Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 05:41 PM

617 posts, read 1,202,357 times

Advertisements

Which city has the overall lower cost of living? Taking account housing/rents, food, utilities, taxes, etc.

I heard somewhere that the cost of living index is the same in both cities, but I'd like somebody to confirm this. It looks to me like housing is cheaper in Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 07:09 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arushan View Post
Which city has the overall lower cost of living? Taking account housing/rents, food, utilities, taxes, etc.

I heard somewhere that the cost of living index is the same in both cities, but I'd like somebody to confirm this. It looks to me like housing is cheaper in Minneapolis.
According to City Data:

Dec. 2009 cost of living index in Minneapolis: 101.1 (near average, U.S. average is 100)

Dec. 2009 cost of living index in Seattle: 126.5 (high, U.S. average is 100)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Minnea...#ixzz0ueTq8lPl

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Seattl...#ixzz0ueU5c4AG

This doesn't surprise me ... I had a series of job interviews back in 2004 at the University of Washington, so we did some preliminary looking at housing, and we found home prices to be considerably higher in and around Seattle than they were in and around Minneapolis.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:45 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,861 times
I think for the most part the Twin Cities are generally cheaper though Seattle does have lots of good paying hi tech jobs. I have an older cousin who currently lives in Richfield, MN, he used to live right in Minneapolis Proper and moved to Seattle with his girlfriend, until he broke up. Then he moved back. I don't know what he though of Seattle though

The Pacific Northwest is a gorgeous area and IMO one of the most beautiful places in the country. Look up Seattle highways on youtube and they're stunning, except for the awful gridlocked traffic.
I also really like the gray clouds I see in the videos, while a lot of people seem to hate them, BUT if I lived there, I may think differently. Seattle is one of the few major cities I would love to visit.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:39 PM

Thanks for the info.

I'm living in Seattle and I'm planning to move to the Twin Cities once my lease expires. I do enjoy living Seattle, but I want to be able to buy a condo for under $50,000 and that just isn't going to happen here. I'm looking into Burnsville at the moment. What are your opinions on the suburb?

Also, I'm wondering what the people are like over there. People in Seattle are known to be polite, aloof, active, liberal, and reserved. I do great with the people here, so hopefully Minnesotans will be similar. I heard before that they do act similar there.

The prospect of bright, sunny, and snowy days in the winter and colorful autumns excite me. I'll be sacrificing the mountains, pest-free forests, the Puget Sound, and somewhat mild temps. The lakes and forests in MN will do just fine though. But if I can live with a healthier budget and a place I can own, I'm all for it.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:57 PM

336 posts, read 927,623 times
We recently looked at relocating to the Seattle area & it was definitely more expensive than the Mpls/ St. Paul area. I think that as a general rule, the attributes you described of people in Seattle could easily be described of people in MN.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:15 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhl View Post
We recently looked at relocating to the Seattle area & it was definitely more expensive than the Mpls/ St. Paul area. I think that as a general rule, the attributes you described of people in Seattle could easily be described of people in MN.
At the Seattle board theres always people talking about how expensive Seattle is and is it really as expensive as people make it seem to be. That all depends on many, many factors. Depending on your lifestyle and how much you make and if you're renting or buying and if you're single or married or have kids, it can vary a lot. But ya, I would say in general Seattle is more expensive then the Twin Cities.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:46 AM

19 posts, read 43,359 times
Quote:
I'm living in Seattle and I'm planning to move to the Twin Cities once my lease expires. I do enjoy living Seattle, but I want to be able to buy a condo for under $50,000 and that just isn't going to happen here. I'm looking into Burnsville at the moment. What are your opinions on the suburb?
You won't find anything decent here in the Twin Cities under $100K. I love love LOVE minneapolis, but seattle is one of the few other cities in the country i would want to live in. my sister and several friends live out there - it is so so so gorgeous.

when people ask what is so great about seattle, i say that it is minneapolis, but just slightly better in most ways.

but yes, housing prices in seattle are (slightly) higher. i'd say if you can make it in one city, you could make it in the other. when deciding between the two, there is no wrong decision!

Old 07-25-2010, 01:41 AM

Well, I'm a student and all I need is a low-end 1bdr condo. I see some cheap ones on realtor.com....not sure how much the dues are though... But I'll be renting once I'm there anyway. So no need to really get ahead of myself.

Yeah, both cities are my top favorites in the country!

Old 07-25-2010, 06:45 AM

628 posts, read 1,437,001 times
One of my friends lived in Seattle and I remember his rent being ridiculously high, but based on the research I've done the few times I almost moved to Seattle, it seems reasonably priced for neighborhoods where you're able to walk to everything you need.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:00 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Burnsville used to be one of the nicest areas in the metro. It isn't so any longer. There are still several nice areas but there are some pretty sketchy areas as well. Many of those condos are in those areas, thus the low price, but for a single guy, not as big of an issue. Where will you be working though? Is Burnsville any where near there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul