Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 11:55 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,487,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
A pair of choppers.
I had to peek at this topic as I spent most of my life
there and that's exactly what I was thinking

Enjoy the New Adventures Poddy

EXTRA Socks are a must I still have nightmares about cold
wet feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 09:14 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,105,495 times
Don't go overboard buying stuff until you see what your cold tolerance is like. Most seasoned MN's hardly wear a winter coat except for the very coldest days. A warm jacket, hat, gloves and some wind pants will keep you plenty warm walking even on the coldest days.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:38 AM

6 posts, read 11,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Don't go overboard buying stuff until you see what your cold tolerance is like. Most seasoned MN's hardly wear a winter coat except for the very coldest days. A warm jacket, hat, gloves and some wind pants will keep you plenty warm walking even on the coldest days.
This. Most days I don't wear a jacket. When I do it is lightweight. I have a great tolerance to the cold. Now the oppressive heat and humidity is another thing all together.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:27 PM

52 posts, read 98,412 times
Quote:
This. Most days I don't wear a jacket. When I do it is lightweight. I have a great tolerance to the cold. Now the oppressive heat and humidity is another thing all together
Like today. I'm down in Minneapolis today and how do you guys put up with this?

Old 07-17-2010, 04:46 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,646,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmNotFat View Post
AC, pools and beaches!

Old 07-17-2010, 10:22 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,040,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmNotFat View Post
We learn to tolerate extremely quick

Old 07-18-2010, 01:21 AM

481 posts, read 1,811,584 times
Everyone's cold tolerance is different, and is usually inverse to their heat tolerance. If you have an office job remember you'll be exposed to the elements only for a few minutes and you do NOT want to wear long underwear in an overheated office building, or schlep around the mall in heavy boots and jacket for two hours (but keep the heavy duty stuff handy in the car in case you break down). For your daily outfit, just hit the normal clothing stores and avoid the heavy duty stuff you'll find in the specialty sports stores until you find a need to go winter camping or ice fishing.

You'll want to dress in layers - stuff you can put on and take off easily. The important thing is to keep your feet dry and have options for keeping your hands and face out of the wind. A winter jacket with an attached hood and lots of pockets for storing gloves and scarves is good.

Also have a mechanic check out your car for winter, and have a cell phone handy just in case.

Because of our Scandinavian background its become pretty common for people around here to severely under-dress. A bit of a macho thing but its also because personal thermostats are set pretty low here.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:42 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,040,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haver View Post
Because of our Scandinavian background its become pretty common for people around here to severely under-dress. A bit of a macho thing but its also because personal thermostats are set pretty low here.
Lol its funny because you see a ton of people when its around 0 outside not people wearing jackets or they're wearing a very light jacket and down south when its like 50 or whatever is considered cold down south, everyone is in a heavy jacket and everything.

I go out underdressed if just driving to the store, because your outside for a very short time then when your walking around the store you sweat a lot, and I hate when people tell you to take your jacket off when you get back outside, because it isn't going to get rid of the sweat and make you feel clean and such.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:09 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,696,294 times
Yeah, I don't even bust out a big time jacket unless it's below 0. Other than that, it's just a decent light coat

Old 07-18-2010, 12:18 PM

927 posts, read 2,458,772 times
Even if you are just going out to the store on a Saturday morning, chances are you will need to scrape your car from ice, brush off the snow, wait for your car to warm up, etc... you will get cold. I know what everyone means by a light coat and no long underwear if they are only going out for a second, but since this person is new to MN, let's be honest with them: they WILL get cold and wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul