every store. We didn't actually stop at very many ... our goal was to walk around the whole mall and enter every store.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:37 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Oh man, I've always wondered how easy it'd be to enforce that. Unless they have an ID of some sort, how can you prove they're under 16? Also it seems like they never advertise that, it'd be nice if they had signs on entrance doors and such saying people under 16 need to be accompanied by an adult. I only found out about this rule like around 5 years ago when my cousin managed a store there and he told me about it. I also have no idea how many security gaurds they have on duty at a time and I got no clue what the average amount of shoplifting is per day and such, and stuff like preventing shoplifting is better then kicking teenagers under 16 out unless they are causing trouble. I myself wish this was enforced A LOT more so we wouldn't have to deal with annoying teenagers, but what can you do? Like I said if they dont have an ID on them you can't exactly prove they're under 16.
I got ID'd once or twice there when I was younger at the entrance. It was probably a Friday or Saturday night, though, so maybe they don't do it all the time. Actually, I didn't realize it was even an issue, but then again, I usually do my shopping during the day....

Old 07-05-2010, 04:42 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I visited that mall last year and spent 3 hours just getting around the first floor,kinda lost interest in going to the 2nd and 3rd floors,i'd imagine if they are expanding the place they will just add more floors as there doesnt seem like there is a lot of room for lateral expansion.
They were looking at the surface-level parking area (I believe) across the street, adjacent to the IKEA.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:01 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,706,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Location. Location. Location.

Most cities don't have that much open land at that cost/SF right next to its major airport, between its major economic centers, and centrally located all at once. And that land only became available because the stadium was torn down. It was also somewhat of a trailblazer in terms of its size, and the weather compliments the need to seek fun indoors for a good chunk of the year. If you're visiting or even laying over, you can visit easily and not be committed to spending too much money like other tourist attractions.

nail. on. head.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:07 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,706,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
Number 1 is certainly nice i did not know that so that is a plus. What about items that aren't clothing though like electronics or jewelry do they get the normal 7.76% sales tax? For number 2 last time i checked texas was more in line with kansas(middle of america) than minnesota was and not to mention they have better year round climates and bigger/better airports. I bet it's fun driving through the ice and snow to do some christmas shopping especially if you're one of the visitors to the mall that isn't from the area. Number 3 touche. I also didn't know that but that's great for the international guests. I bet there would be even more international flights like this if the mall were nearer a bigger int'l airport. I still say however the mall would have been better suited somewhere else. West336 said it best earlier about the name and why it was built where it was. I'm done responding in this thread, this topic is getting boring to me. I was just stating my opinion that i think the mall was not built in the best possible location and that i am not attracted to it due to it's location. Apparently many people are attracted to it though, someone earlier said it gets more visitors than disneyworld so the owners must have known what they were doing. Chow.

It's Ciao for one thing, don't try to act cultured when you'e not.... Anyways...

Houston and MPLS fall on the same longitude....

I park on the 5th floor of the Parking Ramp facing north and have awesome views of MPLS and STP

There is a new TV show about mOa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul